Botel Admiral
Golden Well Hotel(Prague)
US$863
US$476
  • Restaurant
Hotel Hastal Prague Old Town(Prague)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$159
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooms are smallfloating hotelwalk along the riverstorage spacepublic areasplace to stayold townboiled eggscharles bridgeincluded breakfastwalking distancegood sizecabinreceptioncitycurtainstram
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2007

You don't get the benefit of being on a boat, and you have to pay for it with a cramped cabin room in need of refurbishment and ill-equipped. No deck to walk around and enjoy the river -- just back to the cramped room with the filthy windows due to difficulty in cleaning them, and with no view to speak of. (Note: the pictures with Prague castle are not taken from the boat as they include the boat in the picture.)

Judging by the breakfast, the restaurant is lousy as well as expensive. If you want to feel like you are actually on a boat apart from breakfast then you will have to pay for the overpriced lousy food up there.

I like water, but i wish we had gone to a normal hotel with a decent room and ideally a river view, rather than this hostel-like cabin room with inflated prices.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Joey111
Reviewed 10 May 2007

Tony, who works at the front desk picked us up from the airport. He answered the numerous questions we had and was a delight.

I was a bit surprised at the look of the hotel when we arrived. It appeared to be more "ship shape" on the internet. The rooms were as described, but again the lighting in the photos helped make it look more appealing. My party and I had lunch at the outdoor cafe on the back of the boat and discussed our options. We decided to make accomodations elsewhere.

Once we came back to botel from our new hotel, were we ever glad we did that. Two busloads of teenagers from Norway were checking in. We made the quickest escape possible.

If you are looking for a place to hang your hat and rest your head, the Botel could be for you. It is located three or four bridges down from Charles Bridge and the tram was only a few blocks, but the area appeared a bit seedy between the Botel and the tram.

BA does not have air conditioning either.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank walk2488
Reviewed 4 November 2005

We ended up in Prague because I was doing a search on European botels (floating hotels). We had a weeks stay on the Admiral Botel and we got a pretty good deal from the Prag-cityguide, which is a German site, but all of our negotiations were conducted in English - by fax, email, and telephone.

Our stay had some good things and some bad. First, it's been stated enough that the rooms are small. It's true, but they are boat cabins, and since my husband and I used to live on our boat, it was nostalgic for us. The plus is that there is more storage space (i.e. mounted shelves and cabinets) in that small room than you would find in any average hotel room on land.
Th bathroom has a basic shower, basin and toilet. There is absolutely no problem for good hot water and the water pressure can be as strong as you like.
I found the bed very uncomfortable.

The botel Admiral is not a floating hotel. It is a hotel built in the water; on the river bed. That means that when there was walking around in the restaurant above or the guests in the next room (the walls were not very thick, I should say) you can hear hear and feel the vibration of their steps coming through the hard bed. The box spring on the bed was more 'box' than 'spring',and the top matress had to be no more than 4 centimeters (approx. 1 1/2 inches) thick.(No exageration here!)

We asked the receptionist for an extra mattress and the request was denied. They weren't even able to come up with an extra quilt to put under my mattress. In all fairness, it could have been my lack of preparedness in looking up key words in my Czech phrase book (the staff all speak fairly good English in general subject, but perhaps didn't understand what I really wanted.) or it could have been that I was expected to tip before getting a favor done as opposed to 'after the fact' - which is what I was planning on doing anyway.In any case, I ended up folding the extra blankets stored in our closet under my mattress which had a very minimal effect.

The good side is that we absolutely loved the restaurant on the top floor. Even if we never return to lodge in the hotel, we will definitely have a nice romantic dinner in the restaurant on our next visit to Prague. The menu is very varied and international (you can read it on their website) and the prices are modest which is a good deal in such a beautifully decorated restaurant with a breathtaking view of the Moldau river and the sights on the opposite bank.

However...another downside is the location. I am very conscientious about travel safety and the road in front of the hotel at night is only moderately lit, and very deserted. Even walking back at 10 p.m. from the tram stops which are 1 1/2 blocks away were nerve-rattling for me. It was not easy finding taxis that wouldn't rip us off, but by the third night we would just haggle with one taxi after another about price until we found one to take us and deliver us safely at the door without trying to become a fast millionaire.

Having said all that, I never saw any strange wandering around by anyone (except maybe a lone prostitute) or any dodgy activity going on on that dim, deserted street in front of the boat, but I try to avoid situations that could set me up for anything that could ruin my holiday. (It just takes one person!)

However, the staff seem to have their heart in the right place, and on the morning we had to leave, one of the receptionists finishing his shift took us to the airport. Of course we paid him a fair taxi fee (which saved us the bother of haggling with a dishonest taxi driver.), but the plus was that we got to enjoy a nice conversation and very comfortable ride with such a lovely person.

11  Thank ZANDVELD
Reviewed 27 July 2005

The Botel Admiral was very clean and quiet, and the staff (especially Tony) were very friendly. The hotel is a purpose-built hotel on the water, not a re-fitted old boat. It is a solid 15-minute walk to the Old Town center and the Prague Castle district, but we didn't consider that a drawback. The rooms are (as usual in much of Europe) smallish, but extremely clean and neat. The restaurant serves a much better complimentary breakfast than any place in England, and the dinner menu is quite good. We'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2005
9  Thank zendurango
Reviewed 22 July 2005

If, you want:
-unique accomodations (the hotel is a boat on the river-thus the name "botel", one can assume)
-one of the best patio experiences ever (it's on the top deck, has a retractable roof, breezes wafting across the water, really comfortable chairs....a great place to sit back and savour one of the famous Czech beers. You'll be tempted to forego sightseeing and spend your holiday relaxing on the deck.)
-lots of polished wood and brass fittings
-great service. They really go above and beyond. The front desk even arranged a fixed rate for our transportation back to the airport so we wouldn't get overcharged.
-luxury and affordability
-close access to public transportation
-a really good breakfast to start your day

Ask for a room on the side facing the river. This was by far our favourite accomodation on a rather extensive trip. Will definitely be returning. Loved Prague. Loved the Botel.

14  Thank draganov