“Layover in Prague”

Ranked #584 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Park City, Utah
“Layover in Prague”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Having traveled the world for over 37 years as a B747 Airline Pilot I will say this. I found this hotel to meet all expectations I hoped for in a short layover between my flights en-route to Kyiv for 1 day. I was on holiday going to visit a friend. The hotel room was quite large, very comfortable, and had all amenities I look for in a hotel of this caliber. The staff was very friendly, quite helpful in arranging my airport pickup, and airport drop off at a very reasonable price. The small bar offered great service, and the breakfast was very nice. The tram was just a short walk less than 5 minutes, however I did not use. Next time through Prague I will again book Hotel Fortuna West. There is a good restaurant just across the tracks I had dinner at and was very satisfied. I give the overall experience 4 stars.

Room Tip: I selected a double room with a large bed. Noise was never a factor for this hotel as far as I can t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Petr C, Manager at Fortuna West, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,
I am very pleased to read your positive review from your stay with us at Hotel Fortuna West. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and recommend our Hotel.
We were delighted to read that you have been overall impressed with the quality of our hotel and service. Your comments will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the good standards which you have experienced during your stay with us.
I am happy that you would like to return to Prague on your next holiday.
We certainly look very much forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Regards,
Petr Chmelar - hotel manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 26 November 2013

It was near the train station. Location is not bad. Breakfast was fine. But the rooms werenot that good. There wasn't a hair dryer in the bathroom which made me astonihed! My room door was broken and it was continuously making noise all the night. Because the waindo was broken too.So we had a sound of wind in our room all the night. I guess they might repair, rennovate theri bathrooms, doors and windows immediately.
If you're planning to stay in this hotel in winter forget it! This was the fault of our tour agency we should have disgust about the hotels we were going to stay befor our reservation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We have been to this hotel for three nights and did not like it at all. Reason?
•30 min away from centre by tram
•Crowded with tourist groups, in breakfast it is nearly impossible to find a table
•There is only two elevators so you wait for minimum 1, mostly 2-3 minutes to use them. When the groups leave, you may catch them easier!
•Not all rooms are non-smoking. If you are given smoking room you really smell the "smoke".
•No hair dryer in room (you may ask for it from the reception).
•Doors are noise conductive.
•We didn't feel like the cleaning is made with care. But maybe other guests may not complain for this

I would recommend to select an hotel closer to center if you are going to prague as a tourist.

But if you insist on this one, ask for a non-smoking room at floor 1 ( so you may not need to use elevator)

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AltayE

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Me and my friends (group of 5 girls) stayed in this hotel 3rd October - 6th October 2013. I can honestly say for the actual price we payed to stay here we can't really grumble, however I wouldn't class this as a 3 star hotel compared to what you can get for the same star rating in England. I would class this as a 2 star really - but again for how little we paid, I can't really complain. The reception staff were really friendly and spoke great English and were a good help. I've heard complaints about the other memebers of staff in the hotel but we didn't experiance anything bad with them, apart from a man in the office on our floor telling us to be quiet when we came in... we probably were talking a bit too loudly but I guess it is good that he is there to keep the noise down for other hotel users.

The breakfast was average, even though it was continental, there wasn't a lot of choice of food that we particularly recognised apart from cereals, bread rolls, cheese and ham, but it did the job. Ok some of the food didnt look too appealing to us but we just avoided that.

The rooms were not that nice to be quiet honest, ours absolutely stunk of fags even though it was a non smoking room, and it just felt like the carpet needed a deep clean (or replacing), the bathroom was clean and the shower worked perfectly. It had the standard amenities that we required and it was only a place to put our head.

The number 9 tram took us into town and this stop was literally a 4 minute walk from the hotel (the receptionist guided us where to go and what stop to get off at), to go into the city centre took about 25 minutes. BE CAREFUL if you ever get a taxi back, espeically at night though as we were royally ripped off as the taxi driver advised he didn't know where the hotel was. Just make sure you take a copy of the hotel's address.

All in all I can say I did enjoy my stay in Prague and on the budget we had this was a decent place, but next time I would spend a bit more for a bit more luxury but it really depends what you are looking for out of a holiday and place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharna90
Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Reviewed 17 September 2013

this is a very good budget hotel for all. i like to suggest my indian friends you will like this hotel for its peace and neatness. hotel is in self service format but you will love this. the entire prague is small city and well connected with trams and bus. for local travel fom hotel only use trams. it is in budget and quality service. only enjoy breakfast at the hotel not the lunch or dinner. explore other fooding joints. one chinese joint is within 100 meter reach. it is in ok option.

Room Tip: all rooms are good but taking on higher floors can see the natural beauty more
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank drharishankarshyam
Blackburn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Just arrived back on Sunday evening 25 august 2013. Booked with co op travel whom I will never trust again. Travelled with my 75 year old mother. Was told it was 20 minutes from Prague centre, and thats why we booked. Arrived at 11pm. Booking in was easy as there was no one else. Found room spacious and clean. Pictures in the brochure are not the same especially the restaurant. Hotel is in direction of airport were you can hear planes every hour going by. Purchased a 24 hour tram ticket with no map. Tram stop is at least 6 minutes walk but an excellent service. Food not fit for a dog in the restaurant. Does not cater for the English it is of poor quality too, with no toaster. The staff in the restaurant are a total waste of space as they eat food whilst on duty. Brown apples and brown lettuce for breakfast every day. Had no choice to go for tea one evening as my mum is a diabetic and needed something quick to eat. Met by boiled rice and dried up chicken! Not suitable for the English, teenagers or families. Bare in mind this is a 2 star hotel cheap for a good reason you only get what you pay for. Next time I will do my own search and pay that bit more. From Blackburn Lancs

Room Tip: Dont book at this hotel go somewhere nearer town.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jon S
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in August 2013 .

The first thing you notice when you walk into the reception is the smell of stale tobacco smoke the room I had was the same stank of smoke.
The shower in my room was a open wet room which you had to hold the shower head above your head . The doors to the rooms are made of steel all night you can hear them banging shut .There is no air con in rooms .
The hotel is a popular stay for groups of teenagers ,
( very noisy )

Summary
The hotel stank of smoke and was dirty more like a hostel then a hotel.
Rooms are terrible very very basic and old with no air con.

Would I stay here again ?
Not in a million years !!
My advice
pay extra for a better hotel or buy a tent !!!

Stayed August 2013