“Wonderful experience in Prague”
Review of Hotel U Prince

Hotel U Prince
Ranked #123 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Brisbane, Australia
“Wonderful experience in Prague”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Hotel is well located right opposite the Astronomical Clock in Stare Mesto.It's a short walk to most major sites.
It is an old UNESCO heritage building but has a lift. Our room # 25 has a long flight of stairs to the loft bedroom - can be a problem getting to the toilet downstairs in the middle of the night! Has aircon but could be more effective. Room is very spacious and comfortable. Big bed is very comfortable.
No coffee/tea making facility. Can be noisy at night but then you are in the heart of the action.
Go up to the famous Roof Terrace Restaurant for dinner or drinks. The view is rewarding. Staff were always helpful and friendly. Say hello to Pavel at check-in - is a very nice and helpful person. Get up early to see the Square before the hordes descend. Hotel is reasonably priced.
Cars cannot come in at certain hours of day so contact hotel when you arrive at closest drop off and Pavel will come and assist you with luggage. Email hotel when booking for best instructions. Hard Rock Cafe around corner is the closest we think. Dragging luggage over cobble stones can be tedious.

Room Tip: Check to see if bedroom is a loft. There may be a few steps(5) once you get out of lift to get to y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Michaela B, Quality Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear IntrepidTraveller4,

I would like to thank you for posting this wonderful review about your Hotel U Prince experience.

I am very happy to read that your stay with us was truly fantastic. It was great to read that you have especially enjoyed your Junior Suite with its bedroom on a mezzanine level, the rooftop Terrace Restaurant and the quality of our beds.

You have pointed out Pavel for special praise, and I will make sure that he is complemented for his great work at our next Front of House meeting.

I would like to also mention that Hotel U Prince is indeed in a pedestrian area of the city center and only a hotel taxi can enter the area with a special government permission.

Thank you very much once again, and we will be more than happy to welcome you back with us any time!

Michaela Bauerova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I came to Prague for the first time and I could not pick the better hotel! My girlfriend and I stayed in room 35 – no view, but the overall presentation makes up for it.

What I have never seen in any other hotel in the world so far is that they have a real Persian carpets in the rooms! Just to mention 35 is a standard double room. I asked the receptionist whether they are real, they provided me with loads of information including the fact they were special bought in Iraq, just to ensure that they get the best quality!

I found it very amazing. What I also liked is that it is a family owned hotel, this place has this unique kind of atmosphere, nothing is the same, it is not like one of those big chains –everywhere in the world the same, plus the décor/deisng fits with the city, antique but stylish. Staff very friendly, very polite and knowledgeable.

Before I booked this hotel I check their page on tripadvisor and everyone mentioned the same location - absolutely fabulous, right in the center. What not many people not mentioned the type of beds the hotel has – amazing, one of the best sleeps I've ever had.

So if you do like luxury for good value, do not hesitate and pick Hotel U Prince!

If I ever go to Prague again I will definitely pick this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cem Caglar,

I would like to thank you for your recent review on our Tripadvisor page.

I am very happy to read that you have had a great stay here with us, and the reception team in particular showed you such excellent service.

Hotel U Prince is indeed a family owned hotel, we are very committed to exceed every guest’s expectations by providing the highest quality amenities.

Thank you once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Asti, Italy
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Fantastic position in Old Prague. The room was clean with charming mezzanine and antique furnitures. The reception service was perfect, I asked for a same day reservation in one of the most popular restaurant in the city and they found me a table. Great atmosphere, especially at the Black Angel's Bar in the basement. Cocktails well done by prepared and professional bartenders.
I highly recommend this hotel both for business trip or vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Michaela B, Quality Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Alesaglietti,

Thank you for taking the time to post this excellent review!

We are most delighted that our location, the room and its design were to your liking and that you would recommend Hotel U Prince to other travellers for both business and leisure holiday.

We hope to be able to welcome you back very soon.

Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location right in the heart of the Old Town Square very close to bars, cafés, restaurants and shops. The hotel it self was exceptionally clean and the staff were very helpful and polite. The only down side to this hotel is also the location, being in the heart of the Old Town Square it can be a bit noisy in the evenings and you can hear the Astronomical clock chiming. The terrace restaurant in the hotel is a must visit, the food and service was excellent as was the view over the square. They also have the Black Angels Bar in the cellar were you can enjoy the superb cocktails. The breakfast was very good with excellent choice of food, should have no problem finding something you like. Personally I would highly recommend this hotel, I went with my wife for our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed for 3 nights and couldn't have picked a better place to be or to go. Many thanks to the U Prince Hotel and all the staff for making our stay so good.

Room Tip: The terrace restaurant is a must visit.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff H
Michaela B, Quality Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on our TripAdvisor page.

I was thrilled to hear that you have had a great time here with us at Hotel U Prince! We certainly work very hard to achieve this and it is rewarding and reassuring to receive amazing comments such as yours. We are a small boutique hotel and we have a very dedicated team who wants to make every guest‘s stay memorable, I am very happy we made this excellent impression on you.

I will certainly pass your comment about our breakfast and rooftop restaurant The Terrace to our Executive Chef, Lukas Vácha. I am sure he will be delighted to know that you found both of them excellent.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel U Prince in the near future!.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our little window opened up to a side view of the hourly ringing astronomical clock. Great view of the passing vibrancy of old town square. There are ear plugs supplied in one of drawers. But who wants to sleep so much when there are all these amazing cocktails to try down at one of the best bars in Europe, Black Angels bar. Good service all round but rooms a tad tired and cramped. Have to ask for the iron, the kettle ( own tea bags) but very nice staff. Keeps you fit as you may prefer the stairs as the glass lift takes too long. Just walk everywhere or grab public taxis as the hotel car is exceedingly pricey. Overall, great location.

Room Tip: The lower floor rooms may be bigger.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michal M, General Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Greenmambo,

Thank you for posting this very good review about your very recent visit in Hotel U Prince.

I am delighted to read you have enjoyed the view from your room, it is well said you can feel the vibrancy of the Old Town Square. I am also very happy that you had a great time in our Black Angel’s Bar. The team is very proud to be among top 4 hotel bars in the world.

That being sad, I am very concerned about your comment regarding your room. Knowing that I have talked to you on several occasions throughout your stay. I remembered that you mentioned that the hotel chauffer service is a bit too expensive however I would like to mention, we always advice the price in advance, we do not hide any prices to any of our guests. Furthermore, only the hotel chauffer can pick you at the entrance of the hotel since we are in a pedestrian area. We can only recommend our hotel chauffer since services provided by other taxi companies do not match our hotel’s expectation. We strive to provide an excellent experience to all of our guests and in the past we have received numerous complaints about local taxi services.

Thank you very much once again, and when you plan a return visit to Prague please do contact me directly. I will be more than happy to assist you personally to choose the perfect room for you.

Michal Marek
Bromborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was one of the best hotels that I have stayed in whilst on a city tour. I travelled with my best friend to the wonderful city of Prague, we had arranged a driver through the hotel to pick us up from the airport, he drove us up to the door of the hotel were a porter was waiting for us. On arrival we went straight to the reception desk, staff were polite and efficient. Our room was on the top floor overlooking the square and the famous clock, room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel is ideally positioned for everything the city has to offer, recommend the Terrace on the rooftop of the hotel, what a wonderful find. The Black Angel Bar in the cellar of the UPrince is a treasure. Would highly recommend this hotel to anybody, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Michaela B, Quality Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Lyndsay,

I was honor to read your first sentence – “this was one of the best hotels that I have stayed in whilst on a city tour”. This is what every Hotel Manager can really wish for.

It makes us also proud to know that you found our service polite and efficient and your room comfortable and clean. I am very happy that we made your stay in Prague so pleasant and enjoyable.

Thank you once more for posting your fantastic review and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed recently in Hotel U Prince for 1 night. And it was unforgettable for all the right reasons.
The hotel is located on Old Town Square. The building is situated in app 1 min walk from The Astronomical Clock. Easy walk to Charles Bridge and to many other attractions.
The building itself is a UNESCO protected building which is kept in a fantastic condition, does not feel old nor tired. It's utterly magnificent place!!!!
The Hotel entrance - which serves as an entrance to the Black Angel Bar which can be found in the Basement of the building – is welcoming. The Reception is on the 1st floor and the décor and size instantly make you feel very comfortable. The warmth of the small lobby which showcases some splendid flower arrangement is the perfect blend of history and modern day convenience.
The room I stayed in was a Junior Suite. It was a duplex accommodation next to the reception. The heavy entrance door with the most detailed lion handles - I have ever seen - kept me safe from all noises from the Lobby. My room faced to the inner courtyard, and its high ceiling and the huge period windows just turned into the perfect to relax and recharge. As my bed was upstairs I felt at perfect ease, it felt like a home. The modern features – HD TV in the living room, and 1 more TV upstairs, the modern bathroom – is lush. The bathroom amenities are carefully selected and the functionality meets with great style.
The rooms, just as the hotel well maintained and exceptionally clean. Cannot fault it at all!
Upon unpacking I found I have not packed my mobile charger, so I asked Reception whether I can borrow one. To my surprise, Jakub very generously offered his own personal mobile phone charger to use it. It was a much appreciated gesture. It is rare to meet such level of hospitality.
In the evening I had dinner on the Terasa – the very only terrace on Old Town Square- and must say was splendid. The view and the food are just marvellous, it is truly exceptional!!
The menu contains 6 or 7 languages for each dish and the pictures are making it easy to choose even for those who not necessarily speak the languages listed on the menu. (Their Tuna tartare is wonderful and wholeheartedly would recommend for everyone to try the Bloody Mary cocktail) Every picture of the dishes has little pictogram(s), which confirms whether it is suitable for Vegetarians, Gluten- free, etc. Great way to make the dining experience so much better! All restaurants should use this method! Made me feel at ease and my whole dining experience was smooth and enjoyable - which is at times rather challenging..
To complete my evening we went to the Black Angel Bar – which was just below the ground floor. The stunning design is being outshined by the world class cocktails. And I must mention Pavel – who made the best cocktail I have ever had. Not to mention how attentive he was and how much attention he paid to my personal preferences and dietary needs as I cannot drink every kind of drinks. He made a second cocktail which was equally brilliant!
As I am coeliac it is rather challenging eating out, so I made sure I advise the hotel in advance about it. In the morning at breakfast when I confirmed my room number I was told that my bread is coming in a second and very politely was asked by one of the waiters which table I choose to have my breakfast. By the time I put my breakfast on my plate; the gluten-free bread in a basket was waiting for me.
Breakfast was plenty and featured a broad range of choices: started from eggs, to meet, salmon and pastries, fresh fruits and fruit juices. I would absolutely recommend trying to different infused water (mint, lemon, orange). The food was great, I suspect locally sourced, and everything was so fresh. Whilst enjoying my breakfast I was listening happy Dixieland music – what a great way to start your day!
So I decided to extend my reservation to stay over the weekend. I should have known better that such a fantastic place will be fully booked for Friday and Saturday. I was recommended their sister hotel which was just a very brief walk away from Hotel U Prince, just a couple steps away from the world famous Charles Bridge. (If you want to know how my new accommodation was please see the separate review)

Room Tip: A/C units are fully functional - great news for visitors in the summer. Duplex Suite is great for...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anett K
Dear Anett,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful and detailed review on our TripAdvisor Page!

We loved to read all your kind comments regarding all the features you liked here in Hotel U Prince. It is especially nice to know that you appreciated the lion handles of your door, flower arrangements in the reception, the restaurant Menu and the breakfast. We especially delighted that we managed to contribute to a pleasant and enjoyable holiday.

Thank you also for the kind recognition of our team, Jakub and Pavel, we always strive to make sure all of our guests feel welcomed and looked after, I am glad that we could make the right impression on you. I shall ensure that all team members that have been involved with this visit are appropriately praised.

Moreover, I do apologize once again that we were unable to extend your stay here in Hotel U Prince however as I read your other review it was great to know that you also very much enjoyed our sister property Hotel U Zlatého Stromu.

It is a great motivation for us that our guests are leaving us with so many good memories of our hotel. We genuinely hope to see you again whenever you visit Prague again!