“Value for Money - but not sure if I am coming back here ...”
Review of Klara

Klara
Ranked #154 of 364 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Positive: The rate was the real key for me - eur 52 for 2 people 2 nights with breakfast. Not too many other positives.

Negative: I had booked a "Double room with attached bathroom" but got a twin room with the bathroom outside the room. Sleeping on the bed sprained the back and neck for both me any my wife. They do not have have double room at in in the place. The breakfast wasn't great either - we hardly had any on day 1 and skipped it on day 2. Its only cold meats - so it could also be just us - others could like it. Anyhow - for that kind of a rate - what could I ask for.

Room Tip: The rooms are very big but the 'free breakfast' isn't great .. just some cold cuts.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Klara

Reviewed 13 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We were originally meant to stay at Pension Aaron however after 20-30 minutes of standing around outside a woman pulled up in a taxi and told us that the owner of Pension Aaron was sorry but he had over booked us and that we were to go with her to her hotel. This was around 10pm and we had no where else to go. On Arriving at Pension Klara already the outside looked much more appealing, the woman paid for the taxi fare and escorted us inside, where she then got us a room key and showed us to our room (53) in the attic. She was very polite and helpful and assured us that she will only charge us for what we were going to be charged at Pension Aaron.

The room (set up for 4 people) was large with 4 single beds pushed together to make two doubles, one large pillow and duvet cover on each single bed. The bathroom was a decent size with everything we needed for a city break, the shower was hand held but beautifully hot. No in room service tray but that was expected for the price.

Breakfast was between 7.30-10 and consisted of bread, cheese, hams, cereal, milk, yoghurt, spreads, teas, coffee and juices. Again perfect for the price, filled us up a treat before our walk into prague town. On a few occasions during the week other guests had come down before us and ate most of the breakfast so the lady (same one that picked us up) made sure that she found us something else to eat.

At the end of our stay we settled up with no problems, our pre-booked driver was booked to pick us up at 7.30pm and we were to check out of our room by 11am we were allowed to leave our luggage in a lockable broom cupboard in which we had the key to keep with us. We were told that we would be able to return and wait in reception for our ride for as long as we needed; however we arrived back at 6.30pm and were told (by a different woman) that she was closing reception so we couldn't wait there. Therefore we spent an hour sat on the steps just inside the front door.

Overall we all decided that we would go back to Pension Klara as it is perfect for what we need, a comfortable bed and a nice hot shower. We were treated very well and the price for 3 of us for 4 nights stay was exceptional. I would definitely recommend if you are looking for somewhere as a base.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Pansion Klara is clean with big rooms,but breakfast is not rich.Rooms are hot, loud,and if somebody is on the next floor you can hear steps.They doesnt accept credit cards ,only cash?!

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I hate to be too harsh on this place. It seemed to essentially be a one woman show and that one woman worked very hard. She is friendly and professional and does her very best to make people feel at home.

I have to be honest though and say that the place was just okay. The room was rather shabby looking. The furniture seemed to be picked up from flea markets. The bed was a couch folded down as opposed to a proper bed. I had one rather light, rather small blanket and one rather flat pillow (though if I had asked for more, I am sure I would have got it). I couldn't get the TV to work for the life of me. The colours were pretty drab. The carpet was rather rough looking. So, the room wasn't fantastic by any means. It wasn't the kind of room I would want to spend a day just hanging out and relaxing in, though it was decent enough to be a place to sleep at and that's it. The whole building has an outdated, cold feeling to it (though it was pretty clean). A bit of fresh paint and new lights would probably help.

Having said that, it was quite quiet, even though my window was facing a road. It was safe and secure. I really liked the location. There are all kinds of deli's and stores around which was nice. There is a tram stop just outside the place. The metro station is very close. The pension is not right down in the center of town, it's out of the way a bit, in a less touristy section of town. I tend to like to stay in places in locations like this. So, for me, the location was great. It was also so easy to get to all of the sites quickly through public transportation.

I definitely don't feel like I got ripped off. I got the room at a good price. I was surprised to find out that breakfast was included in the price. The breakfast was simple, but very good, I thought. So, I feel that I got what I paid for. But, in walking around Prague, I also so a lot of really cool, nice, hip new hostels that one could probably stay at for the same price or less and maybe have a bit of more modern, less gloomy feeling room.

So, overall, I wouldn't say this is a bad place to stay, but I will say there are probably better options out there worth exploring. If they don't pan out though, this is a reasonable place to fall back on.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Pension Klara is excellent for the low-maintenance, self-sufficient traveler. My husband and I stayed there for 5 nights in September 2010, and we were very satisfied. However, I don't think it would be the best choice for every traveler.

The hotel occupies several floors of a very charming, residential building. It's located outside of the main tourist area, but accessible to all the sites by short tram rides (the trams stop right in front of the Klara.) There are a lot of restaurants in the neighborhood that are much less touristy and overpriced than the restaurants near the city center (but all still have menus in English and English-speaking staff.)

Once you check into Klara, you are mostly on your own. There isn't a dedicated receptionist or desk. They give you a key to the front door of the building and a key to your room. No daily housekeeping service. The only staff member we ever saw was Erica, who is very friendly but doesn't speak much English. Erica handles the morning breakfast, which was simple but good (cold cut meats, cheeses, bread, yogurt, coffee/tea.)

The room was clean and decent sized with basic, but comfortable furniture. Bathroom was fine, plenty of hot water. Good wireless internet connection. Very good for sleeping - we were on the 5th floor and we didn't hear a sound from any other rooms or the street.

Overall, we thought it was a good value and we were very happy with our choice. However, if you are looking for more amenities and service, you might want to find a different hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ktmac8
Reviewed 4 August 2010

my husband & myself stayed here on our honeymoon in 2005. We booked online so had no idea other than some photos of what the Pension would be like. The owner even arranged transport from the airport. It was raining when we arrived but we were met by a lovely lady and shown our room(up on the attic floor) It was lovely & clean and we had wine & fruit with their compliments for our honeymoon. The breakfast is cold meats & cheeses down in the basement dining room(which was spotless). The tram is only round the corner and we purchased a 5 day ticket which was good value for travelling in the city. I must say this is an excellent place to stay and we would certainly stay there again. The little pub over the road is great too for a drink or two. I have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone and i do not think you would be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple