“Location, location, location.”

Ranked #2 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Bucks
“Location, location, location.”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Just back from staying at the Pod Vezi, which I chose because of the excellent reviews on this site, and for the most part everything was as good as stated by previous reviewers.
Just a few niggles, but would definitely reccommend if you prefer a boutique, charismatic hotel over a standard modern chain hotel.
The best thing about the hotel is its location, centrally sited between the two main tourist areas, so was easy to come back to for a coffee or a siesta although there is no real lounge area to sit and read a paper or have a coffee in inclement weather.
We were given a room in the newly opened annexe, a separate building tucked across a small small cul de sac in the corner of the opposite buildings and although newly decorated and having everything you want, there were one or two issues to note.
Firstly, this building doesn't have air conditioning in the rooms, although you could open the windows and there was a fan provided. Might not be too comfortable in hot weather and even though the bed was extremely comfortable, we were too hot at night and alternated between throwing the duvet off and then covering up.
Secondly, access to this building is by swiping your room card across the handle of the outer very heavy metal door. Unfortunately, our room was above this door and with the window open, the constant banging of the door closing up to quite late at night meant it was difficult to get to sleep. On checking out, we were asked if anything could be improved and suggested a slow return bar could perhaps be fitted.
Also be aware, that if your room faces out onto the road, and you have the window open, there is a lot of noise when all the glass is collected late at night, and then very early noise from barrel delivery.
Breakfast was served from 7.30 to 10.30am which is good for those who like a lie-in on holiday. A good selection for the buffet breakfast, although I prefer my fried and scrambled eggs to be piping hot. There is a also motorised juicer which can be used to make freshly squeezed orange juice. However, as someone who likes to sits quietly at breakfast, I found the constant noise of it's motor quite annoying.

On the plus side, our hotel transport to and from the airport ran smoothly and there is also computer and printer available in the foyer where I was able check in online and print boarding passes for the return flight, which was very useful. Another nice touch was a stand full of umberellas to use if it rained, especially useful when walking from the annexe to the main hotel for breakfast.

We ate in the restaurant on the night of our arrival, to find that there is a 'temporary prohibition' whereby the sale of spirits and liqueures has been banned everywhere, following the death of a number of people from apparently consuming illegally distilled alchohol. So it's just wine, beer or soft drinks.
The other main thing to note is that comfortable walking shoes are a must! All the roads and paths in the castle area and the old town are formed from cobble stones, some of which have more than an inch gap between them which would be impossible to walk on with stiletto heels. I took nice evening clothes to change into for the evening, but ended up wearing my trainers all the time. Even both my husband's and my own flat shoes with a normal sole were too uncomfortable to wear for very long.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Pod Vezi and found Prague a very beautiful, compact city with amazing architecture and history. Very easy to get about, but packed with tourists.

Room Tip: If in the annexe, ask for a room that doesn't front the road.
2 Thank CarolAnnBucks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Worthing
Reviewed 18 September 2012

The hotel runs a taxi service at a good price, so I got picked up at at the airport and went straight there. When I arrived, my room wasn't ready yet, but the staff gave me some pointers for a nice cafe to waste some time. The staff were generally very warm and helpful; especially to someone like me with no sense of direction.

I stayed in a Deluxe room, which was in the corner of the building, and gave views over the tower of the Charles bridge, and the square around the hotel. It was really peaceful, and lovely to wake up to.

The rooms themselves may need updating soon, but they're fine, and do the job well. Breakfast was lovely; the usual continental affair but in a really cosy and inviting space. The hotel itself is particularly central; it was rarely more than a 15-minute walk away to get to the major tourist spots.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at pod vezi me and tree more friends from London! The service is absolutely fantastic!!! Very flexible and helpful staffs.... I absolutely recommended it... Location cannot be more perfect.... Millor, David and the pacient Martin from Slovakia and the all the others off course are doing amazing!!!!! Make all us to come back and have great time again!!!!!!!! Thank u!!!!! Edcon from brasil

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Prague as a city is 'cute & magical' unlike the large European beauties like Paris and Rome. Practically the whole city centre on both the East & west banks of the mesmerising Vltava can be covered by foot. Hotel Pod Vezi located atop the western end of the Charles Bridge, where we spent 4 nights in late August 2012, is indeed 'cute&magical' for you can easily walk past it, if you are not looking for it. Once inside though, the warmth of reception you receive from Martin Celko and others is as if you've known him/ them for years.Every detail a first- time tourist would need from maps to suggestions on where to exchange your Foreign Exchange to what to see & how is provided in a warm welcoming fashion. Our jaws literally dropped on entering our chosen room which had large french windows on two sides with views of the Charles Bridge from one and a quaint courtyard from the other. A flawlessly appointed room with a discrete wooden partition added a touch of European class to the room. The breakfast spread is wholesome served both in a cosy room and outside at the very foot of Charles Bridge. The hotel also has a classy restaurant tucked away right next door with a wide spread of menus to choose from. Just step out further to the West Bank of Lesser Town and you find numerous eateries all cute & cuddly serving up different mouthwatering eats. When Martin Celko takes a break,out steps Ms. Eva who in faultless English guides you to a complimentary tea & cake snack at a new eatery opened by the hotel just round the bend! We booked our Mozart & Strauss concert, Vltava Boat ride, Prague castle tram ride etc right at the front desk without having to step out!! Each time we returned Martin or Eva would fondly enquire on how we enjoyed the day. We are quite sure we will visit Prague again and very sure where we'd want to stay- ' cute & magical' Hotel Pod Vezi ofcourse!!
Thank you Martin Celko, Eva & team for having made our stay in Prague so very memorable we can't wait to get back!

Warm regards & many thanks,
Krishnan

Room Tip: We found the 'Charles Bridge view' room great!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VSKrishnan
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in September. I chose this hotel due to the Trip Advisor reviews and they were not wrong to stay here! Great location/great staff- very nice and very responsive to our needs/ and the restaurant was very good also! We stayed in Room 22 and couldn't believe the size of the room or the huge bathroom! The breakfast was also very good with lots of delicious
selections.

We look forward to our next trip to Prague and will definitely stay at Pod Vezi and recommend it to anyone looking for a great hotel!

San Francisco
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The hotel is in a wonderful location , meters from the Charles Bridge! great for walking to both the center of the old town as well as to the Castle complex! The rooms were fine,but I would say that they were not---or at least mine wasn't terrifically furnished. Think glorified office furniture and cheap lamps. What is most disturbing is the bathroom in Room34. I am only 5ft 5 inches and yet I had to bend my knees really low in order to shower as with the sloped ceiling, I could not stand up straight! Still, I would bump my head several times while washing my hair. The bathroom floor was flooded with water because of this shower situation! The room,however, was quite clean, but not really a four star hotel,maybe three stars at best. The elevator was tiny,tiny. my husband and I are both quite small and yet we could barely fit in. While bringing our bags up to the room and later down to leave, only one person could fit in with one bag. Toilitries were of a very por quality. Think of COMFORT INN quality or even worse. Not four star hotel quality that you get in the southwest of France where for less than 100 euros per night, you can get l'Occitane products! The young men working the reception staff were lovely,very helpful and certainly kind. The middle aged lady who seems to manage the staff was brusque and not very sympathetic. She could learn something from her staff! Not that133 euros per night is a lot---it is inexpensive,but I would say that this rate is not low for the price to quality ratio. The restaurant was simply awful! There are so many better places nearby,which are far less even after you receive the15per cent discount for being a hotel guest. Dirty tablecloth,cold food three tiny pieces with gristle in the beef goulash. Worst of all, food was cold!I don't know how people rated this hotel do highly. Very odd to me.

Room Tip: Ask about the third floor rooms in the old complex to be certain that you don't get a bathroom w...
4 Thank Lily L W
Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

Our 5 night stay at Hotel Pod Vezi was FANTASTIC for the following reasons:
all the staff were very nice & responsive - special thanks to Eva
the location is perfect - at the foot of the Charles Bridge & a short walk to Tram 22 & the Metro
our room was large - not your typical small European room
the breakfast buffet was very nice - cappuccino/espresso, fresh pastries & much more
we enjoyed our two dinners - nice menu & fine meals plus the 15% guest discount
staff very helpful with tours & directions
free WiFi in room with strong signal
we Highly Recommend this small boutique hotel in the center of Prague!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple