“When is a 4 star not a 4 star”
Review of Expo

Expo
Ranked #448 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“When is a 4 star not a 4 star”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

With a caveat to the title, the hotel is marked as a four star but the bedrooms are not. It looks modern on the outside and the public spaces are good, with some really nice statues that make it a little fun and quirky. The breakfast buffet was very good, even by European and American standards, with a big choice with hot, cold, fruit, etc. It was nice to sit outside on the patio for breakfast and in the evening with a beer. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, and the reception is 24 hour. We were there the week after the bad flooding and the gentleman on evening/night duty whilst we were there was extremely helpful, he was constantly checking for updates on the bus routes, metro so he could pass on the latest and correct information to people staying at the hotel. The hotel is a short walk from the tram with a number of trams that take you straight into Wenceslas Square and other central locations.
We booked a suite as we had my niece with us. Not a bad configuration and the rooms (sitting room with sliding dividing partition and bedroom) were a decent size. There was free wi fi and a fridge. Down side, parking is a bit expensive (but it is underground and secure), and the rooms away from the public areas are a little shabby and run down, the toilet and bathroom are separate and for a suite for 2-4 people, it would be nice to have the option of a second toilet at least. Hence my comment on when is a four star not a four star – when the bedrooms are a little worse for wear and tired. If the hotel would spend a bit of money and refurbish the rooms then I think they could be a lot better. However, that does not detract from the value of the place overall. Another note, it is next door to the most amazing late 1800 expo center, do yourself a favor if you stay at the Expo and wander through the grounds of the expo center next door it is a treasure – somewhat run down but still a jewel of Art Nouveau. I went there on the Sunday morning when it was deserted and it was (with a tweak of imagination) a step back in time.
We have been to Prague many times, but this is the first time we have stayed in this area - there are a couple of local restaurants and a small store for water etc. on the main road with the tram stops (hotel sells tram tickets_

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The main reason for choosing this hotel was that the 110 anniversary celebration party in Prague of the Harley Owners Group, which was held in the Tipsport Arena Praha 7, next door.

I've travelled to Prague every year for the past 20 years. Usually I have stayed in Prague 6 area of the city. As a consequence I know Prague quite well but I've never really travelled in the Prague 7 area. I booked on-line and found it easy and convenient.

The hotel is modern, clean and efficient. WIFI is free, breakfast is included and there is secure parking at a modest fee.

The hotel Expo is not near the centre but there is only a short walk to the nearby tram stop. A 24kc ticket will take you down to the old town and Wenceslas Square quickly. Tram's were plentiful and provided a brilliant transport network. The underground stations that link in with the trams were flooded only for the second time in twenty years when I was there but there were more trams laid on in compensation.

The hotel was clean and pleasantly furnished. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. All those who I met on reception spoke good English. My room was very spacious with a well stocked mini bar.

My room had WIFI but the connection was poor, however, there was a Ethernet connection in the room so connecting to the internet ceased to be a problem.

I stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and found breakfast very good with ample choice both hot and cold. I even made up sandwiches for later in the day. There was cut fruit laid on at breakfast but no whole fruit that you could take away. There is however a mini mart just over the road that you can buy bottled water and fruit in at reasonable price. To buy this in the city centre would have been much more expensive.

I did not eat in but the menu in the restaurant and the food that I saw being served looked of a very high standard, the restaurant was always very busy. Yes I would stay at this hotel again,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank WandererFXRSC88
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Before I write anything about the facilities of the hotel, I'd like to say this stay has been the worst experience of my life!

I have travelled far and wide since childhood and have never seen/met any receptionist as rude and utterly audacious as at this hotel. Having asked for the room keys, not sure how the confusion happened but this lady handed over keys of another room. When I said to her these aren't my room keys, she snapped back in the most ungracious way saying "I just asked you!". Finally, when she got the correct keys, she decided to throw them at the desk, at my husband!!!! That triggered a few heated responses from me! But totally unabashed that she was, she just sat there with a smirk on her face!

After a couple of hours of retiring into the room when we went back to confront her, this lady with that same smirk, simply kept nodding. She was cheeky enough to say we could speak to her manager and that she had done nothing wrong and did not owe us an apology! Can you beat that...She's throwing keys around and saying she's done nothing wrong!?! I wonder if she had slapped one of us, would she have been wrong then!?! My goodness...We just couldn't believe that she had no regret or remorse for what she had done and she had the audacity to say that we could complain to the manager. Did that mean that the hotel manager would just simply let it go? Ridiculous!!! Never again would I step in this hotel let alone recommending it to friends or family.

When we checked in we were well received but am sorry to say that this experience ruined everything for us and we couldn't care about anything any more!

But I'd be honest with my feedback. So coming to the facilities, the room was good. So was the bath. WC was separate which was good too. Bed was made everyday and the room cleaned.

Breakfast was ok. Not a lot of options for vegetarians.

Location of the hotel isn't too bad. If you're not taking a taxi from the airport then coming to the hotel would involve hopping on to the airport express bus (AE) to Hlvani Nadrazi, metro train; Line C (Hlvani Nadrazi to Nadrazi Holesovice) and a tram; No. 12 (Nadrazi Holesovice to Vystaviste). It's a little walk from the tram stop (Vystaviste) to the hotel.

A little out, it is well connected with the city center. Day tram numbers 12, 17, 24 and late night tram 53 can be used to get there. Late at night the area is a little deserted but it didn't appear unsafe, for it is well-lit. There's a mini market near the tram stop which is open till 10.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NehaT28

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The Expo Hotel is a 4-stars property. The Hotel is good, considering the average for the country.
The staff is friendly, but the facilities are somehow a little old, and not really well maintained.
Rooms are clean but very basic (TV set is really old, and small, with very few international channels). Wifi works well all over the hotel, and it's free.
The restaurant serves a basic breakfast buffet, but it's not comparable with other 4-stars properties across western Europe.

Room Tip: rooms are all very similar.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank FrancoAmsterdam
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I went on a city break at the end of September 2012, staying at the Expo in Prague. What a wonderful city and we were very satisfied with our choice of hotel. It wasn't near the centre but we only had a short walk to the nearby tram stop. Tram's were plentiful and provided a brilliant transport network. The hotel was clean and pleasantly furnished, although a little dark. Staff were very helpful, particularly a young lady on reception who spoke good English, not many of the staff spoke English which wasn't a problem to us, we prefer to muddle through and try learn a little of the language - the receptionist was teaching us a phrase a day - great fun.Our room was very spacious with a well stocked mini bar and free wifi (although some rooms due to their location did not have wifi). We stayed on a half board basis and found breakfast very good with ample choice although evening meals were less inventive they were still very tasty and well presented. We ate from a set menu of 7 choices (due to being half board) however we could have paid to eat from the main menu, there was ample choice and the restaurant was always busy. We would stay at this hotel again, we found the location ideal.

Room Tip: Some rooms did not have wifi due to their location, if this is important to you, it might be worth m...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeanetteOxfordshire
Reviewed 6 September 2012

A nice budget hotel, but nothing special. Hotel is located about 10-15 minutes away from city center. The breakfast is quite good with a good selection. Other than that, the hotel is good for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank C8MAPTA
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Hotel Expo, of course, not the 4-stars hotel, as it positions himself, but good and very convenient 3-star hotel.

Is located near Expo-centre, 3-4 minutes by foot to tram station and 5-10 minutes of tram ride to city centre. Or 5 minutes by foot to metro station "Nádraží Holešovice" and 4 stops to metro station "Museum" in the very centre of Prague.

Rooms are rather big and have a separate bathroom and toilet (big advantage). Breakfast are very good, big choice of different cold and hot snacks. As the price of the hotel is also affordable and looks more like the price for the 3-star hotel, Expo definitely can be recomended.

Hint. 5 minutes by foot from Hotel Expo is situated train station "Nádraží Holešovice" (near metro with the same name). Here stop trains to Dresden, so if you plan a day trip to Dresden you have no need to go to city center and to main train station

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family