“Excellent”

Ranked #3 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Chincoteague, VA
“Excellent”
Reviewed 20 March 2009

As noted by many others, this is an excellent hotel. When we arrived, Barbara (hope I've spelled her name correctly - a wonderful lady) showed us around and invited us to drinks in the hotel restaurant (great view of the city through a wall of windows up there) and provided us with a map and suggestions for enjoying Prague while our bags were transported up to our room. The room (#33) was a real treat - also with a great view of the city - large, beautifully furnished, very comfortable and exceptionally clean with a heated bathroom floor and Jacuzzi bath available - and the only modern wide-screen TV we came across on our travels through the Czech Republic (I like to keep up with the news). Also each morning a multipage printout of the news from a major US newspaper along with a card noting the day's expected weather were delivered to the room.

Since I reserved months in advance, we had to make a couple of changes in our reservation (decided not to bring the rental car into Prague and use hotel parking, and my wife was able to accompany my son and me after all), and these were accomplished immediately via email by the exceptionally helpful staff.

It's seldom that I have any special requests at a hotel, and when I asked Ayman to cancel a restaurant reservation elsewhere in town since I couldn't get through to the restaurant myself, he took care of it immediately and cheerfully (all of the staff were a pleasure to deal with). Also we decided on the convenience of the hotel car for our trip to the airport at the end of our stay; the Mercedes was waiting for us on time and got us there quickly.

This is a hotel I will certainly return to. Reserve early through their own web site, and you'll get a early-booking discount, the best choice of a room, and also a choice of a special treat for your arrival in the room - we chose a bottle of wine (excellent) and cheese. Barbara and Ayman speak a number of languages each, and this is clearly a hotel that recognizes the importance of finding and retaining an excellent, dedicated staff. I'll end this review with one word: Wow!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Moscow
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We decided to celebrate our wedding in Prague so the requirements and the expectations were the most high. We chose the hotel beforehand and from the very first contacts with the hotel staff we understood that made the right choice.

The attention paid to all our demands and wishes could tell us a lot even before we saw the hotel itself. As we are not the EU-citizens we needed the prepayment of our stay confirmed both by e-mail and by post and in order to have a permission to get married in Prague we needed the hotel to inform local authorities about the fact of our stay. Everithing was done in due time and with great respect to all these requests.

Upon the arrival we found a very warm welcome. We were offered some drinks and snacks on the veranda with astonishing view while Tomas was informing us on the hotel details and Prague attractions. It was a very pleasant aquaintance - he wasn't formal and was very open, friendly and patient. The future bride was offered a bunch of flowers and after a short tour around the hotel we were accompanied to the Rudolph II Suite wich turned out to be a really luxurious suite furnised with good taste, with fantastic views from the windows, Molton Brown perfumery and jacuzzi! When we entered we were met by classical music and aromatherapy. It also had a great variety of wines in the living-room table-bar.

The breakfast served was just great - especially "The royal breakfast" (or the King's - not sure)) prepared upon the request that we both appreciated much, the cold buffet was also very decent. Every morning we found the latest newspaper list at our door-handle.

It was very pleasant to find a small yougourt cake wich was very fresh and tasty and a card with very warm congratulations for the wedding.

At the very day of the wedding everybody in the hotel were extremely polite and helpful (it was raining outside so we needed umbrellas for all our guests - we were given all the umbrellas required).

The hotel was so fantastically pleasant, cozy, romantic and charming that we didn't want to leave. We got a farewell present, more congratulations and a few days later - very attentive e-mail response to the feedback list that we filled during the stay with gratitudes and the special rate provided for our possible future stay.

Now the minus - probably the only one but it turned out to be important because it influenced our honeymoon as we both got a rheum - the air condition! It lived its own life, we could not adjust it and the only way to switch it off was to call at the reception and to have it turned off centrally.

Anyway we would definitely like to come back to this boutique hotel and to enjoy its high quality service and excellent style.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Just had a wonderful weekend in Prague at one of the nicest city hotels I have ever stayed at. The personal service and attention to detail was flawless. They arranged a romantic evening turn-up service and bottle of sparkling wine for my wife's 40th birthday. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely go back! Only risk is they will put their prices up to reflect the quality so keep it quiet...

London
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Golden Well is a fantastic hotel & we loved every minute of our stay. The location is ideal as it is right below the palace & in easy walking distance of all the tourist attractions & sights. The hotel is small & intimate & is perfect for a romantic weekend break. The rooms are very well equipped & the service first class. The staff couldn't have been more friendly & helpful. Golden Well definitely deserves the accolades bestowed upon it.

Salisbury, UK
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I totally agree with everyone else who has reviewed this hotel. It really is AMAZING! We loved the location, tucked away up a little cobbled alleyway with a serene, quiet, laid back atmosphere. From the moment we arrived, we felt special. It was my 40th birthday and also our 10th wedding anniversary so we'd hoped to have a wonderful experience and we got it! Nothing was too much trouble for Ayman, who was genuinely dedicated to ensuring that we had a lovely stay. It's so rare to find that level of customer service and we greatly appreciated it (particularly the champagne, strawberries and cake that arrived in our room on my birthday - complimentary from the hotel!)

As for Prague - wow, what a place. It oozes history and culture, particularly music (the state opera house is the best venue I have ever experienced for opera - acoustics, atmosphere, high quality singing... fantastic). And if you like a good story and a really personal sense of history, then you must visit the Lobkovitz Palace Museum (part of the castle complex). It contains the collections of a family whose ancestors can be traced back to the 15th century. These were taken from them by the Nazis and then the Communists and only restored to them in 1989. I found it really moving - particularly to gaze on Mozart's and Beethoven's original scores which are part of the collection. How amazing for the current family to be part of this amazing historical heritage!

Manchester
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I'm not going to repeat all the excellent comments made by others - this is a wonderful hotel - Ayman deserves a medal! The service is amazing - we were not flying out till nearly midnight and asked if we could possibly return to our room after the day's activities. We were given the use of a smaller room until our taxi came - and I do mean given - it was free. We did have two minor grumbles. We found the room far too hot and despite the heroic efforts of the staff we could never get it quite right. And they are still playing Frank all over the building including the corridors - rather intrusive but some people like it, I guess. When we mentioned these issues to Ayman my wife was promptly given a box of chocolates. I will not go into what Ayman offered to get me but I was tempted!
I note a couple of reviewers were unimpressed by the David restaurant. We had an excellent Czech lunch there on our last day.

1 Thank MeridianManchester
Surrey,UK
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I wish I could write something different about this hotel to the rest of the reviewers here just to make you sit up and take notice but I can't. What everyone says is true - it is a uniquely lovely hotel. I think the key to its charm is the impeccable quality of the service. Every single member of staff we met was kind and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are very attractive (the photos do not do them justice), and they are clean and genuinely comfortable. The bed and the pillows are heaven. I thought the Ipod would be superflous but the music was so varied and brilliant it made me want to buy the same set up for my own house! We had a lovely view over the city which was magical both by day and by night - an extra cost but worth it as Prague is so beautiful. We both really enjoyed the 'Royal' cooked breakfast each morning which would set us up for the day and there was also a good and varied selection in the cold buffet - cold meats, smoked salmon, cheeses, cereals, patisserie, fruit etc The finger foods served late afternoon/early evening in the lounge are a great idea - after a hard day's walking around the city they are a welcome pick me up. On the room rate we booked these were also served in our room which was a nice touch.
The restaurant has a romantic air with panoramic views over the city and we personally thought the food was excellent. There was a lot of attention to detail both in presentation of the food and the service. My husband tried the tasting menu which he thoroughly recommended.
Tearing ourselves away from the comforting cocoon of the hotel was tough - we had to brave the bitter February cold outside - alternately bright sunshine, sleet and then snow but wow it was worth it. Prague is literally steeped in history - a visit to the castle makes you realise how varied its past is. An absolute must but allow enough time. Walking is a major feature of a visit to Prague. Everywhere is so accessible on foot that you don't notice the ground you are covering. The Jewish Quarter is another essential visit. Thereafter anything else you have time to fit in - try and see everything you can - nothing will disappoint. We went to see Madame Butterfly at the State Opera (the hotel booked it for us and made sure we got the seats we wanted) and I would just like to point out that its restaurant just behind the Opera House was really excellent - great food and great service which was a lovely end to the evening. Prague has some fantastic restaurants - we weren't there long enough to try many but be went to the Kampapark which despite some of the negative reviews I have read we thought was very good. The location is also perfect being just on the river.
To sum up we found the Golden Well a perfect base from which to explore. Warm, welcoming, stylish, good food and place you looked forward to returning to at the end of each day. Fantastic - we would love to go back.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple