“Excellent”
Review of Golden Well Hotel

Golden Well Hotel
Ranked #3 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Last December we stayed in this awesome hotel for 3 days.Our room was very confortable,clean and tranquil.Hotel was marvellous,service was perfect...everything was fine in Golden Well.İf you want to feel extra special and confortable stay there:)

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Efeden

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel based on trip advisor reviews. I had high expectations and I was also prepared to feel disappointed because sometimes excellent reviews do not always meet my expectations.
It is a small hotel, tucked away near Government buildings and underneath Prague Castle, about 10 minutes walk maximum from Charles Bridge. I loved the location, away from the bustle of the Centre, but near enough to feel part of Prague.

We had a standard room, 21, on the 2nd floor which looked out onto another building. It was a large room, with a comfortable large bed, and a sitting area. I liked the furnishings which I would describe as classic reproduction. The bathroom was well equipped with a shower over the jacuzzi bath which was attached to the wall. ( I think some rooms only have a hand held shower).
The room was always very clean.

A recent previous review has described the 'complimentary extras' that the hotel provides very well so I won't repeat them. Being British I do like to have our own tea making facilities and this was offered on our arrival. Noise did travel slightly within the hotel, perhaps because of the wooden floors throughout the hotel, and this may be a problem for rooms higher up the building, ie underneath the restaurant.
A previous review did complain about turn down service being very early and this did happen to us one evening, about 6pm, so we just put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door and changed it round when we went out,so that when we came back the room was prepared.
Breakfast was expensive but lovely with a lot of choice.
All the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Personally I really loved this hotel and would rate it as one of the best 'city' hotels I have stayed in, and was good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HilaryBee
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Just returned from the hotel, and we had mixed feelings about it. We chose the hotel because it was nº 1 on Tripadvisor and had won a few Traveler's Choice Awards, so our expectations were pretty high (taking also into account that it is not the cheapest hotel). Below are my impressions:

(a) location: the location is very good, right beneath the castle, and Mala Strana is gorgeous. However, most of the bars, restaurants and night life are in Stare Mesto (on the other side of the river), and, therefore, you will need to walk quite a lot back and forth over the Charles Bridge (always crowded with lots and lots of tourists);

(b) staff: staff is friendly, but as in most hotels that are in the top five of any city on Tripadvisor;

(c) turn down service: a nice touch is the turn down service in which you get a small sweet treat (for a good night sleep!). However, there is some lack in attention to detail, as the bed covers were just thrown on top of the TV cabinet (usually, these bed covers are nicely folded away and hidden in some place where you don't see them...but not on the TV!);

(d) room: the room is nice and feels comfortable. But it is nothing really special (our room had no view at all, as it was on the second floor). In fact, I would not consider it is a "luxurious" room (is more like a standard 4 star hotel room). The amenities are very good (Molton Brown), and there are nice slippers. In addition, there are iPod docking stations and free bottled water;

(c) coffee and tea time: there is a Nespresso in which you can take free coffee 24/7. In addition, between 4 and 6 pm every day there are cakes, ham, salmon, juices, wine, etc. for free, which is great to meet other guests;

(d) internet: free wifi in the rooms and common areas, and there is a computer with printer (awesome for printing out the boarding cards or information about Prague);

(e) common areas: they are nicely furnished and very comfortable;

(f) restaurant: the views from the restaurant are spectacular. We only had there the welcome drink, as we preferred to have a brunch in a café downtown (breakfast is way too expensive taking into account that you can get a huge breakfast at some of the nice cafés in town for a third of the price requested at the hotel!); and

(g) transfer service: we requested the transfer service to be picked up from the airport, which was very good in brand new Mercedes cars and at a reasonable price (around 35 Euro each way).

Conclusion: a good hotel, but there was no "wow" effect. You get what you pay for, and, being not a cheap hotel, you will not have a bad experience. However, we have stayed at other hotels which have really impressed us, and this one has not.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank CanarioViajero
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The hotel is probably the most anonymous hotel in Prague, seen from outside. Inside there is a tastefully decorated hotel of high class. Service level is very high, and perhaps what distinguishes this hotel. I have never been given so much attention at any other hotel I've stayed at. Excellent breakfast in the restaurant, and dinner with good friends on the rooftop restaurant with views of Prague is great. One annoying aspect of the hotel is that the water in the shower changes from pleasant to boiling hot to ice cold. A quick shower can therefore be an unpleasant experience. The hotel is encouraged to do something with this. Internet connection can also be unstable.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Stickan
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I can't speak highly enough of the staff at the Golden Well! This was our second stay there, and they went out of their way to make our 30th anniversary very special for us. Thanks to all of you for some wonderful memories, and we hope to see you again very soon! Wayne and Lynne Ellis

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2011

The Golden Well is a wonderful boutique hotel where every detail is designed with the comfort of the guest in mind. My room had a lovely view and was equipped with everything one could possibly imagine. A beautiful bowl of fresh fruit, a plate of exquisite cheeses and a nice bottle of wine awaited me when I arrived and each evening a delicious dessert accompanied the turn down service. Everything about my experience at The Golden Well would make me want to return and I would recommend it without qualification to my most discriminating friends.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I chose Prague for a 3 day stop in the middle of our 3 week European honeymoon and it was well worth it! After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor we settled on booking a room at the Golden Well at the Prague Castle and it lived up to and exceeded our expectations. From the moment we arrived at night we were greeted by a very friendly hostess, Tereza I believe, who offered us refreshments while checking us in. After a lovely tour and showing us to our room we were greeted moments later by another staffer bringing our nightly dessert and turndown service. The room was a great size and the bathroom was amazing...it was wonderfully warm and welcoming since it was so cold outside! The hotel had very friendly staff, a great DVD library to rent English movies from, great drinks and appetizers in their lounge each evening, and a wonderful private entrance to the Prague castle. It was a great few days made only better by our great hotel!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple