“Ok but needs renovation - reception service is slow”

Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre
Ranked #214 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre for two nights during a business trip to the Czech Republic at the end of May. I was working with a couple of colleagues who also stayed at this hotel. We arrived late during the evening of Wednesday May 28, it's about 30-40 minutes from the airport depending on the time of day. Check in was very laborious even though it was around 22h00. I was in a queue behind two other guests and it must have taken about 30 minutes to check in since the staff member was doing everything including being telephone receptionist. It's always amazing to hear the silly questions some people ask! But it really should not have taken that long! I had a similar experience on the following days too Even with my 5 am check out. My room (which had no particular view) was acceptable if a little shabby and in need of renovation.

The bar was ok for a casual drink and not at all expensive for a hotel. The down side is that everybody smokes (or at least it seems like that!) and it's difficult to get away from the smell. We tried the breakfast offering and an evening meal on the second night. Service was with a smile and rapid and I can recommend these although the choice was a little limited compared to other hotels. Quality was average.

We spent all our time travelling to a business engagement 50 Km out of town early in the morning and used the hotel as somewhere to sleep. There were not so many amenities but there was access to a spa close by. The second night the hot & cold water was cut off! It stayed that way most of the night - I was lucky to get a shower the next morning (I left very early). Normally, I would recommend this hotel but was dissatisfied with the water problem and with the slow reception service which seemed due to the fact that only one person was on duty off peak and who catered to everybody (check in/out telephone etc).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnGuestRel1, Manager at Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for your communication of 14th July 2014.

Whilst I am happy that your visit was, on the whole, a pleasant experience, it concerns me that in some areas you found fault with our service.
I must apologize for the amount of time it took you to check in upon your arrival on the evening of 28th May – thirty minutes is an unacceptable amount of time for any guest to have to wait; also I am sorry for the inadequate service you received when checking out.
We generally maintain Reception with two agents during the night shift, at least until 22:00. It seems that an unlikely coincidence of unfortunate events occurred during your arrival and departure.

With regard to the smoking, unfortunately this is a problem inherent throughout the Czech Republic. We will, however, be maintaining a no-smoking policy throughout the hotel in the near future.

As for the breakfast and the evening meal, I am sorry you found our menu to be a little limited. It is our aim to serve the freshest of produce at all times and this entails a close examination of the menus so as not to necessitate a too large reserve of various foodstuffs.

I can well understand your dismay at the lack of water in your bathroom, hot and cold!
This problem, however, was on account of a burst pipe which occurred outside the hotel’s immediate domain. The resulting problem affected quite a large area of the neighborhood and included, unfortunately, the Holiday Inn hotel. By installing a spare water supply, we have taken steps to ensure this sort of problem will not affect us in the future.

Once again I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the above problems, and hope you will soon return t our hotel for another visit, when I will be able to ensure that
you have a pleasant trouble-free stay

Yours sincerely

Karolína Churainová
Corporate Sales Manager

HOLIDAY INN Prague Congress Centre
Kongresové centrum Praha a.s.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked in here for a Conference as it seemed the best location. Location OK but the advertised direct link to the Congress Centre was shut.
I booked an Executive Room expecting some sort of Executive Lounge - But none!
The Hotel Lobby Smells like a Giant Ash Tray!
Location near to Underground which is 2 stops from where you really want to be.
Air conditioning poor and very noisey.
Breakfast was an awful Buffet. First in first served for many popular items (such as fresh fruit) as then it was gone!
All in all I was disappointed and would recommend another place which is just as close but with true Executive Facilities!
Bathroom Soap & Shampoo in Large Squeezy bottles - tacky! More what I would expect at a Youth Hostel!

2  Thank Rosebuds63
HolidayInnGuestRel1, Manager at Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your communication of 14th July 2014.

I am most concerned that your stay at our Prague hotel did not live up to your expectation. Unfortunately, you didn't attach your name to your email and this makes it well nigh impossible to investigate your complaint.

However, I would like to offer some explanations in reply to your stated points of view.

I am a little uncertain what you mean when you write about the direct link to the Conference Centre.
The two buildings, hotel and Conference Centre, are adjacent to one another, therefore the direct link is always open - either by walking the few meters from one to the other or by using the underground tunnel which links both buildings. The guestroom keycard allows access to the side door of the Prague Conference Centre, where guests can also make use of the fitness centre and the wellness facilities which house a small swimming pool and a whirlpool. The hotel itself has a mini-gym, accessible to all guests.

It is true that the Lobby area is sometimes a little smoky. This is due to the open Café area, where smoking is allowed. Unfortunately, smoking in cafes and restaurants is a problem inherent throughout the Czech Republic. Based on our management decision, agreed with the hotel owners, we will be maintaining a 100% no-smoking policy throughout the hotel commencing in September 2014.

As I am sure you know, buffet breakfasts are now the common form of service in hotels worldwide, and I am sorry that you found fault during your visit. This should not have been possible as it it our policy to replenish the food on offer as quickly as possible, thus always maintaining a fresh supply.

I am baffled as to your complaint regarding the Executive Room. Whilst I am unable to confirm your booking until I know your identity, I can assure you that all Executive Rooms are supplied with individual toiletries. The large squeezy bottles, filled with ADA, Sutton&Foster, high quality German cosmetics, are also placed in the bathrooms in case the individual phials are not sufficient.. All Executive Rooms have 24/7 access to the Executive Lounge, which is located on the sixth floor.

Our hotel is situated two minutes walk from the Metro station, allowing easy access to all areas of the city. Our Reception staff are on hand to give any advice regarding the best and quickest method for reaching any specific location.

Once again, may I express my apologies on behalf of the Prague Holiday Inn Hotel. I will be able to look more closely at your complaints should you wish to give me information regarding your booking.

Yours sincerely

Karolina Churainova
Corporate Sales Manager

HOLIDAY INN Prague Congress Centre
Kongresove centrum Praha a.s.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was at this hotel 3 times in a short time. I have Ambassador status at IHG and:
- the room was always ready to check-in before standard chck-in time
- late check-out was always possible
- good recognition if ihg Ambassador Members
In my opinion the hotel is good rated/standarized as 4* hotel
- room and bathroom were always extremally clean, medium size.
- bathrobe, slippers and towels - fresh and relatively new
- cosmetics in bathroom - good quality
It is possible without any problems to relax in a SPA with pool and sauna. This area is managed by a different company, so you have to pay extra entrance fee 300 czk (ab. 10 euro). This area is connected with the hotel lift by under passing or kind of short "tunel".
Breakfast on saturday and sunday availlable up to 11.00 am, I think that each guest can find something tasty or order fresh prepared omlet or pancakes or more...
Internet - wifi in room - during our first stay we have watching Eurovision Song Contest using laptop and this free hotel wifi, the contest takes ab. 4 hours, but no disconnection was happened, I can say that this wifi was perfect at this evening.
Whats more - good location, only 2-3 minutes to metro station, Vyschehrad hill - 10 min. walking, shopping center - 2 metro station at Pankrac.
I would like to reccomend this place as a good option for short stay, weekend break... Off course the Staff is very helpfull and friendly, im my opinion they are proffesionalists in their business.
"The best price guarantee" offered on ihg.com is a real option and it's work!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnGuestRel1, Manager at Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear guest,

we are delighted that we were allowed to make your stays pleasant experience! All our staff members are always pleased to learn that their effort is so much appreciated. We want to thank you to be so nice and positive clients of us.

We truly believe to welcome you or your friends back with us at Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre.

With kind regards

Martin Dolezal
Accommodation Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Difficult location for access by any means other than taxi. Rooms spartan and concrete. Breakfast nice but over-crowded. Probably ok if just going to a convention at the Congress Center but not good for tourism or luxury.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SwissFamilyRogers
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Hotel is very close to the main congress center in Prague. It is a a nice , medium size, well managed Hotel. The room where I stayed was sufficiently large, clean with a large and confortable bed. I had a relaxing sleep. The area around the Hotel is quiet and with a very nice park. The breakfast menu was large and rich. Certainly recommendable for Congress-goers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Reception staff cold and not at all polite. Small rooms. Furniture straight from the 80's. Spartan bathroom and very noisy ventilation. Small TV and small bed. Quite far from the centre. I am not sure why on Earth anybody will stay here - only for the sake of a Congress and it is like a prison

Room Tip: Do not come here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Adrian C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Prague Congress Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Adrian C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your overall experience was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that we are looking into your concern as we would like to follow up on your recent stay. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Charisse V
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here, with a Friend to not only see the sights of Prague but also to attend a Conference at the Congress Centre, next door. Very clean and comfortable, Breakfast and dinner, delicious! Great service from the Breakfast and Dinner staff, especially Thomas, the Food and Beverage Manager and Pieter, also the other staff. Venue so relaxing and intriguing. Front desk Staff didn't know where the closest Catholic Church was, unfortunately and it would be great to have 30K stamps for overseas post cards, even sell Postcards: the staff will post postcards for Guests, though. As in everywhere in Prague and other major Cities, never leave your valuables unattended. Very good at assisting with Taxis.

1  Thank 984Traveller