“Really outstanding service!”

Ranked #4 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Salisbury, UK
“Really outstanding service!”
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I totally agree with everyone else who has reviewed this hotel. It really is AMAZING! We loved the location, tucked away up a little cobbled alleyway with a serene, quiet, laid back atmosphere. From the moment we arrived, we felt special. It was my 40th birthday and also our 10th wedding anniversary so we'd hoped to have a wonderful experience and we got it! Nothing was too much trouble for Ayman, who was genuinely dedicated to ensuring that we had a lovely stay. It's so rare to find that level of customer service and we greatly appreciated it (particularly the champagne, strawberries and cake that arrived in our room on my birthday - complimentary from the hotel!)

As for Prague - wow, what a place. It oozes history and culture, particularly music (the state opera house is the best venue I have ever experienced for opera - acoustics, atmosphere, high quality singing... fantastic). And if you like a good story and a really personal sense of history, then you must visit the Lobkovitz Palace Museum (part of the castle complex). It contains the collections of a family whose ancestors can be traced back to the 15th century. These were taken from them by the Nazis and then the Communists and only restored to them in 1989. I found it really moving - particularly to gaze on Mozart's and Beethoven's original scores which are part of the collection. How amazing for the current family to be part of this amazing historical heritage!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Manchester
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I'm not going to repeat all the excellent comments made by others - this is a wonderful hotel - Ayman deserves a medal! The service is amazing - we were not flying out till nearly midnight and asked if we could possibly return to our room after the day's activities. We were given the use of a smaller room until our taxi came - and I do mean given - it was free. We did have two minor grumbles. We found the room far too hot and despite the heroic efforts of the staff we could never get it quite right. And they are still playing Frank all over the building including the corridors - rather intrusive but some people like it, I guess. When we mentioned these issues to Ayman my wife was promptly given a box of chocolates. I will not go into what Ayman offered to get me but I was tempted!
I note a couple of reviewers were unimpressed by the David restaurant. We had an excellent Czech lunch there on our last day.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MeridianManchester
Surrey,UK
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I wish I could write something different about this hotel to the rest of the reviewers here just to make you sit up and take notice but I can't. What everyone says is true - it is a uniquely lovely hotel. I think the key to its charm is the impeccable quality of the service. Every single member of staff we met was kind and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are very attractive (the photos do not do them justice), and they are clean and genuinely comfortable. The bed and the pillows are heaven. I thought the Ipod would be superflous but the music was so varied and brilliant it made me want to buy the same set up for my own house! We had a lovely view over the city which was magical both by day and by night - an extra cost but worth it as Prague is so beautiful. We both really enjoyed the 'Royal' cooked breakfast each morning which would set us up for the day and there was also a good and varied selection in the cold buffet - cold meats, smoked salmon, cheeses, cereals, patisserie, fruit etc The finger foods served late afternoon/early evening in the lounge are a great idea - after a hard day's walking around the city they are a welcome pick me up. On the room rate we booked these were also served in our room which was a nice touch.
The restaurant has a romantic air with panoramic views over the city and we personally thought the food was excellent. There was a lot of attention to detail both in presentation of the food and the service. My husband tried the tasting menu which he thoroughly recommended.
Tearing ourselves away from the comforting cocoon of the hotel was tough - we had to brave the bitter February cold outside - alternately bright sunshine, sleet and then snow but wow it was worth it. Prague is literally steeped in history - a visit to the castle makes you realise how varied its past is. An absolute must but allow enough time. Walking is a major feature of a visit to Prague. Everywhere is so accessible on foot that you don't notice the ground you are covering. The Jewish Quarter is another essential visit. Thereafter anything else you have time to fit in - try and see everything you can - nothing will disappoint. We went to see Madame Butterfly at the State Opera (the hotel booked it for us and made sure we got the seats we wanted) and I would just like to point out that its restaurant just behind the Opera House was really excellent - great food and great service which was a lovely end to the evening. Prague has some fantastic restaurants - we weren't there long enough to try many but be went to the Kampapark which despite some of the negative reviews I have read we thought was very good. The location is also perfect being just on the river.
To sum up we found the Golden Well a perfect base from which to explore. Warm, welcoming, stylish, good food and place you looked forward to returning to at the end of each day. Fantastic - we would love to go back.

2 Thank Amancojojaja
Liverpool
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Me and the wife returned to U Zlate Studne as a special Xmas present to each other. We where here in June when we had our wedding reception at the restaurant and stayed in the Rudolf Suite,well there was no way i could afford that room again,but no worries as room 12 was just as beautiful. The hotel and staff where just as we both remembered truly unbelievable,we both adore this place,and although you've got Prague outside to be explored(5th visit,cant wait till 6th),you never really want to leave the hotel,i had to drag my wife out(only joking)
A new feature of the hotel was the 17.00 finger food and drinks in the lounge,what a real classy touch,again could of just stayed in there and chilled,never tried tuna tartare before,beautiful,i think id eat anything the chef here makes(but thats a different review)
The hotel is really magical to the both of us due to our wedding there last summer,and there was a feeling "will it be as good",and it was 100%,just like to thank all the staff for another unforgettable stay,at which must be one of the finest hotels in the world,thanks and see you soon in the summer.

Surrey
Reviewed 28 February 2009

We've recently returned from a long weekend in Prague at the Golden Well Hotel and it certainly lived up to expectations... indeed it exceeded them! We can easily see why the hotel has won the Trip Advisor award!

The staff are all lovely; so very friendly and helpful. They make such an effort to ensure you enjoy your stay in Prague and their attention to detail is fantastic. It really does have a very comforting atmosphere.

Our room was lovely and exceptionally clean - the pre-loaded i-pod on the bedside table is a lovely touch. The bathroom didn't have separate shower but the jacuzzi bath was enormous and had a hand-held shower which was absolutely fine. The breakfast buffet was delicious but the cooked breakfasts are a real treat - again, the staff are very efficient and friendly.

The hotel itself is in a perfect location; very close to the Castle and Charles Bridge. Basically, it's walking distance from everywhere. There are plenty of lovely restaurants and bars if you explore the little lanes nearby.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to everyone, it's a real find!

1 Thank DandLSurrey
Athens
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I have one word for this hotel : Magical!

Everything was excellent and perfect for our honeymoon. Upon arrival at the airport, a Mercedes picked us up and took us directly to the hotel. There, we had a very warm welcome and were given a room with a magical view of the city!

Room + Room Service
The room was spacious with all comforts & jacuzzi plus heated floor in the bathroom. As honeymooners, a yogurt cake + amuse bouche + fruits were waiting for us in the room to enjoy. At 20:00 the maid knocked our door and told us she was there for turndown service. Not knowing what it was, we left her do her job. She put towels on the floor in each side of the bed accompanied by new slippers. She made the bed to be ready for sleeping, put 1 bottle of water on each bedside table and prepared the bathroom for us. Lastly she left a paper on the bed with the weather forecast for the next day. We were astonished by the quality of the service and we had a very nice sleep. The next morning and for the rest of the days we stayed there, a copy of a newspaper was waiting outside our door.

Location
The hotel is situated near the new parliament, which means that there are policemen everywhere (this is a good thing if you want to stay out late). It is also a 5 minute walk from Charles Bridge and a 8 minute walk from the nearest Metro Station. I believe that the location of the hotel is very strategically placed, as it is near all major sightseeing parts of prague. We only had to take the Metro twice (once for the National Museum and one more for Visehrad). I recommend if you are up to it, to walk your way in the city. We averaged 8 hours of walking per day, but I believe there were all worth it.

Restaurant
The restaurant was at the top floor and had a beautiful panoramic view of the whole city. The breakfast was somewhat poor comparing to the rest of the amenities. I am not saying that it had a poor breakfast. On the contrary it had it all and you could also order extra breakfast. But since I am Greek, I need quantity in my breakfast not quality.
The same goes for the 7 course degustation menu that we had. I know that they have an award winning chef, but I don't like eating raw food (this is a personal opinion, some of you may like tartar dishes or meat with blood in it).

Everyone, from the manager to the bell boy, where very kind, very helpful and with a smile on their faces. All I can say about the service is this : Excellent!

Extras
Everyday from 17:00 till 19:00 in the main iving room of the hotel, they would bring fingerfood and wine, which was on the house. We gathered there 2 or 3 times during our stay and we had a lovely chat with the rest of the guests.

As a conclusion I would have to say that this hotel was well worth the money. I would definately recommend it to a friend or any other for that matter. The only side effect of the hotel is, that smoking is prohibited through out the premises except for one place which is in a hall way under the restaurant.

warwickshire, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My husband and I have just come back from spending Valentines Day weekend in this wonderful hotel in Prague. I had read all the reviews and so was optimistic but the reality exceeded my expectations. We simply could not fault their service, nothing was too much trouble. Concert tickets, restaurant recommendations (we went to restaurant David on their advice and it was excellent) etc.

One really nice touch was the finger food/buffet and drinks served at 5pm in a really cosy lounge. All too easy to stay and eat and drink too much! We had a superb meal on Valentine's day itself in the hotel, the food and service were great. Only one niggle the cost of the wine and glasses of champagne were out of proportion to the cost of the meal. But this did not spoil our enjoyment of a very romantic evening.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, and I have already done so!

1 Thank jillybeans88