“Great hotel, great staff, great location”

Vintage Design Hotel Sax
Ranked #146 of 649 Hotels in Prague
GB
“Great hotel, great staff, great location”
Reviewed 14 January 2010

We loved the hotel. Vintage Design Hotel Sax in Prague is without doubt one of the best boutique hotel I have ever stayed at!
The location was great!! For me the nicest place of Prague, under the Prague castle, and close to Charles Bridge and the old city. Everything just 2min walking from the hotel.
The staff were very welcoming and extremely helpful. They were always on hand to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible.
Also the breakfast was delicious!! and the snack and afternoon tea was perfect after the all day out, then relaxing at the jacuzzi (all included in our rate! )
We will definitely come back one day..

1 Thank RosaMarienwtn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Start the new year I spent on the road. One of my trips was also the capital of the Czech Republic in Prague. I stayed here for only 3 days and I had the opportunity to live in a very nice hotel called Sax, which is located right in the center of Prague.
I was very pleasantly surprised to design the hotel, which was equipped in the style of 60-70years of 20th century. Room, where I was staying, was with an amazing view of Prague Castle. In my room I found the styling cues from Andy Warhol, which is my favorite artist. Unfortunately, I had the opportunity to inspect your stay in Prague, but the comfort I felt after a hard day's work release as a sauna and massage. Operation and servicing of the hotel were friendly, fast and sweet. This hotel can only recommend them for a short working accommodation and for a longer cognitive accommodation.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank KateCanada10
Oslo
Reviewed 2 January 2010

First, what i d like to say that i was really amazed of the design and atmosphere in this hotel. You fell yourself like in the movie of 60th and the interiors around are very creative.
All the people working there were friendly and helpful.
My apartment was roomy, bright and full of different useful things: DVD, laptop, and even camera showing the weather outside. It feels like home.
More of all they have 5 o’clock tea with the wonderful Czech pastry, plus there is a lounge in the evening they offer free snacks. Breakfast buffet has big variety: starting from yogurts, fruits, meats, cheeses, juices finishing with a hot plate.
There is also a spa room at your disposal, sauna, and massage. This people know how to treat clients, because I felt like a queen, enjoying in Jacuzzi. Even some small details are aimed at client’s desire.
Big plus of the Hotel is its location -directly in the old city center, where you will find numerous restaurants, pubs and bars.

I’d love to advise you this place, course it is just unique, cozy and value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Somerset
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We were delighted by this hotel. Its location, staff and facillties made it an outstanding base for a city break and we would most certainly return and will be recommending it to friends. From our warm welcome on arrival with complimentary drinks and hot towels to the daily 'afternoon tea' in the bar/lounge, via the stylish rooms and communal spaces the hotel was excellent. Staff were knowledgeable and very helpful but never intrusive. The location was both beautiful and perfect for exploring on foot being only ten minutes stroll to Charles Bridge. A lovely place.

1 Thank MissBinks
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 24 December 2009

The hotel is just great. I've traveled a lot and have something to compare with. The vintage design brings you back to 50-70s with it's agronomic shapes and stylish simplicity. You can find there world-known "Bubble" chair by Eero Aarnio or some of the pieces from Eames era. Not mentioning Luigi Collani design masterpieces! And all of that is united in cosy atmosphere, where you really feel at home.
Well, this feeling is created also by amazing staff- guys and girls are very helpful and enthusiastic. At the check-in we were offered a welcome drink and a receptionist explained us basic things about Prague.
Some nice restaurants at the area can be recommended- we visited the oned on Mala Strana and enjoyed it intensively.
We've got a design suite, with the view on St Nicola's church. Room was a fantastic experience. Clean, with choice of DVDs to watch and quality Yves Rochers cosmetic products.
My next time in Prague i will definitely stay at Sax, which gives the feeling of choosing your own lifestyle!

1 Thank mila_gamayunova
Mike126
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Stayed in Design Sax Hotel for 3 days at the beginning of December 09. Expected a lot from the place but what I experienced was far and far beyond my expectation/imagination.. Located in the best neighborhood in Prague - Mala Strana - full of hotels, embassies and cozy local bars and restaurants, most historical monuments Prague has to offer within short walking distance. The staff was fantastic, had the opportunity to meet Ayman and hotel manager Dasa when I had problems with my laptop not wanting to connect to their wi-fi network. They were super nice, professional and called a PC technician who solved my problem immediately. "Our customer is our king" seems to be their business philosophy, they make you feel great.. Thank you Ayman and Dasa and Sax for my wonderful experience. Whenever I am back in Prague I will stay in SAX, no question about that!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Mike126
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 November 2009

The style of the hotel is either tacky or cool, depending on your point-of-view, but that shouldn't be a surprise to any travellers, since it's a key selling point of the hotel.

Personally, my opinion changed on that almost daily, depending on where I was sitting, but overall it works pretty well.

We had room 33, which is an "attic" style room with a pitched ceiling. That's no problem for the bedroom, but the bathroom is a whole other story.

The shower is butted right up against the pitched ceiling, and the bath (in which you must stand to shower) is elevated.

Now, I'm 6'7" (~2m) tall and am used to struggling with shower fittings in hotels, but this was a physical impossibility! Even my wife, at a (relatively!) diminutive 5' 4" had a hard time using the shower.

Which means I had to use the unusually short bath instead.

That would have been ok, except in addition to being unusually short, the bath was also nearly impossible to fill, because the plug didn't seal properly. I had a quick look and although it's clearly easy to adjust, you need a hexagonal key to adjust it so I reported it to reception on the day of arrival, along with a loose sink fitting.

The sink fitting was fixed while we were out and about, but the plug never was.

A small thing to write so much about for sure, but it was quite a big deal, and the moral of the story is...

DON'T go for a room on either the third or fourth floors!

Other than that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sax, so long as you've grown to accept that hotel walls are almost universally made of cardboard and you're going to be treated to the pleasure of hearing your neighbours' every move(ment)!

The location is great, and even though the restuarant was closed when we arrived at 11pm, the reception staff had no qualms about recommending what turned out to be a great restaurant in another hotel just down the road.

Steer clear of the top floors (the building is irregular, so 3rd or 4th may be the top, depending which part you're in), get up early and you'll have a great time here.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple