“Park Hotel Prague”

Ranked #182 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Dublin Ireland
“Park Hotel Prague”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I took a short break to Prague last May and stayed in this interesting Hotel which appears to be caught in the 60's.

It is located 3 or 4 tram stops from the city centre and has a few decent restaurants very close by.
The tram stop is right outside the Hotel which is a good feature.
The hotel itself is very tired and it seems to be going through a refit which hopefully will improve things.

The room was clean and a decent size with a comfortable bed and free WiFi.

Breakfast however was a demented rush of trying to find a table amongst what seemed to be marauding hoards of hungry guests. Breakfast itself was just about OK but the only plates available were more suitable for pastries (Side Plates) this was obviously a ploy to stop folks eating to much.
As breakfast is to me the most important meal of the day and the mark of a good hotel I found the offerings most disappointing and consequently ate very little.

Hopefully the new owners and the ongoing refit will improve this hotel as it could be much better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Monika_Hilm, General Manager at Parkhotel Praha, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Enrighta,
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on Parkhotel Praha.
I totally understand your comments regarding the breakfast, which is the reason why we are started a reconstruction of the main dining room (breakfast room), meeting rooms and office corridor in the end of May. We are expecting to be ready by early September and then later in the year we will renovated the lobby and bar/café area.
The buffet restaurant will become more practically suited for large volume for breakfast, while adding individual touches like cooking station. Among all the changes are also plates.
During 2014 we are heavily investing in to the hotel in order to give a better and more comfortable stay for our guests.
I sincerely hope that you will come back to Parkhotel Praha and "the 60's" to discover how lovely and comfortable it has become. Do not hesitate to contact me directly to make your next booking; monika.hilm@parkhotel-praha.cz

I wish you a nice summer,
Monika

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel was part of a coach holiday to Prague. The room was comfortable, a good size with air conditioning, a fridge and free safety box. The situation of the hotel was not perfect for accessing the centre of Prague but tram 17 outside the hotel takes you there very quickly. The trams are very frequent and easy to use by buying a pre-paid ticket from the hotel foyer. The buffet breakfast in the hotel was very extensive and suits most tastes. The dinner menu was not to our taste. The bar and terrace were great to sit out at night.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful and their English is very good. Our special thanks go to Radek, the night receptionist, who helped us out enormously with our travel problem.

Leena and George Paterson

Dear Leena P,

Thank you for taking the time to review Parkhotel Praha.
It was nice to read your comments on how you have used many of the hotel facilities.
Of course, it can be difficult to satisfy all taste in a group during a meal, however if you would not mind I would really appreciate to hear from you what you were missing, my email is monika.hilm@parkhotel-praha.cz.
I will ensure that Radek receives the positive feedback.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you back in Prague and Parkhotel Praha in the future.
Best Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked a room in the Parkhotel for 4 nights. Most defiantly not a 4 star hotel in any way! Clean room, comfortable bed, clean towels, more like a travel lodge. However, it is very off putting to walk into your bathroom and find a half used soap and half used and broken shower gel dispenser. This I complained about to reception and to the chambermaid. She replaced the soap dispenser but didn’t replace the broken shower gel until the next day, Luckily, I had brought a bar of soap with me. Also, there was no minibar, no coffee/tea maker and no bathrobes as advertised, There was no body lotion, shampoo or conditioner provided as one expects in 4 star hotels, even in a standard room. There was a fridge and I made good use of it but it wasn’t very cold. When I got to my room on the 18th there was a letter telling me that due to maintenance work the air conditioning would not be working from the 17th to the 19th of July. It was very hot but one night wouldn't kill me.... I left on the 22nd and the AC was still not working and it was a sweltering hot July I can tell you. I found it very hard to sleep in the overwhelming heat and one night my room was over 30 degrees! I had to take cold (as possible) showers in the middle of the night twice. If I knew this beforehand I wouldn't have booked this hotel even at a low price. The windows couldn’t be opened more then 4 inches so they weren’t much help. They had informed me that work was being done to improve the hotel but said it would effect the restaurant, meeting rooms, and public areas. NOT THAT THERE WOULD BE NO AIR CON.
The hotel staff were polite but could do with a uniform as it was hard to identify them, even at reception.
The location was good, three tram routes pass the hotel 17, 24 and 12 that will bring to the city and just one stop down you could transfer to other trams (as you could do throughout the city) you could buy tickets at the hotel.
Nuala Kelly. Ireland

Room Tip: high up for a good view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nuala K
Monika_Hilm, General Manager at Parkhotel Praha, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Nuala,
Thank you for taking the time to review Parkhotel Praha.
I was very interested in reading your feedback.
First of all I am so sorry for the air-condition. It was suppose to be off for two days, however the reconstruction team broke a pipe during the replacement and the ended up taking them 5 days to fix it and of course this happened during the warmest week during the whole summer. There are no excuses for this - and we have been trying to reach out to all guests who stayed in the hotel during these days - as there were nothing we could do but give water and fans to the rooms.

I have followed up with housekeeping regarding the room amenities as it does not sound very nice or hygienic. Individual products we only use on the top floors, while the lower floors have dispensers for shampoo, shower gel and soap. Bathrobes are on top floors only.
Coffee and Tea making facilities are in all rooms on the top floors and on request basis for the lower floors.

Regarding your comment about uniforms, I completely agree and we are in the process of selecting new uniforms that will go with the new renovated "bring back the 60's" style that Parkhotel Praha will have.

I understand your frustration and I do hope that you would be willing to come back and see us again. If you decide to come to Prague, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on monika.hilm@parkhotel-praha.cz

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just returned from Prague where we spent 2 days in this hotel. Large clean and well maintained rooms. They have safetybox, free wifi and a nice buffet breakfast was included in our booking. Close to tram and metro so that you can comfortably reach all Attractions.
The hotel is a gem that they are about to brush up on. There was a small faux pas that our hotel receptionist solved in a very professional and smooth manner. Unfortunately I do not remember her name, but when she solved this on Sunday, July 20th, we were very grateful. The entire staff staff are very nice and service oriented. Park Hotel is located in a quiet area. Behind the corner is a city park with nice walking paths.
We will visit the Park again.

Peter & Anita

Dear Peter and Anita,
Thank you so much for your review of Parkhotel Praha.
I was delighted to read your feedback and we will make sure that when you return in the spring you will be very pleasantly surprised about the changes we have completed. All reconstruction changes will be finished in March 2015.
The hotel has a almost 50 year old history in Prague and when it opened it was one of the top hotels in Prague and many of our local guests/employees remember having their first "scoped ice cream" in the hotel.
Currently we are working on finding new things that could be "first" in Parkhotel Praha to keep the traditions alive.
Welcome back next year.
Jag hoppas vädret håller sig i Sverige så ni får en härlig augusti hemma i Stockholm.
cornwall
Reviewed 21 July 2014

just back from a coach tour to prague.never again ..as we arrived we were told by our driver that the hotel had been changed.we were told we would have a 4 star in prague centre..no we were taken to the parkhotel on the outskirts..just in time for our evening meal that consisted ot tin peas ,tin carrots,also packet mash potato<smash> fried chicken..this was followed by what i describe as defrosted miniture cakes.. not impressed at all.after 22 hours travelling to prague we were glad to see a bed..bed was comfy and room clean but noisy outside with trams and cars bumping over tram tracks..day 2 breakfast not too bad but not 4 star..that evening food much the same .no fresh veg just tin stuff..looking out from our room we saw what we considered to be homeless people searching bins and gathering on the grass outside drinking and smoking and using the hotel garden as a toilet...in the room was a request for good reviews on trip adviser all i can say is here it is and good luck to anyone else who dares enter your establishment..

2 Thank joshanCornwall
Monika_Hilm, General Manager at Parkhotel Praha, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Joshan Cornwall,

Thank you for taking the time to review Parkhotel Praha.
When I saw that you rated our location very low I was surprised as your coach was moved from a hotel which is more than 10km out of the city to us here at Parkhotel which is 4.2km from city center and only 8 min on the tram.
I'm so sorry that you were misinformed and not prepared in advance for the change. I can only imagine what it is like to be on a bus for 22 hours and how exhausted you must be, so of course any change is not welcome and especially one that was not inline with your expectation.

Regarding the dinners I am sorry that you did not enjoy it as we are mainly using fresh local vegetables and fruits and adding frozen only as additions to improve variety.

As we are partially under reconstruction; meeting rooms and main dining room, the breakfast buffet is temporarily set up and not as extensive as the normal buffet in the dining room. However, our prices are set according to this, which leads most our guests to appreciate the value for money relation.

I would be very pleased if you could contact me on monika.hilm@parkhotel-praha.cz and tell me more about your meal experience as I am genuinely interested in improving our offerings.

I hope that your experience in Prague was positive and that you enjoyed our beautiful city.

I wish you a nice rest of the summer,
Pezinok, Slovakia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very good location, near to centre, especially near to exhibition ground, pleasant staff, check out at 12.00, quite good selection of breakfast. Good ratio price/services. We recommend ! We will return : -)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank puntaprima
Dear Puntaprima,
Thank you for taking the time to review Parkhotel Praha.
I was very happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and we all look forward to welcome you back to our renewed 60's hotel in the spring 2015.
Berlin
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently and didn't have a great time at all. Our air conditioner didn't work the whole time and we sweltered - would be 27deg Celsius by 7am in our room. When I asked reception about it we were told 'oh well it should work'. When I mentioned it again at checkout the receptionist just said 'oh yeah we know'. It was pretty cheap however so didn't press the matter further.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank AutralianTravel
Dear Australian Travel,
Thank you for taking the time to review Parkhotel Praha.
I totally understand you regarding the air-conditioning in the hotel. We are since April replacing all the parts of the air handling unit from coolers on the roof, thermostats in the rooms to the building maintenance system. There have been many issues during the process and the main thing being very weak, if non existing cooling of the rooms and public areas.
Due to this and the general renovation of meeting rooms and main dining room, we lowered our prices and announced on the websites that we are under renovation.
I am so sorry if this was not communicated to you in advance as well as I am very sorry to hear about the responses from our front desk team.
I set great pride in our honesty at Parkhotel Praha and that we do take guest issues very seriously and that we really care and I was very sadden to read that for you we have failed.
If you decide to return to Prague later this year, maybe for a Christmas market weekend, please do not hesitate to contact me on monika.hilm@parkhotel-praha.cz. I would be delighted to show you how good service we normally give.