“Hotel good but beware noisy location”

Ibis Praha Mala Strana
Ranked #190 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Although the room was small and basic, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Location good for visiting both the old and new part of town - easy to walk across the river to the old town, but public transport very good if walking is too much effort. Breakfast excellent. We didn't use the hotel restaurant in the evening but had very good, inexpensive meals at the Italian restaurant across the road. The main down side to our stay was the very noisy location - our bedroom window looked out onto the loading bay of Tesco, and delivery vehicles were arriving throughout the night. The noise this created, together with general traffic noise of a busy road and frequent emergency vehicle sirens made achieving a good night's sleep quite a challenge. Service was good, staff friendly and helpful, minor problem with shower was sorted out straight away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel to the Tesco shopping complex
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy R
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana. I am sorry that the noise disturbing your stay, rest assured that the team and I will review your comments and we will do our best to improve on those points.
I hope this will not deter you from returning to Ibis Praha Mala Strana in the future to check on our progress.
regards
Michal Tomes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed 23 September 2012

The hotel is very close to shopping centre with excellent public transport and restaurants nearby. By contrast there is a lot of traffic, sirens sounds and trams tremble which starts at 05.00 am. The room includes the essential with no safe, no rubbish bin and just five clothes hungers. Housekeeping was essential too with used glasses left unwashed and empty soap dispenser left unchanged for one day. In spite upon arrival I asked whether the rate included breakfast and got a positive answer, it was fully charged instead, suggesting that the Hotel policy may not have been clear during my reservation or leaving discretion for extra charges. The room air conditioning was centrally switched off and it became uncomfortable during my second week of staying as the temperature dropped about 11 degree at night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sal I

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana. I am sorry that some of the hotel facilities and services were not up to your expectations, rest assured that the team and I will review your comments and we will do our best to improve on those points.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

In one of my business trips to Praha , I stayed in this hotel.
Very centrally located, and excellent value for money. The hotel staff is very curtious and the resturant has a wide variety of choice. A must try option if you are going to Praha. Another advantage is that it is quite close to the old city :)

Room Tip: Avoid taking rooms towards the road side. Its a little bit noisy due to the adjoining overbridge.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank atmaprakashmishra
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments,
I will surely share your positive feed back with the team, we strive to always try to provide the best possible service to our guests, and I am pleased that we managed to make your stay an enjoyable one.
We hope to welcome you back very soon at Ibis Praha Mala Strana.
Regards, Michal

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Recently spent two nights here with a coach party. Rooms clean and tidy, disappointed only two trowels though. Oh boy was it obvious it was a room at a price, the evening meal was so bad that on the 2nd night we eat out at the Italian restaurant opposite which puts this hotel to shame. You get what you pay for. Breakfast was not much better, watered down juices and coffee that wasb awful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana. I am sorry that our restaurant services were not up to your expectations, rest assured that the team and I will review your comments and we will do our best to improve on those points.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

As part of a recent trip to Prague, I stayed in this hotel for the second part of my trip having stayed in the Hilton Old Town for the first part of my trip. When booking a hotel, I do look for the best possible value, but as I get older, I have tried to steer clear of hotels described as 3* but which in reality are not much better than a hostel (and a bad hostel at that). Past experience of extremely poor quality bedding and room fittings (carpets, walls etc) have made me wary of trying to book something a little better but also still sticking to a VFM policy.
In terms of location, this hotel is 2 mins from the nearest tram stop and 4 mins to the nearest metro (incl the time to negotiate Prague's long escalators!). Both these forms of transport can get you to the New Town (Wenc Sq) or Old Town in less than 10 mins. Even if you ignore public transport, it is a pleasant 25 minute walk into either of these areas. The hotel is located about 100 yards from the Novy Smichov shopping Mall - with loads of shops including Tesco! They also have a varied selection of restaurants and fast food chains on the top floor. Many other reviews mention this too.
As for the hotel - it looks very new or recently refurbished - the bedroom was very spacious - the bed was reasonably comfortable - the TV was ok - and the toilet/shower facilities were good.
I did not have breakfast booked with my room (it was available for 11 euro extra - a little too pricey for me) - I did have one drink in the hotel bar - all very pleasant - prices were ok - but several local bars in this area are much cheaper. The hotel also provides internet facilities in the lobby free of charge - this was very useful for me.
Ok - so overall, I can't have too many complaints. I booked the room in Accor's Super Sale - supposedly 50% off - and I got it for £90 for 3 nights. My only slight negative is the lack of things that I would expect a 3* hotel to provide:

coffee facilities in the room
room safe (ok - maybe I'm pushing things here for a 3*)
fridge (same as above)
individual toiletries - the room provided a "squeezy" bottle both in the shower and hand basin - but no individual little toiletries.

However, when I was in the lift, I noticed that all of these items could be purchased at an additional cost - somewhere in the region of £3.50/day for fridge, £4 for coffee and £7 for toiletry set - ok no option on the room safe.

I guess my opinion had been skewed by my stay in the Hilton for the previous 3 nights and I was expecting too much of a 3* hotel.

However, despite this slight negative, please do no let this ruin my overall positive experience.

Just one last thing, the staff in this hotel are of an exceptional quality- they were all very well presented, they spoke English very well (and probably several other languages), they were extremely helpful with any queries I had - and they were very pleasant.

I would definitely book this hotel again for VFM - and the location is great if you can get over the "wrong side of the river" syndrome.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mousehole799
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Good morning, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your review on our hotel, we are all pleased at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana, that you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and in Prague. We strive to always enhance the quality of service and guest satisfaction, I will pass on to the team your comments and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon. Regards, Michal Tomes

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed in Ibis after previously staying in Andel's and Angelo around the corner. I would say that the room and service is adequate to the price. I paid £114 for 3 nights (with b-fast and free internet) which I think is a great price for a nice clean room. It's not a 5* hotel so I didn't expect much but it was good enough for the price (quick check-in and check-out and I was offered an umbrella when it rained)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feed back on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Mala Strana hotel in Prague. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have managed to provide you with the level of service and comfort you were expecting.
I will be sharing your review with the team, as it is rewarding for us to read that you are satisfied.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Well located hotel, with clean rooms and a good breakfast spread.
On the other hand, some of their front-desk staff could learn to smile more often, and be more courteous/helpful to guests. The parking space is bad and very expensive, and you get to know about it only when you have made your reservations and reached the hotel, by which time it is too late!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
I thank you for your comments. Your remarks are important to us and will enable us to improve the quality of our offer and services in a matter to satisfy our guests' needs and expectations.I will surely share your feed back with the team and we hope to welcome you back very soon at Ibis Praha Mala Strana.
Best regards,