“Lovely stay in a beautiful city”

Hotel Century Old Town Prague - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #68 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely stay in a beautiful city”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My mum and I decided to meet in Europe for a vacation - mum came from the UK and I came from Toronto. After checking reviews on here we booked this hotel. I had a few questions before booking and had quick responses from the MGallery group and they were very accomodating with our requests.

We met at the airport and took a taxi (not booked through the hotel - check my reviews for taxi review) to the hotel. We arrived at approx 12pm - check in was fast and with a smile. We didn't have too much interaction with the front desk, but whenever we did they were very helpful and always smiling.

The room was a bit small, but still more than enough room for the 2 of us - and we totally understand the history behind the building and the restrictions on any changes that can be made within the building. The room was very clean - with a fridge, safe, closet, table, a couple of chairs, a full length mirror (awesome!). There was a hairdryer supplied, and the usual amenities (shampoo, shower gel, soap, shower cap). There was also a shoe shine cloth supplied, slippers, towel gowns, nail file, sewing kit - so, some nice little extras. The beds were super comfortable. Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooking the Courtyard so it was very quiet, even with the window open all night. This was great because there was no a/c in the room and it got quite stuffy at times and so we had to keep the window open. There was what looked like an a/c controller on the wall - it said 5/10/15 etc celsius. We turned it on and hot air came out. We were told by the front desk that it only works for hot air - this was very odd (it either needs to be fixed, or it should be clearly marked for heat only). The shower was amazing. House keeping were fantastic and did a great job cleaning the room (and were also helpful when we needed any extras).

Breakfast was included in our booking and it was really good - egg/omlette station, muffins, breads, yogurts, coffee machine, fresh fruits, cereal, milk, juices, meat/cheese slices, sausages, bacon etc. Basically everything you want in a European breakfast. The staff in the morning were lovely and very sweet. One thing that was lacking was multi-tasking when making the omlettes. One time I was caught behind a guy that ordered 4 omlettes. The staff member made the omlettes one at a time and it took quite a while (and a line built up behind me). At other hotels they usually make at least 2 omlettes at a time. I was on vacation and not in a rush so it's not a big deal, but I think it would be a good idea when it's busy.

The hotel location is fantastic! 10 mins walk from Old Town Square, Wenceslas Square and the main train station. The tram system is great, but we never used it. Mum and I walked everywhere - even up to Prague Castle, and down to the Dancing House. Prague is a fantastic city to stroll around in (and were were lucky to have great weather in October). The Palladium is round the corner from the hotel - over 200 stores (yay!), and a fab food court (with fast food and sit down restaurants). There's also a number of other restaurants within a few minutes of the hotel. Billa supermarket is very close too.

If you're travelling through Brussel (like I did) be sure to allow at least 1.5 hours to transfer (to allow for delays, line ups etc). It's one building, but one really big building. My checked baggage went all the way through, but i did have to go through passport control and hand luggage security. It took me 55 minutes to go from gate to gate (and with a non-EU passport it would have taken longer).

On a final note, Prague is known for being a party city - but that's not all it is. It is beautiful and there is so much to see and do in the daytime. You don't have to go to the clubs to enjoy Prague!

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard is very quiet. Views are lovely from the 5th floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank foreverblended
Christophe B, General Manager at Hotel Century Old Town Prague - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure welcoming you to the Hotel Century Old Town in Prague and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!

At M Gallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Christophe Bergeron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Well... when I was searching a hotel to stay in, I also browsed some reviews on the Internet, and all of them said, that the hotel is just brilliant. And so I decided to choose MGallery. And I came there.
I couldn't say, that I was extremely disappointed, but I was definitely a bit unpleasantly surprised: it is a very average hotel, with average, not very big rooms, with the TV set which didn't work, and the shower cabin which wasn't clean enough. My Mom and I didn't had breakfast there - too expensive. We prefered to go to the cafe on the other side of the street - Pizza Coloseum. So I think the only advantage of the hotel is its location - you can easily get to the Old Town Square.
So, coming to the point, I don't understand, why this hotel is considered to be so brilliant and exceptional. Average and too expensive, but a good location - that's all.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexandra D
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the MGallery Hotel Century Old Town. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our hotel is a classified building. Through its refined decoration, it also celebrates the neo-baroque style and recreate, for the confort of our guest the warm and intimate atmospher of the beginning of the century. The famous writer had worked as an insurance clerk between 1908 and 1922 when the hotel was an insurance company.

That is why our hotel is considered by our guest to be so brilliant and exceptional. For sure nothing to compare with a pizzeria.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and i came to the beautiful city of Prague to celebrate my birthday We were there for a week and an extra bonus to this magnificent city was our stay at the Century old town Hotel The service was excellent the room was large and had a great view of the city clean and quiet The staff were extremely helpfull and curtious always smilling and always willing to be of any assistence
The breakfast was also another pleasent surprise plentifull and well served and very tasty
The location of the hotel could not be any better superb location We will definately return to this amazing guest friendly and beautifull hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Alina F, Manager at Hotel Century Old Town Prague - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience of our hotel with the Tripadvisor community. I am glad that you chose our property & city as best location & destination to celebrate your birthday and that we succeeded in meeting your expectations.

Hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future,

With kind regards,

Alina Fugaciu
Operations Manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I booked this hotel, based on the pictures and the "Memorable Moment" quote of the hotel. Lies! The booking page stated superior room with king size. The superior room was a standard room and the king size bed was a queen bed. When we asked the hotel reception they said a queen bed is a king size bed in Europe and that the room was the actual "superior" size. We couldn't upgrade to a suite, because they only have one suite, but I'm sure it wasn't much bigger.

The hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. Petr was kind enough to show us other rooms to accommodate us.He also made great recommendations within the city for us to tour. The evening bartender was also very kind and made sure I had plenty of honey for my tea.

The staff was excellent. But I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. It's my 2nd disappointment with Accor hotels. If the room was bigger and more decorated and the bed an actual king size bed I would give it another chance.

2 Thank Tishia A
Christophe B, General Manager at Hotel Century Old Town Prague - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the MGallery Praha Hotel Century Old Town.
The Hotel is an historical building which was an Insurance company at the beginning where F.Kafka worked. As a classified building, during the renovation in 2001 we had to respect some rules, which are giving the particularity to our hotel and make this unique atmosphere.
I confirm that you were in a superior room, 23 m2 with king size bed (160 x 200).
And our suite is a Duplex of 87 m2.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Eilat, Israel
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Very Quaint,awesome location just a 15 minute casual walk to the Charles Bridge. Staff was very helpful and the breakfast was nicer than we expected. Very relaxed bar on location fairly priced ...the room was adequate, and mattress very comfortable. would highly recommend.

Room Tip: after speaking to fellow travelers some said there was a little street noise on the bottom floor wit...

malaysia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel is great for its location. Its easy to walk to everywhere. The room was comfortable and breakfast was adequate but it does get a bit boring after 3 days as the selection is the same. Overall, we were happy we stayed this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We have just stayed for two nights at this hotel and were most impressed with every aspect of it. It is located in a great location close to the town square and walking distance to Wenceslas square. Plenty of places to eat and lots to see. Hotel is very well furnished and rooms are modern and spacious. Bed is very comfortable and bathroom well supplied. The staff at the hotel are very helpful and attentive. We were most impressed with Petr at the bar who is an asset to the hotel. As ACCOR advantage plus members we were given a few extras on arrival which were totally unexpected but very much appreciated. A free drink and tapas at the bar as well as a friendly visit from catering with two large cakes and a bottle of water within ten minutes of our arrival. Breakfast buffet was comprehensive and well presented.This was our first visit to Prague and we love it so will be back and definitely at this hotel.

1 Thank swa58717
Christophe B, General Manager at Hotel Century Old Town Prague - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013