“Last minute booking” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #187 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Trim, Ireland
“Last minute booking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights. The staff were excellent and very helpful. The old Town of Prague is about 25 minutes walk away and if you like shopping, there is quite a large shopping complex next door to the hotel.
One down side is the trams rolling past and the odd police car going by with the sirens going but I would fault the hotel for that.
Would I stay here again should I come back to Prague, I'd have to say yes.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ronan97
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Good morning, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your review on our hotel, we are all pleased at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana, that you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and in Prague. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.
Regards, Michal Tomes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed here for three nights after returning to Prague from Vienna. It was a few months ago in May, but we still remember quite clearly as we thoroughly enjoyed our time. Breakfast was great, setting you up to hit the streets for the rest of the day - the location is good, being right in the heart of a shopping centre and markets. We were also able to catch the tram to the old city, or stay on the tram and go for miles, and yet also quite easily find our way back. We stayed at two places while in Prague, with a visit to Vienna in between. The staff at the Ibis were friendly, professional and helpful. It was also great to be staying at the same place as lots of other overseas tourists (even though we didn't know them) as this was one thing we all had in common. The only disappointment was when our payments were mixed up, and reception didn't at first have any knowledge that our room had been pre-paid. After quite abit of discussion this was sorted out, but I would advise you have proof of payment if pre-paying your stay here. Otherwise, apart from that, we enjoyed our stay, our room although quite compact, had everything we needed, and was modern and comfortable. There is also a restaurant that's open for all meals, although we only had breakfast here, which was delicious, with a huge variety of foods to choose from. Note: May is a great time to visit Prague, as its Spring and the weather is great.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank champ1410
I am glad that you have had an enjoyable stay here with us in Ibis Praha Mala Strana hotel. We strive to always enhance the quality of service and guest satisfaction, I will pass on to the team your comments, and we hope to see you soon back in our hotel.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Although the room was small and basic, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Location good for visiting both the old and new part of town - easy to walk across the river to the old town, but public transport very good if walking is too much effort. Breakfast excellent. We didn't use the hotel restaurant in the evening but had very good, inexpensive meals at the Italian restaurant across the road. The main down side to our stay was the very noisy location - our bedroom window looked out onto the loading bay of Tesco, and delivery vehicles were arriving throughout the night. The noise this created, together with general traffic noise of a busy road and frequent emergency vehicle sirens made achieving a good night's sleep quite a challenge. Service was good, staff friendly and helpful, minor problem with shower was sorted out straight away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel to the Tesco shopping complex
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy R
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana. I am sorry that the noise disturbing your stay, rest assured that the team and I will review your comments and we will do our best to improve on those points.
I hope this will not deter you from returning to Ibis Praha Mala Strana in the future to check on our progress.
regards
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

The hotel is very close to shopping centre with excellent public transport and restaurants nearby. By contrast there is a lot of traffic, sirens sounds and trams tremble which starts at 05.00 am. The room includes the essential with no safe, no rubbish bin and just five clothes hungers. Housekeeping was essential too with used glasses left unwashed and empty soap dispenser left unchanged for one day. In spite upon arrival I asked whether the rate included breakfast and got a positive answer, it was fully charged instead, suggesting that the Hotel policy may not have been clear during my reservation or leaving discretion for extra charges. The room air conditioning was centrally switched off and it became uncomfortable during my second week of staying as the temperature dropped about 11 degree at night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sal I
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana. I am sorry that some of the hotel facilities and services were not up to your expectations, rest assured that the team and I will review your comments and we will do our best to improve on those points.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

In one of my business trips to Praha , I stayed in this hotel.
Very centrally located, and excellent value for money. The hotel staff is very curtious and the resturant has a wide variety of choice. A must try option if you are going to Praha. Another advantage is that it is quite close to the old city :)

Room Tip: Avoid taking rooms towards the road side. Its a little bit noisy due to the adjoining overbridge.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank atmaprakashmishra
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments,
I will surely share your positive feed back with the team, we strive to always try to provide the best possible service to our guests, and I am pleased that we managed to make your stay an enjoyable one.
We hope to welcome you back very soon at Ibis Praha Mala Strana.
Regards, Michal
Swanley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Recently spent two nights here with a coach party. Rooms clean and tidy, disappointed only two trowels though. Oh boy was it obvious it was a room at a price, the evening meal was so bad that on the 2nd night we eat out at the Italian restaurant opposite which puts this hotel to shame. You get what you pay for. Breakfast was not much better, watered down juices and coffee that wasb awful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay with us at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana. I am sorry that our restaurant services were not up to your expectations, rest assured that the team and I will review your comments and we will do our best to improve on those points.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

As part of a recent trip to Prague, I stayed in this hotel for the second part of my trip having stayed in the Hilton Old Town for the first part of my trip. When booking a hotel, I do look for the best possible value, but as I get older, I have tried to steer clear of hotels described as 3* but which in reality are not much better than a hostel (and a bad hostel at that). Past experience of extremely poor quality bedding and room fittings (carpets, walls etc) have made me wary of trying to book something a little better but also still sticking to a VFM policy.
In terms of location, this hotel is 2 mins from the nearest tram stop and 4 mins to the nearest metro (incl the time to negotiate Prague's long escalators!). Both these forms of transport can get you to the New Town (Wenc Sq) or Old Town in less than 10 mins. Even if you ignore public transport, it is a pleasant 25 minute walk into either of these areas. The hotel is located about 100 yards from the Novy Smichov shopping Mall - with loads of shops including Tesco! They also have a varied selection of restaurants and fast food chains on the top floor. Many other reviews mention this too.
As for the hotel - it looks very new or recently refurbished - the bedroom was very spacious - the bed was reasonably comfortable - the TV was ok - and the toilet/shower facilities were good.
I did not have breakfast booked with my room (it was available for 11 euro extra - a little too pricey for me) - I did have one drink in the hotel bar - all very pleasant - prices were ok - but several local bars in this area are much cheaper. The hotel also provides internet facilities in the lobby free of charge - this was very useful for me.
Ok - so overall, I can't have too many complaints. I booked the room in Accor's Super Sale - supposedly 50% off - and I got it for £90 for 3 nights. My only slight negative is the lack of things that I would expect a 3* hotel to provide:

coffee facilities in the room
room safe (ok - maybe I'm pushing things here for a 3*)
fridge (same as above)
individual toiletries - the room provided a "squeezy" bottle both in the shower and hand basin - but no individual little toiletries.

However, when I was in the lift, I noticed that all of these items could be purchased at an additional cost - somewhere in the region of £3.50/day for fridge, £4 for coffee and £7 for toiletry set - ok no option on the room safe.

I guess my opinion had been skewed by my stay in the Hilton for the previous 3 nights and I was expecting too much of a 3* hotel.

However, despite this slight negative, please do no let this ruin my overall positive experience.

Just one last thing, the staff in this hotel are of an exceptional quality- they were all very well presented, they spoke English very well (and probably several other languages), they were extremely helpful with any queries I had - and they were very pleasant.

I would definitely book this hotel again for VFM - and the location is great if you can get over the "wrong side of the river" syndrome.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mousehole799
IBISMALASTRANA, General Manager at Ibis Praha Mala Strana, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Good morning, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your review on our hotel, we are all pleased at the Ibis Praha Mala Strana, that you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and in Prague. We strive to always enhance the quality of service and guest satisfaction, I will pass on to the team your comments and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon. Regards, Michal Tomes