“Do not like it”
Review of Balbin Hotel

Balbin Hotel
Ranked #380 of 649 Hotels in Prague

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Everything was great for this place. Location, price, staff... All good. But every night I was in bed I woke up with bites on my arm and legs... I showed the staff and they moved my room. But I never saw them remove the old rooms mattress, so they didn't take my complaint seriously

• Stayed August 2012
Zurich
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Penzion Balbin is a clean, spacious, well-run B&B. We found the price really reasonable for accommodation so close to the notoriously expensive center of Prague. To use the Balbin, though, you need to be fit, as entry entails a walk up to the 1st floor before you can take the lift. We almost always walked all the way down from the 4th floor. But apart from that, we can thoroughly recommend the place. We had a spacious room (with skylight), and, what is less common, a spacious bathroom! The furniture is high quality and the location is very good, being near the National Museum and the railway station (which is why we chose it). Breakfast was perfectly adequate, with a variety of breads and natural yogurt. Another thing we appreciated was the honor-system offer of drinks for guests.

The staff were all helpful and friendly, especially Jitka, who made our stay really comfortable.We were traveling with bikes and she helped us store them until our departure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank hjmZurich
Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

The Balbin is in an excellent location near the Wenceslas Square, National Museum and main rail station. The Museum tram and Metro stations are a short walk (turn right on Vinohradska from Balbinova), and the Italska tram stop is even closer (turn left on Vinohradska). With this said, the hotel is nice, but not "disabled friendly." There is a flight of stairs to climb to reach the lift (which is small), and another smaller flight from the lift to the reception.

With the disabled proviso made, the hotel rooms are clean, and spacious. The staff are polite, speak good English, and are really professional - seeking to be as helpful as possible (more on this shortly).

As for my title, I would normally have rated the Balbin higher (even if just for the quality of service). However, on the morning of my stay, the keys to the kitchen had been locked in, so I was informed there would be a long wait for breakfast while other keys were sought. As I was not able to put off my other plans for the day, the receptionist went out an brought back bread and cheese, etc. and did his best to make a small cold breakfast.

Again - Plusses: good location, okay rooms, SUPER STAFF. Negatives: Mobility options limited, and unfortunately the breakfast debacle.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Cape Town
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Pension Balbin was recommended to us by a friend from Prague as clean, friendly, well-priced and close to all modes of transport - and it was all of these! Situated in a quiet, residential street with the museum metro stop a 5 minute walk away, the main station a 10 minute walk (slightly hair-raising due to a narrow pavement next to a busy street) and the no 11 tram stopping basically right in front of Balbinova street, this is one to remember. Rooms are reasonably sized, clean, modern with enough packing space for more than 2 people. The bathrooms are clean, new and modern with proper lighting and although the shower is tiny, everything works! After a bit of a climb from the street, a rickety lift takes one to the 4th floor, which makes lugging suitcases less of a mission. We had dinner in the neighbourhood a few times, and as it's off the beaten track, the restaurants are well-priced and unpretentious. Pension Balbin was full, busy and cheerful and I will recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Away from the reception desk, if possible, but even that wasn't too much of a problem.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Vaud
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The hotel manager is very helpful - she told us about best places for sightseeing and affordable places to eat, gave recommendations on public transport and settled us in our room without problems. The staff speaks English well.
The hotel is easy to reach from the main train station (10min walk), is near Opera, National Museum, is in a quiet street, well connected to trams and metro.
Breakfast is filling and we were even allowed to take it to our room. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished, we have got a room with the window in the roof - awesome!
Reservation was done over email without problems. Check-in was possible as early as 10:30 and check-out is around mid-day. We would definitely stay in the same hotel when we visit this beautiful city on Vltava again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orest G
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2010

After emailling the hotel manager, and confirming and booking a stay (and paying ahead), I was lured by the promise of a free airport / train station pick up and transfer. Taking the usual cost of a taxi to the hotel into account, I decided to book my stay with this hotel, as it would end up being cheaper than getting a train / taxi myself. The hotel had emailled, confirming that a driver would be waiting for me, and that everything was sorted. On arriving in Prague, and waiting at the designated spot, no taxi or driver arrived. The hotel did not answer their phone, and no one was able to be contacted. My first thought was that it was a total scam, but I decided to take a taxi to the hotel myself. The hotel then explained that a pick up was not meant to be included - but failed to tell me. They then refused to reimburse me, or to even provide me with a transfer back to the airport after I checked out. Rooms are stale and tiny, and the breakfast is feeble. Overall, the main point about this hotel is that customer service is atrocious. Save your money - spend a little more and go somewhere else.

Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank 728236

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels