“Great Hotel near Old Town Square”
Review of Metamorphis

Metamorphis
Ranked #190 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Bend, Oregon
“Great Hotel near Old Town Square”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at the Metamorphis last week. It is located on the Ungelt Courtyard about a three-minute walk from the Old Town Square. The staff was quite friendly and arranged for a ride to and from the airport for me (one way was free since I stayed for four nights!). I reserved the room online and got a very good rate.

The room was great and overlooked the Ungelt Courtyard. It did get a little noisy one of the nights, due to the proximity to a couple of pubs. I wasn't too bothered by it, though. Breakfast was provided in a cool gothic cellar in the restaurant below (Vabene).

I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Prague.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Loved our room here in March 2011! Have a great view down into a little courtyard. Plenty if great places to eat around it. The staff were incredibly helpful in addition to internet and wifi!
The room was neat and clean. Plenty of space to spread out and we felt very safe!

• Stayed March 2013
Hedehusene
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We spent last weekend 14 to 18 February at Hotel Metamorphis in Prague. It was perfect from the moment we got out of the airport till we left. And even before that, because we had been emailing with the hotel (Stepan and Maria) and already at that time the service was excellent. We had a complementary shuttle from the airport. A nice guy met us in the airport and he immediately took our luggage. When we arrived at the hotel he carried our luggage to the reception where we were warmly welcomed by the receptionist. Another nice guy carried our luggage to our suites. The suite was huge, nice and clean and with the most beautiful view (both during the day and at night with lights on) to the Tyn Church. The reception was very helpful and organized a lunch boat trip and beer spa for us and they made restaurant reservations (thank you very much Stepan and your colleague who wanted to go the Roskilde Festival :-)). We had an early morning flight back home, so the very kind girl at the reception (studying to be an economist) asked if we wanted to get a bag with breakfast we could bring to the airport. At 4:30 in the morning we had breakfast bags (two large sandwiches, juice, cake and fresh fruit) and the same guy who fetched us in the airport came to take us to the airport again (750 CK). We want to say thank you so much to the whole team, which we have been in contact with during our visit to Prague. You certainly eased much for us and your hotel is in such a nice location close to everything. I have already recommended you to a colleague who wants to go to Prague! Value for Money? YES (EUR 82 per night for a suite).

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 21 and 31. 21 has a kitchen, which 31 doesn't. There was more nice furniture...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HanneChristine
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Great hotel in great location. The welcoming and service in the hotel was amazing. Breakfast choices were very rich. Very much enjoyed our stay. When we will be coming back to Prague, we will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Our first trip to Prague and so we picked Metamorphis because of its position. That could not be faulted. We could walk almost everywhere from the hotel and were only 50 metres or so from the Old Town Square with all it's bars and restaurants and historic buildings. We were actually located in the adjoining building to the main hotel building, so it was more like an apartment. But beds were very comfortable, it was quiet and more importantly warm! The only thing that we found less than ideal was the low shower over the bath with no shower screen or curtain. This needs to be addressed. The option is, therefore, covering the bathroom with water or sitting in the bath whilst showering. I would say that for older guests or those with a little impaired mobility this could be dangerous. If that is you, I suggest you check what is in your room before booking. Otherwise all good and as we found in most of Prague, English is widely spoken.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

By combining my experience over 6 nights at this hotel with reading other reviews it seems like your experience at Metamorphis will be a crap shoot depending on which room you are given. Our king suite certainly was nothing like their website pictures suggest, having worn, terribly stained carpets, and a simple bathroom without even a shower curtain for the tub. The room was large but with terrible sound insulation with noise from adjoining rooms loud enough to continuously wake us from our sleep every single night. Also it didn't help that hotel staff rattled dumpsters across the courtyard in the middle of the night and then dumped them with loud crashes directly under our window.
What this hotel does have is a perfect location, you cannot get closer to the historical district of
Prague than this hotel. Literally you walk across the courtyard to the old town square and the astronomical clock. We walked everywhere we needed to go in Prague from the hotel and it is easyto orientate and find your way back home as you just head for the church steeple right beside
the hotel.
I would not stay at this hotel again having expected much more from the building given the premium price we paid. There are many hotels in this district and it appears that some of them would be a better choice. I do not know how star ratings are awarded but Metamorphis hotel is comparable to cheap two star hotels in western countries. Be aware that there are 2 different properties under basically the same name with 'Metamorphis Excellent Hotel' right across the street. Maybe the nice website pictures are from that hotel as they did not represent the king suite we were given.

Room Tip: Specify when reserving that you want the Hotel Metamorphis Excellent.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank philip c
Easton, Maryland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I enjoyed a 5 night stay here late October. When I checked in I just assumed my room would be upstairs, somewhere above reception, however, there is another part of the hotel across a walkway while attached to the reception building, must be entered through a separate door. The entire building is divided on ground level by a breezeway that splits the building in two. The part of the hotel where I stayed is on the same side as the restaurant. This did not bother me in the least I was only confused at first as I didn't realize and wondered where I was being led upon arrival.

So, I had a top floor room which overlooked a small sea of red tiled roofs. In the morning I opened the windows to listen to the church bells. On Sunday it was especially beautiful. My room was unique in that it had fabulous original wood beams, two of which had to be navigated around as they ran floor to ceiling in the room. I loved it! There were beams in the bathroom, too and beautiful tile and a fabulous shower! I loved the decor, especially the glass light fixtures. My room was quiet but I did hear from other guests who had either alley or street facing windows that they experienced noise, sometimes late at night. This was not an issue for me.

There is no lift to the top floor, the last two flights must be made on foot. Again, this did not bother me in the least. My only issue with the hotel was the erratic housekeeping. Twice I came back to only two towels. Everything else, including the bathmat, was removed. Otherwise, I had an abundance of everything I needed and the staff here could not be more kind, friendly and helpful.

I had dinner my first night at the restaurant and intended to go back as I enjoyed very much the food and service but never made it back.

On top of everything else, I loved the location. Would stay here again!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo