“Excellent, nice decor, friendly”
Review of Hotel U Pava

Hotel U Pava
Ranked #184 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent, nice decor, friendly”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Very friendly front desk, in excellent location near Charles Bridge on quiet square. Very nicely decorated rooms with Persian rugs, baroque decor. Would highly recommend. Very good breakfast buffet as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The trip to Prague with 3 nights accommodation at a beautiful hotel "U PAVA" was our dream came true. Great location to be close in the center of Prague to everywhere especially to Charles Bridge. Good and clean bedroom with the internet working well in the bedroom. Very quiet place insight of the building as well. Very good customer service and excellent breakfast . Overall well worth spend money.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 December 2013

By typical issues with an older hotel, I mean too few power points, no proper desk for working, dim lighting, no coffee and milk in the room, the internet didn't work except in the main lobby. But it is super charming! The air conditioner was loud, but luckily we didn't need it. Excellent location. They kindly didn't get mad at me when I snuck into the bar area late at night to borrow a cork screw-- and promptly broke it! If you work while you travel, this hotel might not work for you; but for a non-working romantic getaway, I think it would be ideal.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MCinAuckland
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

A summery....
A really beautiful place, excellent breakfast, terrific quiet ( but central ) location, good bedroom and bathroom, let down slightly by some silly niggles which shouldn't happen at all.
In general, a very good 3 star hotel ( not really a 4 ), well worth the money.

Just came back from 3 nights at the U Pava. This hotel gives "a really beautiful place" new meaning. Please check my esteemed fellow contributors pictures, it really is much nicer in real life than in the 'photos, and the photo's look pretty good. I cannot comment upon some of the negative room quality issues commented upon, as our room ( 203 ), was of good quality ( as was our friends ).

The bed was large and comfy ( mattress felt new and firm ), and the base was covered in blue leather ( our friends was red leather ). The nicely decorated room had a coffee maker, but no kettle for tea. Alas there was no kettle in the hotel. There was a safe ( no charge ) and plenty of wardrobe space. All was clean. The room had A/C. Niggle... no view at all, we were overlooking a wall. But as we were out all day and by the time we returned it was dark, I cannot say that I was too bothered. Still, during the summer....

The bathroom was mainly good quality and clean, ( niggle ) but no dressing gowns or liquid soap in the chrome soap dispenser, which might have been handy in the shower. Other bathroom niggles... the sink plug wouldn't hold water... ( despite all attempts ), and the extractor fan was dis. Despite this, in general the bathroom was good ( and a decent size ). There is a bath, a bidet, and a very good mains hot towel rail, which we just left on.

The breakfast "maids" were really friendly and helpful, some with quite decent English. The day reception staff were really friendly and helpful with very good English. The night reception chap was very serious with limited English, but still very helpful ( hunting round trying to find a kettle for us )!

To say the location is quiet is an understatement. It's in a back street about 150 yards from the West end of Charles Bridge. I can definitely recommend a excellent little friendly restaurant about 100 yards from the hotel... Google Vysoky Dum 99. Also in a quiet back street, terrific Czech food and bloody good value. If it's the weekend book the 4 place table by the fire the night before.

Despite minor niggles, The U Pava is a very charismatic ( and romantic ) hotel, worth the money and well worth a visit. Please check out a couple of room tips.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and away from the lift. If you can stretch to it ( and the 3rd floor wal...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Syktyvkar, Russia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed there just overnight. The hotel is beautifully decorated, it's not spacious at all but I liked it this way. The stuff was very attentive. I had some troubles with the room safe but after a could of calls to the reception it was solved. The only thing which upset me is the size of the room (was tiny) and an awful "wall view" but maybe it was just my room (it is well decorated as well). The location is perfect: a lovely park with peacocks just nearby and only a couple of minutes from the Carl's Bridge. I'd stay there again for sure (in a better room though).

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a nicer view :)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at U Pava hotel for our wedding in green two-room suite in the second floor. I completely agree with one of the previous author who said that this hotel is ideal for these who wants to be a princess, who want to live a little bit in ancient times. Perfect choice! The view (though for me it is not so important) was rather nice: to the green square before the hotel. The location is really perfect: near the narrowest street of Prague, a minute away from Charle's bridge. Lady at the reception was nice & very helpful & even spoke Russian. At breakfast there was a variety of dishes though my husband missed fried/ scrambled eggs. The huge minus for me was cleanness. The suite was full of dust! There was a spider above the bed! I don't consider it right for 4* hotel. The cleaning... I'm not sure it was done at all. Also I strongly advise you to check mini-bar as soon as you make a check in. In our's two positions were missed. We informed the lady at the reception and thus avoided problems during check out.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Galina_2a
Goiania, Brazil
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed in U Pava for three nights beetween Aug. and Sep. 2013. It's has great location: near the Charles bridge, just around the corner from Kafka Museum and it has a great decor! It´s set in a beautiful area of the city, Malá Strana, and though near many attractions, the hotel is at a quiet square.

I found the breakfast well-served, with varietiy of itens. I'd say it goes beyond continental.

I was aware - because I had read the reviews here - that not all rooms are served by the elevator. Mine wasn´t. But again, I was aware.
I was also aware wi-fi is a problem on the second floor, where I got a room. But that is a problem they should fix. Also in my room (which I was satisfied with decor,space and cleanliness), there was a problem with the hairdryer: it had a broken tube connector. Also something that should be taken care of.

Staff is not really smiling, but I coulnd´t say rude or unhelpfull. Dispite my impression, I went through a unpleasant episode when checking out. I had payed for the stay a month before, so, when checking out, I only had to pay for a coke, a juice bottle and a can of pistachio nuts I had. I asked the attendant for the bill and she announced "four hundred czech crowns" (more than 15 euros). Finding that weird, I asked again and she confirmed the price. So I said I only had euros and the price magically turned out to be 6 euros. (Manager, if you want to check on your staff, I check out on Sep 2, around 11 am.)

Despite this incident, I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo