“Simply the best”
Review of Golden Well Hotel

Golden Well Hotel
Ranked #3 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 8 December 2011

From the moment you arrive, you are treated like royalty , from the personalised tour of the hotel, to a welcome drink and a canapé in the restaurant. The staff were exceptional, and were very happy to do anything for you. The hotel is very close to Charles Bridge, with lots of restaurants near by. The restaurant in the hotel was also very good. It is the little things that make the difference from the free water in your room everyday to the little nighttime treat delivered every evening. A very special hotel, and I will return next time with the family

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Queen-ofthe-Desert
There are newer reviews for Golden Well Hotel

Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed at the Golden Well this last November and were very comfortable there. The hotel is quaint and well appointed near the castle and on a small street away from the hubbub of the Charles River. Our room was spacious. The turn down service included water and a different, delicious little dessert each night. Our bathroom had a jacuzzi, which was so helpful each night after walking on the beautiful but difficult cobble stoned streets of Prague. The Concierge room is quite nice and the views, at least from our room, were magical! This is truly a gem of a hotel. A breakfast and dinner there, though pricey, is well worth it for the view alone-but the food was wonderful as well. We would definitely stay here again when we return to Prague.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a view and if you want a jacuzzi, that as well.
2  Thank lesmad
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Just returned from two days at this great hotel. Small, very cozy and the service was second to none. We've travelled the world mostly staying at 5 star hotels and resorts. Nothing comes close to this little gem if you also consider the price. Naturally there are better hotels in the world and better locations, but the combination of great service, low price and great food is remarkable. I have my own company and I took my employees for a weekend trip here. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Thomas E
Reviewed 29 November 2011

There is something going on here I can not figure out ? I stay in 50 + hotels every year. I think I have almost seen it all. I use Trip Advisor almost daily and this is only the second time it has done me wrong. There is always the nut job that can never be pleased. I promise I am not that person. Since my review is so different then most reviews of this place I will just give a outline with the facts about this rated #1 2011 TA hotel.

#1 There are two other larger hotels in Prague with the same sounding name. 4 out of 4 taxi drivers had no idea where this place was.

#2 The driveway to the hotel is so narrow taxi's can not pull up to the front of the place because they can not back up. You have to get out and carry your bags a block. In our case it was not pleasant on wet cold cobble stones. Feels more like a hostel the a so called % star hotel.

#3 Calling this place a hotel is just wrong. It is a house. It is so much closer calling it a bed and breakfast then a 5* hotel

#4 The area it is in is not special. It is surrounded by blocks and blocks of government office buildings. No retail at all to even buy a coke. You have to spend 10 min walking to get out of the area to go anywhere. On weekends its a ghost town.Its not close to the bridge and you could barely claim it is on the hill. Hotel management call the area quite. I call it boring and lame and a hassle.

#5 Our room was up two long flights of stairs. The are narrow and made of wood, very loud when people had to go up and down them. I never saw a elevator.

#4 The wireless internet did not work anywhere close to our room. It did work in the small 200 sq foot lobby. I did have to go down to the lobby to search and book another hotel in Prague on my laptop.

#5 Rooms do not have showers just tubs. Some kind of have a weak euro shower curtain. So small and weak you get attacked by it when trying to take a shower. Gross !

#6 Our room was a cave. Poor lighting, Two very small windows as big as a average book. The ceilings were low I kept bumping my head. A pillar in the middle of the small room. I get the charm of a old building but all I could think of is being stuck in my grandmas attic. You look out of the small windows and the view was a wall 3 feet away. Almost zero natural light.

#7 The heat is turned up so high you feel like you are in a sauna. The windows are so small, opening them bring little relief.

#8 The beds are very low, less then 20 inches off the ground. Their cheap crappy mattresses are from purchased from a major blue and yellow big box Swedish retailer.

#9 This place is not even the highest rated place in Prague. Not sure how it can be the highest rated place on the planet ?

#10 I paid $510 a night and it did not include breakfast.

#11 Their restaurant gave me food positioning and I spent my time in Prague in my room. There is a great view from the restaurant but not from the rooms.

#12 There are many B & B's of this same quality in Prague for less the $ 70 usd a night.

#13 The walls are paper thin. You can hear everything going on in the house. Hearing some Russian couple every move from the bathroom to the bedroom was nasty.

#14 Our TV was dead and did not work. There was a radio in the room but did not want to turn it on to disturb other people staying there.

I understand my review is the exact opposite from the mainstream and that leaves me perplexed ? Is the place clean, yes. Do the hoity toity euro staff try to lay it on thick to make you feel good, yes. Prague is a magical city and if this place was $50 a night and I was backpacking in college ?? No ! I still would never go back to the Golden Well. We left and went to the new hot Asian themed hotel in Prague. It was half the price and a million times better then the Golden Well scam. Management always had a lame excuse for everything. Can t wait to hear their response from this review ? The facts are the facts. I have so much I would like to say but then it would make me look like a nut job.

You have been warned !

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
32  Thank Andrew B
GoldenWellHotel, Manager at Golden Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your opinion. Everyone has the right to express their feelings. I won't dispute your allegation, However, I think other Trip Advisor viewers will probably form opinion of their own. Even though I do not agree with most of your arguments, I am deeply disappointed by your negative review.

As you mentioned in your review, our hotel is located in quiet and romantic part of the city yet in the centre (downtown). Our hotel is sought by people, who want to relax and to forget about the rush and hastiness of everyday life. It seems you were looking for central located hotels nearby clubs and with more possibilities of entertainment as seen from your past reviews.

As you left the hotel very shortly after your arrival that night, we weren't able to pamper you with our services and special surprises, which are very appreciated by most of our valuable customers. These details are what make the difference between our hotel and other properties.

Nevertheless, we deeply regret, that our hotel did not meet your expectations and we are glad, you found what were you looking for in another hotel in Prague and that you enjoyed your stay in the city.

With all my regards,

David Hofman
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel is amazing. It is beautiful and down a little cobblestone street. The daily savory and sweet treats and drinks in the common room at 4-6pm was a perfect midday treat to have before dinner. Also the bedside table turn down service treats were also a nice touch. Wifi was a bit spotty and slow, but was sufficient enough. Not many english tv channels, but then again who goes on vacation to watch tv. Must try the hotel restaurant - Terasa. Best in Prague. Make a reservation in advance, it fills up quickly.

1  Thank Cynthia M
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in November
we took public transport to get there for the first time and i should have taken a more detailed map to get there from the tube. However we quickly got directions and without them we may still be looking now. The hotel is hidden away next to some of the terraced palace gardens. The restaurant was fantastic We got a seat without a problem for the first evening. However there was no room for the last evening so it would pay to book. We did go to the sister hotel and although it was only a 5 minute walk the food was just as good.
The hotel is fantastically located for the castle and cathederal. We were only 10 minutes walk away from the astronical clock and the jewish quater as well as wensleslas square. the Theatres and opera houses are amazing and although I am not a classical music or opera fan at least they do not have your eyes out when buying refreshments and drink when you are inside, a class of wine cost the equivalent of £1.50 at the interval. The tickets also were reasonable at £15.00

Whilst there it is worth spending a whole day at the castle complex and seeing all of the exhibits.

We did not have the breakfast at the hotel with all of the fine dining there is no need to over indulge

enjoy your stay as we certainly did

1  Thank andrewt7741
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this beautiful respite last week. We arrived to a bottle of red wine and plate of cheese and fruit in the room...nice touch! This hotel is impeccable in every sense...it caters to your every whim and is first class in every way...intimate, service oriented, and cosy!!! It is a small boutique 19 room place located about a 10 minute walk to the Charles Bridge away from the busy hustle of the tourist areas. It is quiet, the room was adorable with great little touches throughout our stay...desserts provided at turn down service left by our bed each night, waters, and our slippers ready for us. Each night they had small sandwiches and coffee/tea available in the common room. We would absolutely highly recommend Golden Well to anyone looking to have a quaint getaway in an amazing city! Hustle and business duringnthe days and quiet comforts at night. this is the only place we will stay on our next visit back to Prague!

Room Tip: We had room 32...lovely!
3  Thank bvlovetraveling