“value for money”

Ranked #581 of 672 Hotels in Prague
London
“value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

After having arrived 6 hours later than planned due to adverse weather conditions, I was still able to eat in the restaurant which is open from 11am to midnight as was the bar. Good choices of traditional Czech food on the menu, well presented and service was very efficient. If you want burgers or typical English food then you won't find them on the menu. But be adventurous try something new, you ARE in a foreign country, beef or pork are still the same the world over.
Having been on other boats/cruise ships, the cabin was much bigger than expected, very comfortable, warm, with lots of storage space, TV and separate bathroom with shower. What more could I want? Except a kettle for making tea as I am a tea addict. But I soon got over that as every evening I would take my thermos flask to the bar where it was filled with tea so that I could take it back to my cabin.
The staff were always very friendly and their English was excellent which didn't stop me trying to use the very few words of Czech I had learned like "please", "thank you", good morning" ...
I found out a lot of information from them in particular about what to see, using the trams for which you can buy tickets from reception. There is a tram stop a short walk from the boat, the service is very frequent and the no17 will take you into the Old Town which is an excellent starting point to get to know Prague. Don't forget to buy a return ticket for later in the day! On my first day I forgot the return journey and it was a long walk back from the Castle but in the snow and walking by the river I was able to take a lot of night shots and some of them turned out really well.
Would I stay here again, a resounding YES.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

4 Thank Footloose101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

Went with friends for a 3 night city break. Rooms are small, clean,and practical. If you go on holiday and spend all your time at the hotel this is not the place for you, but if you want a good cheap comfortable base for your visit to prague then it is perfect. We bought 72 hour public transport passes for about £12 and used them to the max.
We found the staff to be friendly and attentive throughout our stay. We could not fit all the sights of prague into a three day trip and if IWe go back we would definately return to the Botel Racek

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank martinjulie
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

About an hours walk from the main touristy bits if Prague (charles bridge, old town square ext) but a pretty quick tram if you want, would be a pretty decent location if it wasn't for the fact that intermittently the river stinks, like practically retching stinks. Luckily you only notice this on the walk to and from the hotel, and in the "bathroom".

Rooms are tiny, bathroom Is tiny. A twin room consists of 1 double bed, which was actually pretty comfy. The heating comes on automatically in the night, with no way of switching it off which means you have to open the window and be greeted by all the wonderful city noises.

Service is poor at best but from what I read up about Prague hospitality its what I expected. We decided to eat dinner on the first night in the hotel, I ordered a chicken based meal, and the chicken was pink through and through. When we went to pay our bill there staff were sleeping/napping in the bar area on the sofas, and one was asleep there in the morning when we came down for breakfast.

Breakfast is barely continental, its cereal, bread, cheese and meats.

The people on the main desk are exceptionally moody.

And there were barely any other guests at the hotel

If you are the treat this as a b n b then its ideal really, as a hotel its pathetic.

Luckily when we travelled we literally used it for breakfast and sleeping so it didn't really affect out trip to much.

If your after cheap and cheerful go for it.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank bow-peep

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Helsinki
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

I was traveling with a friend to Prague and other sites in Czech Republic. We booked the hotel because of low price and alleged location near the city center. Well, the price was indeed low, but certainly not good value. Well, it was about 15 min tram ride to the center.

The room that we stayed in was small and had no air conditioning at all. All the time the air was thick with humidity and we could feel our clothes getting slightly wet just keeping them in the room. There were no proper curtains to prevent the morning sun from boiling us alive, waking us up at 7 am every morning we stayed in the hotel. It was like staying in a tiny greenhouse with no plants.

All the noises from the hallway and other rooms can be heard loud and clear in to the room we stayed in.

The breakfast was a joke. If you want to start your day with lousy coffee and dirty tableware listening loud disco music in a hotel "restaurant", then head to Botel Racek for a great start for a day.

We asked the hotel staff, whom mostly were not even polite let alone helpful, if we could get proper curtains. They said no, because it would cost money. The shower and toilet facilities were tiny, poor and the faucet was malfunctioning and spaying the water all over the place. There were no hand towels in the room.

Only thing that saved us from completely destroying our holiday was the time we spent at other locations in Czech Republic. After four nights with same problems and flu like symptoms we both caught during our stay in Botel, we decided to leave, and found ourselves a better place nearer the city center and at almost the same price.

I wonder how the Botel Racek has guts to call themselves a 3 star accommodation. On the other hand I do not wonder at all why the hotel reception guy took the payment right at the moment we checked in. I won`t make same mistake again. I know that standards differ between the countries, but for what it`s worth, we are in EU! In my country you this kind of place would be immediately closed.

So, there are other, much better places to stay all around Prague with reasonable price, and I don´t mean anything luxyry. Just human friendly environment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank KardeHelsinki
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

There are no double rooms - meanwhile we booked it! The room is small, with old furniture. The bathroom is a joke! If you go to tha bar, they' ll ignore you. The breakfast is disgusting! So, it's not a good choice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelAgent24
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

I really recommend this hotel for anyone visiting prague. Prices r very good. very nice view. 10 minutes with tram and u r in the center

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank dodomoriss
Polkowice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

I recommend Botel Racek. Rooms were very clean, there was enough place inside for basic needs. Staff was very helpful and friendly.
Going by foot to the Karlov Most takes about 30 minutes along the river and it's very nice walk. There are also trams very near to the Botel and it takes about 10 minutes by tram.
Staying on the Botel Racek is cheaper than in the City Centre. Prices are low, but quality of this place is enough and I plan to back there next time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends