“After all the hype, dissapointed.”
Review of Hotel Atos

Hotel Atos
Ranked #229 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 30 October 2011

By there nature a review can only be based on your own experience, well I have to say our stay at the Atos Hotel was a experience. I am sure there are many rooms in the hotel that are more than satisfactory and the reviews I have read will back this up, but my advice to anyone staying at this hotel is as follows.
Should you hear the words 701 or 702 when they offer you a room immediately ask if there is another room available. If they say sorry but they are the only rooms you may as well pick a bench in the busiest subway station in Prague and lay your head there, as you will get more sleep there than in these rooms.
When we booked in they said we where in room 702, I had read other reviews that said the room at the top where a bit small so 700 I thought it may be one of these rooms, how mistaken I was.
The rooms 701 and 702 are in the basement, this I found out when the desk said “don't take the lift just walk down the stairs” well as we walked into the room we thought, not bad, as we have a policy that the room is not the thing, as it is a place to rest when we get back from seeing the sites.
So off we went into Prague.
When we returned. Both excited and exhausted from the wonderful city of Prague we decided to turn in and get some rest.
At this point we did not know that directly above the room in the hotel bar and next door to the rooms is the breakfast dining room.
It all starts at about 6:45 am when the cleaner starts to vacuum the bar above your head and the kitchen staff start the set out the breakfast for the rest of the hotel. Then the guests start to drift down for breakfast full of morning vitality. As we are early risers ourself so we thought well join the crowd, breakfast is good so fed and watered we set off again to the city.
Returning again that evening we ate and went to bed only to be woken up at 12:45 am by the revellers returning from the Prague clubs and bars that wanted to carry on the party directly above our head. When we mentioned the noise the next day we where told “did you ring reception and complain”. Well as the reception is in the same room as the hotel bar it was my impression that the person on reception must know how much noise was coming from the bar as they where serving the beer to then.
It is I am sure a very good hotel and is well placed but if you are offered the two rooms be expecting problems.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms 701 or 702 as they are in the basement.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J_G61
Monika H, Manager at Hotel Atos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear guests, we would like to apologise for all compications during your stay in our hotel. Nowadays the reception staff was instructed what to do in such situations that happend to you. If these are noise problems, the best way is to contact the reception immediately. If the guests are not satisfied with the room, there is a possibility to discuss it with the manager and next day they can get another room. If the hotel is not completely full, guests can get another room the same day. We are sorry for all problems you had in our hotel and we will try to improve our service.
Best regards
Jan Sedláček

Reviewed 30 September 2011

We booked through Easyjet and were due to arrive late evening........after reading a previous review about overbooking with Easyjet reservations, I called the hotel prior to our arrival to make sure we would have a room! The lady spoke excellent English and assured me she had our reservation and it wouldn't be a problem - and it wasn't. On arrival we were checked in within minutes and directed to our first floor room. It was small but adequate for our needs. Despite being directly above the main street there was little noise, although we were woken by the trams at around 6.00am each morning. No problem though, we wanted to be up and about to make the most of our days there.

The bathroom was clean and modern, and the shower was powerful with very responsive temperature control. No complaints there at all! Breakfast was average for a European hotel, but you could easily fill up for the day ahead.

Before arriving in Prague we had researched the public transport system and planned to use the trams and metro to get around. But we found there was no need, it's an easy walk to wherever you want to go. We were blessed with good weather though - if you're not so lucky, the trams stop right outside!

The Meduzzy restaurant next door offers a discount to hotel guests, we used it on our first night purely for convenience, but found the food to be good quality, reasonably priced, and the staff very friendly, so we went back for nightcaps a couple of times.

I'd recommend this hotel if you're looking for good value centrally located accommodation, and aren't too bothered about the room size :-)

Room Tip: Quiet despite the location, except for early morning tram noise if on a low floor.
2  Thank Suzanne H
Reviewed 25 September 2011

If you are looking for a central located hotel for Prague, you could do little wrong by choosing this one. Only 5 tram stops from old town and within walking distance of Charles Bridge. The hotel is basic, the reception is quite helpful but English is not widely spoken. The breakfast is continental and help yourself which depedning on what you expect could be a let down, however, you must rememeber that the city does not really cater for us arrogant brits but more for the ever powerful German and the up and coming Russian traveller. All in aal a good base of a hotel but dont expect to over eat. Our room was at the top of the hotel and at the front, this meant it was quite noisey and hot

Room Tip: Top floors at small, any front facing room is noisey
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Ignore the negative reviews. The rooms are fairly basic but very clean and the staff are very friendly. It's in a really good location, we stayed 4 nights & had 3 full days & walked everywhere. It's no longer than a 20 to 30 minute walk to any of the major tourist attractions. The only piece of advice I would give anyone visiting Prague is to exchange your money at Xchange on Kaprova near the Old Town Square, YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF at all the kiosks offering no commission, I got over 1000 crowns less for the same amount of sterling exchanging at a kiosk as opposed to XChange. Overall Prague is a beautiful city and I would definitely stay at the Atos again. Oh and the beer is great!!!!

3  Thank Andy C
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Location - very good. If you're up to it, you could walk from the hotel to a lot of the points of interest like the Charles Bridge and since Prague is beautiful in every corner, it will be worth walking. There's a tram station about a block or 2 away that takes you to Wenceslas Square and the city center. The hotel is also close to many shops, small restaurants and a supermarket.

Staff - they don't speak very good English but they're very friendly and helpful. They helped me book a tour and a dinner cruise and called the companies an hour before I was to be picked up just to be sure. I walked a lot on my second day and they patiently wrote directions on the map they gave me.

Room - big enough for 2 people, furniture was old but very clean and the linens smelled nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I have just retuened last night from staying 5 nights at Hotel Atos. I can honestly rate this hotel as 5/5 on all aspects.
I didn't arrive till about midnight, due to flight delays, and had prebooked a taxi there, once I arrived, I was greeted with a friendly and warm smile, I quickly checked in, and the lady on reception took my suitcase up to my room for me.
The building is absolutely beautiful, in keeping with the area, the inside has lovely wrought iron railings on the staircase, and also a lift serviceing all floors.
My room was on the 2nd floor, despite being a solo traveller, I had a double room, the room was lovely and frsh, clean, really high ceilings, the bathroom was well porportioned, with WC, washbasin and a lovely corner shower. In the bathroom was a fixed shower gel dispenser in there, also a hairdryer in the bathroom.
In the bedroom, I had twin beds, usual unit and chair, a large wardrobe, safe, which had a charge of 30chk per day (which was approximately £1.10 per day), plus 40chz depoist, refundable on return.
I found usefull, that there was a 2 coat hooks in the room. There was tv with limited channels, mini bar, wasn't too bad priced, mini wine was 50chz, (£2), 500ml coke (£1.50) water (1.00), but I used the fridge for my own drinks brought in.
There was a large fan in the room, which kept me cool, the cleaniness was the highest standard, I found that the rooms had been cleaned by dinnertime, fresh towels everyday.
Breakfast was self service, this was ok, better than basic, but not super, there was a fair selection of cereals, yogurts, meat, cheeses,rolls, bread, every type of tea and coffee you could imagine.
The hotel was located in lesser town,this is not far from the castle and can be walked to from the hotel, as well as the main attractions in prague.
There is a tram stop just on the main road, and you can pre-buy your tram pass from the hotel, 90min pass 32chk, (£1.10) day pass 110chz (£4.40) or you could buy a 3 day pass.
For any information regarding excursions, directions, recommendations, I found the reception staff to be really helpful, and would assist in any way they could.

Out and about - Food
The hotel is b+b, there are plenty of venues to eat, at the restaurant/bar by the hotel,medduzy, a bottle of coke was 38chz (£1.50), lovely to grab a drink and watch the world go by, their was a good selection of food, varying in prices, but on average 150chz + £5 plus, and at the point of my visit, hotel guests had 10% discount voucher.

Just in the opposiate direction, there was a lovely Italian restaurant, the prices were brilliant, I had a takeaway pizza came to £4. (30% discount, ), eat in was about £6+.

There was starbucks, mcdonalds, other restaurants, all in walking distance.

Supermarkets - there was a tesco, 5 mins walk, but also a supermarket on the corner near hotel, and a mini tabac shop facing the hotel, so all snack, drinks need are met.

I would definately return to this hotel, and can't recommend it highly enough. I was luckly enough to pay £33 for b+b, at that price, I couldn't complain.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank cheryll777
Monika H, Manager at Hotel Atos, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear Cheryl,
we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we grateful for your possitive feedback.. We are trying to improve our services all the time and our aim is happy and satisfied guest. Reception works 24 hours a day and the reception staff tries to help our guests with any issue. We will be happy if you come back to our hotel.

Best regards

Jan Sedláček

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I ordered two rooms, non smoking. Got there, my companion's room: great. Mine: On the top floor; one hot, non-airconditioned dingy room with two single beds hed-two-toe (that's how narrow it was),; furniture which looked it had survived "former times"; one small, filthy window which opened to the courtyard below. From this courtyard eminated the stench of rubbish and the exhaust of a restaurant. Then I saw the ash-tray.
I was relocated to a much cooler room with hich ceilings, rooms overlooking the street, comfortable bed and musch more room. Don't take the top floor.
Mostly, the staff was polite and helpful. Thze breakfast is served in the basement (not unusual) and was, for the most part, inedible (the lack of fresh air didn't help).
It is quite conveniantly located with a tram stop outside which goes both to the castle and the train station.

Room Tip: Non smoking floors. Don't take the top floor unless you're planning a loud, dubious party.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family