“mayhem at breakfast”
Review of Hotel Duo

Hotel Duo
Ranked #170 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Room 315 for one night. Has free wifi in lobby, and decent connection – skyped to US just fine. There were 4 PCs to use in the lobby, but internet connection cost 10 minutes for 20 CZ (about $1),
Rooms are very modern, but no depth at all to any of the shelves, so not great for storage. Fridge in room – a definite plus. Bathroom is nice but glass partition on tub is so short that water from shower sprays all over the floor. On the internet it mentions the pool and gym, but there is a charge – not sure what it is, so that was a disappointment. There were about 6 groups with large coaches and I think everyone decided to go to breakfast at 6:30am, so it was mayhem with almost all tables full.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bradziker1
There are newer reviews for Hotel Duo

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was surprised by the efficiency of how the hotel staff manage to handle coach load upon coach load of new coming and leaving travellers. Clearly geared as an out of town stop over for buses because of parking. I read that it's around £15 a night to stay here. We have stayed in much worse. It was basic. Lumpy pillows. Need to ask for a second pillow. Towels changed daily which is a bonus and some light meals available from the bar. Staff pleasant. Very mean with little cartons of milk and tea, coffee, so take your own. Convenient for the metro (7 stops from city centre and tickets available from reception for a small fee) can't fault the staff, just a busy throughfare of coach parties. Nowhere really to eat nearby so we ended up at the Bella pub opposite the metro station (a meat fest). If I had to stay here again, I would do so, based on the staff helpfulness.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and were very impressed with it considering how little we paid. The staff were friendly and we had full use of all the facilities. Everything was very clean and we had our room cleaned and towels changed everyday. Breakfast was also a lot better than we were expecting- plenty of choice! The only issue is that it is out of town, but there is a metro station a 2 minute walk away that goes straight to the center. All in all a great stay!

3  Thank charliep774
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked on-line via an airline's site and upon arrival found ourselves ahead of a coach party. Reception desk process was slow as the room allocation was undertaken by 1 of the 4 staff only and we were invited to await the processing of the party. Next we were invited to upgrade the room at a tariff that was high for what we wished to use hotel for - bed and breakfast. We said so and an agreed reduced rate was negotiated for 2 rooms. Each night we found that the extras were not always in place and had to inform reception desk, which is not what I wish to have to do! On checkout I suspected that the agreed tariff for 2 rooms would be applied to each, hence the upgrade cost to be double the agreed amount; my suspicion was confirmed however I was able to quickly rectify the situation and without fuss, having again advised on the nightly experience of not having the agreed bottled water left in each room.

I advise of this inconvenience factor as some readers may also prefer to enjoy a non-problematic reception/room tariff process.

The rooms were excellent; spacious, clean, tidy and very comfortable. Breakfast was also an enjoyable buffet experience with good ranges of breads, cheeses etc. plus the usual 'hot plate' options. Two evening meals were taken in the restaurant and again the food and service was good.

Overall, the hotel was up to my expectations and I especially liked the short walk to the metro station from which the city centre could be reached within 20-25 minutes. The hotel is in a peaceful area, based on our experience and the staff were friendly and accepted my 'minor complaints' without any fuss, thankfully.

I would return to the venue however I'd do so ensuring I had 'up front' paid for internet access, tea and coffee facilities and bottled water as part of my room service.

Room Tip: see my experience - we initially booked what was known as a 'comfort room' I believe - check...
1  Thank 2Travell2
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Now this is a big hotel when I was there, there were sixteen other coach tours staying at the same time. Every easy to get into the town by underground but not by walking a long way. Another place with so much to see and do.

6  Thank PianomanBath
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days as a final part of our bus journey to Europe. Well, what can I say after 3 previous hotels along our way... it was not good. This hotel was positioned as a 4*, but really, I wouldn't give it a 3* rate.
Reception looks good, but then there's a complicated system of elevators which all the guests seem to be confused about. You should take the elevator which only leads to your part of the building, and there're 3 of them. While we were waiting for ours (for 10 minutes, by the way), we helped out a nice Japanese woman who got really confused, and I don't blame her. Now, we probably had the cheapest room ever, because our part of the building looked, weel, as a long hall in a cheap old hostel.
The room itself? I coulnd't believe my eyes! It must have been renovated and furnished in 80s, because the carpet was really old, the furniture was outdated, in a whole, the room looked really old-school, like in a Soviet Union inn. But what amazed me the most, is the bathroom. Poorly coloured walls, old plumbing, a lot of small careless fixes made to the room, too obvious. Cheap materials, cheap paint, cheap everything. Appaling ventilation.
Wi-Fi in the rooms? Forget it, go down to the lobby and take a seat there. That room was full with people, they were watching video on tablets and laughing, you can't really concentrate with such noise around.
I'm not sure if our room was cleaned at all. At least, the dust can sleep in peace, nobody will every disturb it.
Breakfast was nice. Not so good as that we had in Germany and Austria, though. Pastry was not great, everything else was just fine.
The place is good, close to the subway, and not on the outskirts.

Conclusion: I would not recommend it if you really care about service and rooms, but I guess a cheap and disposition-convenient place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ixseeda
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A bit far from the city center, but only on the map. The tube station is only a two minute walk from the hotel and you can buy every kind of metro-ticket at the reception as well. Very convenient!!! Tried the duck at the restaurant one evening, and it was absolutely fantastic. Lovely Pilsner Urquell on tap at the bar! Very helpfull staff and nice clean rooms. Definetly a four star establishment except for some areas and the noisy breakfast room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family