Golden Well Hotel
US$325
US$279
Preferred Hotels
  • Breakfast included
Palac U Kocku(Prague)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$154
Travelocity
1,827 results
All reviewsu zlate studnecastle gardensprivate entranceturn down servicepillow menucharles bridgerooftop restaurantold townwelcome drinkevery afternoonboutique hotelspecial hotelapple tvmala stranawonderful hotelsparkling winedinner reservations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2008

After eighteen hours from Hong kong via Heathrow, the reassuring bulk of Stanislav at the Prague airport ([--]) was a clear sign of good things to come. Despite the weight of accolades, including those in Trip Advisor, the Golden Well in Mala Strana (the "Little Quarter") lived up to them.

Comfortably appointed, with even a menu of pillows, this small hotel offered an unending string of small courtesies from Tomas, Luke and their colleagues in reception to the delightful Michaela and the staff in the rooftop restaurant with its sweeping city views at breakfast and moonwashed city lightshow at night.

Tucked under the castle wall in what is arguably the grandest part of Prague, the Golden Well is an interesting five minute walk from the beauty and mayhem of the Charles Bridge and the congestion of the Old Town. The castle can be accessed through a private gate leading into its garden which then leads to the must-see cathedral and the fascinating Hradcany precinct which includes the Loreto, Belvedere, Strahov Monastery and Lobkowicz Palace.

Closer by are the Church of St Nicholas and its adjacent tower offering fine photo opportunities, Wallenstein Palace, Little Quarter Square, funicular railway and quaint riverside area with its ferryboat tours and leafy walks. The proximity of the parliamentiary precinct adds an extra, if seemingly unnecessary, level of security in the area for those who may be nervous in venturing out at night to the many local restaurants and bars which range from simple and noisy pizza joints to fine dining. A recommendation from the hotel to visit nearby David Restaurant proved to be another inspired suggestion.

This hotel is not inexpensive but offers an exceptional standard of serviceand appointments in a most attractive part of Prague. After a day in the surging swell of visitors which deservedly fill the streets of the Old Town, the Golden Well provides a welcoming bar and pleasant outdoor spaces from which to plan your evening adventure, be it to eat in or follow the ready advice of the staff . And, when it's all over, Stanislav can be waiting to spirit you back to the airport

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2008

What a perfect place for a honeymoon! The romantic views over the snow-covered rooftops were just the beginning. The staff were attentive, but discreet. The room was fabulous, and the breakfasts amazing. How wonderful to find there was no rush for breakfast, the restaurant being open until 11am.
In the evening dining in the first class restaurant, whilst looking over the city was an experience I will never forget. The food was delicious!
The hotel is in a great location too. We walked everywhere, and there is so much to see and do. It was great to come back to a glass of wine and some canapes late each afternoon before getting ready for the evening.
I would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2008

I took my girlfriend to the Golden Well Hotel for a surprise break in order to propose. From the moment we were picked up at the airport by the hotels driver everything was perfect. On arrival we were given a personal guided tour which ended in the rooftop restaurant, where we received a drink of our choice and a snack from the award winning chef. When we got to our room, our bags were in the wardrobe waiting for us and classical music was playing on the i pod.

Throughout our four days there the hotel took care of everything. The tour of Prague, tickets to the opera, and advice on where to eat and drink were all organised for us. Ayman on reception was particuarly good, and gave me advice on where to pop the question. He also organised roses and flower petals in the shape of a heart to be on the bed on our return to the hotel the day I proposed. My girlfriend (now fiance) was absolutely blown away by the whole experience, and i cannot have wished for a better trip.

The location is also great. The hotel is situated directly below the castle, near the diplomatic buildings. The quiet bars and restaurants of the old town are 5 minutes walk away, Charles bridge around 10 minutes and the new town/ jewish quarter around 20 mins. In fact, all the major tourist spots of prague are within a half hour walk of the hotel.

Its hard to find any bad points about the hotel, because if you had a complaint it would be addressed by the staff straight away. The fact there are only 19 rooms is a real plus, because its small size means the staff can give you a real personal service. Its not really suitable for young singles who want to go out clubbing and drinking, but as a place to take your other half to be absolutely spoilt its perfect. And if you need a good place to propose, Petrin hill (15 mins walk) takes some beating, especially at this time of year when it is covered in snow.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Celebrated my 40th birthday here always wanted to visit Prague but never got round to it, well it was worth the wait... its like being in a fairy tale back in time the architecture is amazing. I read all the reviews about the hotel before booking and they even lived beyond the comments made by numerous satisfied guests. I don't want to go into great detail as it will spoil all the little suprises and attention to detail that all the friendly staff devote to you during your stay.
I think the lovely touches like the 5pm meeting in room 11 is great so you can meet up with guests to get advise and exchange stories etc..
I did want a massage for myself and my wife at the same time but this was not possible however I sourced a Thai massage just up the main street towards the castle on the left hand side, went twice it was that good, very basic but excellent massage.
Cannot really praise anyone in particular in the hotel as all were very attentive to very need, I even had a tummy upset one day and they brought mint tea to my room within minutes if knowing and showed great concern, luckily soon passed and was on my feet in no time.
The restaurant breakfast and evening meals and service were excepsional. Having the pick up drop off service is a must and starts and ends the trip with no stress!
My memories of this short stay will remain with me forever and I will definately go back and have already recommended it to all my friends.
Oh yes just one point do take the comfiest best flat walking shoes/boots all the streets are cobbled or you will regret it!

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 24 November 2008

I was more than embarrassed at the end of my stay at the Golden Well when asked to write down critics about the hotel. I could not find any, so I asked for a pool (could have asked for a helipad). One day later, a message from the director thanked me for my positive review and assured me that there was no place for a pool at the Golden Well, but massages could be provided at the sister hotel.
I have never been treated that well in a hotel, from the personal informative tour at the check-in, to the wonderful breakfast with an unbelievable view on Prague and the little attentions during our stay. Since I am French, I was given a review of French news on the morning. Coffee, tea, fresh fruits are available at all time, along with DVDs and newspapers. I have no idea who is running this hotel but he should run something much bigger, like a country! And I would be a devoted citizen!

If you have no time to read the text above: BEST HOTEL EVER. And I'm French, so I'm picky.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business