“Very average room - OK hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Well Hotel

Golden Well Hotel
Ranked #3 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Plano, Texas
“Very average room - OK hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I really, really, really wanted to have a great stay at this hotel but one look at the room and I was deeply disappointed. Granted, I don't think there are many triples at this hotel, but I paid quite a bit extra for the triple and requested one with a view. This hotel is apparently known for its views and I can attest that we had a view of absolutely nothing. Considering our lack of view, there was really no reason to stay here. The décor is less than would be expected for a 5* hotel, yet I still had to pay the 5* price. Very disappointing.

We arrived during extreme rains/floods and I made numerous calls to the hotel at my expense letting them know our status. Our arrival was delayed several hours due to flooded train rails and the hotel was kept informed every step of the way. We completely missed the manager's reception and when we arrived around 8:00 PM or so after a very long and wet day, we were informed that there was nothing saved for us to eat from the reception. I had to go out at 8:45 PM on a very wet and rainy Sunday night and thankfully managed to find a Starbucks that was still open for a few more minutes or else we would've had no dinner at all.

Although the room rate included a complimentary breakfast, a charge for the breakfast was included in the final bill and I had to ask that it be removed. Again, I was irritated that I had to bring this up as I'd asked 2 times previously that the hotel confirm that breakfast was included with my reservation. Additionally, I was told that I would be unable to find my way to the airport on my own using public transportation. I was strongly encouraged several times to book a taxi from the hotel for $50. Glad I didn't heed the hotel's advice - I had no trouble at all using public transportation from the hotel to the airport and didn't have to pay anything extra as our transportation tickets were valid for about 1.5 hours longer (which the young man at the reception desk was already aware).

Make sure you don't stay in our room on the ground floor - it was very disappointing and has no view whatsoever. Better yet, stay at the Alchymist Hotel which I noticed only a few doors down. It looked far lovelier and significantly more upscale.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't stay in our room with no view on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank lisajanetx
Jiri_Hlavaty_GM, General Manager at Golden Well Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write such a detailed review.
I'm very sorry to hear your stay was not flawless. You visited our hotel during very tense and concerning time of floods; however we pride ourselves on providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service in every situation. I would like to take the opportunity to comment on your points:
1. Re: Your room – we always provide our guests with a welcome check-in and show the entire hotel together with the room and all facilities. You are right that your room (Deluxe No. 12) doesn’t have a garden view, however it is very quiet and spacious room with a view to the courtyard and the old cobblestone street. Bathroom features a Jacuzzi and the guest room is ideal to accommodate 3 people. We are sorry that you didn’t mention any discontent regarding your room on the after check-in call we did, otherwise we would try to find some better room or other solution immediately.
2. Re: Manager’s reception – I suppose that you are talking about the complimentary afternoon tea refreshment which we serve to our guests in the VIP lounge every day from 4 to 6 pm. I am deeply sorry that your train was delayed and you didn’t have a chance to enjoy the afternoon tea, however our award winning rooftop restaurant was available until 11 pm and there was a table prepared for you.
3. Re: The breakfast - you are right and we sincerely apologize for this unpleasant miscommunication issue. I believe this regrettable inconvenience has been resolved promptly to your highest satisfaction.
4. Re: The airport transfer – The only reason why we have offered a car to drive you to the airport was due to the complicated situation with the public transport during the extreme floods we have experienced here in Prague during your stay, when lots of connections were delayed or canceled and the situation was complicated even for the locals. We are happy to hear that you arrived to the airport safely.
Let me thank you again for staying with us and I do believe you will give us a second chance to ensure you why Golden Well Hotel belongs to the best hotels in Prague.
With warmest regards,
Jiri Hlavaty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights in early July and loved The Golden Well. We spent the previous two nights as part of a tour at the huge, impersonal Prague Hilton and what a difference at The Golden Well! Since our wedding anniversary was in a few weeks, I booked the Romance Package which gave us a deluxe room (#34), round trip transportation, dinner at their highly rated Terasa restaurant, breakfast, wine, fruit, a special spa bath, and lots of little extras. The check-in process is a bit time- consuming because the staff will give you a tour and a glass of sparkling wine on the terrace. The room was a good size with a large bathroom and one of those fancy heated Japanese toilet seats that virtually eliminates the need for toilet paper. The setting on the back-side of Prague Castle (with a special gated stairway to the castle grounds) was perfect for us and a bit removed from the hustle and bustle of Old Town on the east side of the river. It is quiet, but within an easy 10 minute walk to the Charles Bridge and the many shops and restaurants of Mala Strana. The view from the Terasa restaurant at dusk is as incredible as the food! Book your reservation in advance. We ate here two out of our three nights. The service throughout the hotel is friendly and efficient. One staffer kept me posted via several emails as he secured dinner reservations for us at a riverside restaurant in town while we were on a day trip to Cesky Krumlov. Our room was spotless. Little treats were delivered each evening. Breakfast was delicious, too, though we were typically still stuffed from our dinner and treats the night before. I would definitely stay here again should I have the chance to return to Prague which is just a charming city! Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lisammc285
Jiri_Hlavaty_GM, General Manager at Golden Well Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having shared your experience at the Golden Well Hotel. We're thrilled you enjoyed every aspect of our property. If you choose to stay with us again, our team would be delighted to inform you of even more opportunities at our hotel and surrounding area.

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,

JIri Hlavaty
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

If you want the ultimate in small, boutique type hotels, this one is a winner! It is located in a very quiet part of Prague, beside the Castle. The staff could not do enough for us. We were greeted with a bottle of wine and fruit in our room. The accommodations were very beautiful as well as comfortable. In the evening, your bed is turned down, curtains drawn and a small cake left by your pillow. There is a wonderful late afternoon reception with wine, coffee and light snacks. We loved everything about this hotel and hated to leave. Will come again, maybe the late fall next time!

Room Tip: Choose a room the the first floor. You can easily walk up one flight of stairs. The elevator was n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lnemanick
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are thrilled you're thoroughly satisfied with your stay. All our staff will be delighted with your compliments! We strive to give guests the royal treatment and are glad you felt pampered and comfortable. I hope that you had a chance to climb up to the Castle and the Royal Gardens from our rooftop terrace and if not, I recommend you to do so during your next visit.

We hope you come back soon!

Best regards,

Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I spend 2 nights at the Golden Well Hotel as part of a 25th anniversary trip. It was our first trip to Prague. We loved everything about the hotel -- the service and special attention they gave us was amazing. We had the "romance package" which included roundtrip transportation to the airport, dinner at the hotel, and many special room treats. When you include all the extras, it really was a great value. From the smooth airport pick up, to the hotel greeting and welcome drink, to the amazing dinner and view from the rooftop restaurant, to the many delicious and romantic treats left in the room, to the incredible location (private entrance to Prague castle!) and easy walk to all sites, to the delicious breakfast....I could keep going on. Our room was comfortable, spacious and had a view overlooking the Prague Castle gardens. Wonderful, updated bathroom. The staff was attentive without being intrusive. They provided all the information we needed to make our stay perfect, including a great recommendation for a jazz club. Plus, they communicated very well during the reservation process and made me feel that everything would go smoothly as it did. We needed to leave before breakfast time on our check out day, and they gladly had breakfast bags ready to go for us. So many extras and personal notes made this a truly special place for us. We really enjoyed the city and would definitely stay at the Golden Well again if we return to Prague.

Can't give this hotel a stronger recommendation! Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We spent three nights here and it's really really good. From check-in to check-out, the experience was always first class. Great beds, abundant food - even a free mini buffet in the afternoon to prevent you wilting - and very helpful staff. Simon deserves special mention as the hotel's PR man for Prague. He gave us a comprehensive tour and explanation of the immediate area and offered excellent advice on the best sights to see. The Terrace restaurant combined superb cooking with fabulous unrivalled views of the city, but book before you travel as it's very popular. Add to that the Golden Well's very safe location - it's in the government/diplomatic quarter - and you have total peace of mind. We loved it all and the owner's penchant for collecting art deco furniture and exclusive cognac/Armagnac was an added touch.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel direct. They can offer better deals than you might think.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Colin R
Woodside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Since the moment we checked in, every member of the staff (from the concierge to the maid to the waitress at breakfast) was always so attentive, anticipating our every need. Wonderful dinner and sightseeing recommendations were provided over a welcoming drink on the terrace overlooking beautiful Prague. The staff really made our visit so very special and their sincerity and kindness will definitely bring us back to Golden Well on our next visit! Nothing but smiles all around for this special place and the incredibly kind people who work here.

The back entrance to Prague castle through the gardens is a lovely way to avoid some crowds on your way to the sight.

Additionally, it is worth mentioning that the bedding and pillows were SO comfortable, and this is coming from someone very picky in terms of where she sleeps!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

While visiting Prague with a friend, I had the great pleasure of staying two nights at the Golden Well. The staff was very friendly and professional. You could tell they were very concerned with making their guests feel pampered. The bed was to die for!!! I have never slept so soundly. And dinner on the roof with a not-to be-beat panoramic view was absolutely scrumptious! A lovely, quaint, quiet and perfectly located place to stay while in Prague.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jiri_Hlavaty_GM, General Manager at Golden Well Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your positive experience at the Golden Well Hotel. We really look forward to welcoming you back and really pleased that you enjoyed all that our hotel as to offer, even the very special views from our rooftop restaurant!