“A very memorable New Year”

Alchymist Nosticova Palace
Ranked #23 of 650 Hotels in Prague
Vienna, Austria
“A very memorable New Year”
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My husband and I enjoyed a memorable post-New Year stay in Prague, thanks in large part to our choice of hotel. We stayed at the Alchymist Residence Nosticova from January 1 to 3. I booked a winter package that included a welcome bottle of wine and complimentary use--including one free massage--in their spa and Health Club at their sister Alchymist Grand Hotel. Everything was smooth and trouble free, from the reservation that I made over the web and by email (efficiently handled by Adela), the taxi pickup at the train station pre-arranged by the hotel (great for avoiding hassles of calling a taxi when you're already there, and you're sure to get a clean car), check-in and settling in the room. The train from Vienna arrives just before noontime, too early for the hotel check-in. No problem. We left our bags with the hotel staff and walked around the area. There are many restaurants a short distance from this hotel, open even on Jan. 1, since it's under ten minutes walking distance to Charles Bridge, the US Embassy area, and my favorite destination, the Church of Our Lady Victorious (Panny Marie Vítezné) in Malá Strana, which is a pilgrimage site for devotees of the infant Jesus of Prague (Santo Niño de Praga). After a leisurely lunch and a brief stop at the church, we were back at the hotel to check into the room. The complimentary red Moravian wine was excellent, and there was also a complimentary bottle of water.

Prague city holds a grand fireworks display over the Vltava river every year at dusk on Jan. 1 (as well as Dec. 31). By sheer luck we were in our room when the fireworks began, and we had a magnificent ringside view from the windows of our top-floor room (even from the bathroom window). Aside from the fireworks, this room had an unobstructed view toward the river area, and in daylight we could see the buildings lining both banks.

The hotel's restaurant is gorgeously decorated in Italian style. Unfortunately, it was closed for the season, so we only had breakfasts there. The antique furniture and opulent surroundings certainly added a touch of class to the generous breakfast fare that included cold and warm selections. My husband and I particularly enjoyed one of the
bread selections in their bread basket (can't recall the name now), which I learned was baked at their sister hotel. The staff at breakfast were attentive and prompt, but discreet.

I'm not sure if we got the standard room or something else. Our room on the top floor had a huge bathroom with bathtub, almost the same floor area as the bedroom (which is not small, by European standards; we and our luggage had plenty of space). All of the lighting in the bedroom and bathroom was provided by crystal chandeliers, what a luxury!

Instead of the small massage room in the Residence, we opted to walk a short distance to the sister Grand Hotel. I was not disappointed. The spa is HUGE! It had separate changing rooms with lockers for men and women. Guests are provided robes, towels and slippers for their stay. There's a choice of several kinds of Indonesian, Swedish and other styles of massage. There are dry and steam saunas. On a tip, we went at noontime which is the least busy time. In fact, there were no other customers, so my husband and I had the place to ourselves. The spa receptionists were very helpful in guiding me to select a massage, and as nobody was around even gave my husband any myself a tour of the facilities before we made an appointment for the massage. The masseuse was very professional.

Kudos to this fine hotel. We'll definitely be back, and we definitely recommend it.

4 Thank TingVienna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Where do I start? The rooms really are as lovely (maybe lovelier) than the pictures on their website! The bedspread, heavy curtains, old paintings, marble bathroom, carpets...the atmosphere was so romantic and lush.

I much preferred its serene location to other notable hotels I came across. Why stay on a busy street, when you can be on a quiet one that is a mere 3 minute walk to the action?

The staff are incredibly helpful and kind! They are totally eager to cater to any need you may have.

What felt like a big indulgence, was really quite affordable. This hotel made me feel like it is really unnecessary to pay over 400 a night for a truly luxurious experience. Quite a find!

We will definitely be staying here again next year and have already recommend it to our friends who are visiting Prague in a few months.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank eviemichael
London
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Excellent location - quiet and walkable to everywhere.
Great room with everything high quality and working.
Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cshawd
Bucharest
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We stayed there for a romantic weekend and were surprised when the staff offered us a free bottle of champagne due to the fact, that we recently married. The service was very good, the staff very helpful and the hotel gave us a good impression. the only thing disturbing, was the fact, that they didn't have non-smoking rooms. Big rooms, but carpets had seen their best times. Access to the Spa of the mother hotel was a very nice add-on.

3 Thank Neamtule
Suffolk
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Alchymist Residence Nosticova in January of 2009, and we were thrilled with our stay. The room we got was absolutely beautiful, and reasonably priced, as well. Most tourist attractions were within a 15-30 minute walk, and the Charles Bridge is about a 5 minute walk away. Being a small hotel, they were very attentive to every one of our needs as well. They took care of every detail, including competitively priced transport to and from the hotel from the Prague airport. I would recommend this hotel to anybody thinking about visiting the beautiful city of Prague.

• Liked — Staff, Beautiful and Comfortable Room
4 Thank welchsm
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Just returened from the Alchymist Residence Nosticova in Prague. It was the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed in. An opulent, luxurious suite, with excellant service. Located in one of the best parts of Prague. Seeing Prague covered in snow, and walking over the Charles Bridge was magical.
The Alchymist Grand Hotel-the sister hotel, is bigger, and equally as opulent and luxurious, with a beautiful swimming pool lit by a giant crystal chandelier, and backed by a chinese day bed for relaxation. The hotel photo's are exactly what you get. I would definately recommend both of these hotels and would score them equally as 10/10
How to get there. Take the airport bus 119 to Dejvicka-the bus terminal approx 20 mins, then get the green metro to Malastranska approx 3 stops. Then get either the 12,20,22 tram and get off 2 stops later at Hellichova.Cross over the crossing and walk straight ahead past the Japanese embassy, and the Alchymist Nosticova is on the bottom lt hand corner.

• Liked — The luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank GinaNamini
Zurich
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I have booked the hotel room including an upgrade. When I arrived I was offered two rooms of which one was a beautiful, large suite. The hotel staff was generally very friendly. The location of the hotel is also perfect, it is right in the old town. Also I had free WLAN in my room. Definitely, a great choice in Prague!

• Liked — Great design of rooms
  • Disliked — I could hear some noise from neighbours