“A haven”

Ranked #47 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Peebles, United Kingdom
“A haven”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel is very close to the Castle complex but is a haven of peace. It is a wonderful retreat after the sights and sounds of such a busy city. The restaurant is excellent, and extremely good value, and the staff are all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms are very large and comfortable. There is no problem with noise in any part of the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JimMurdochPeebles
Marketa K, Tým podpory webu TripAdvisorFront Office Manager at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Jim,

thank you for a nice review that you wrote about us. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your time in Prague and that you were satisfied with our service. We are looking forward to meet you in here again.
With best regards,
Jitka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A friend made the reservations for this trip to Prague. He made a good selection.

We tried this hotel because we wanted to stay in Mala Strana. The location is excellent, with easy access to tram stops, shops of several kinds, galleries, and many restaurants.

The staff was very helpful. Everyone at the reception desk was friendly, but Jana stands out as having been particularly professional and knowledgeable. Her enthusiasm for the hotel was evident! We found the members of the staff who tended to us during breakfast to be helpful and efficient as well.

The room was spacious and nicely appointed. (The furniture was not antique, but we were not paying for decor of that type!) The bathroom was huge, and everything was very clean. With three banks of windows, the light in the room was amazing.

We enjoyed the breakfast each day. The fruit, vegetables, yogurt and cheeses were fresh and plentiful. We had supper in the hotel restaurant on our first night because we were so tired and had dealt with flight delays. The meal was beyond our expectations and was a nice way to start the visit. (I had an excellent dish of chicken with a salad of strawberries and spinach.)

I definitely would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank JamesIslandTraveler
Marketa K, Tým podpory webu TripAdvisorFront Office Manager at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for this very nice comment. We appreciate every sincere words and we are very pleased that our hotel was part of your trip to Prague.
In the Future, we will again look foward to your patronage.
Sincerely Jana
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked us into a junior suite a few months in advance and I was glad that I had done as the hotel was surprisingly busy, which must say something for its popularity.

We arrived in the late evening to receive a warm and cordial reception and an efficient transfer to our room. This was very spacious with a lovely big comfortable bed, extensive lounge area and a large bathroom, with separate bath and shower. The furniture was really nice, fully in keeping with the character of the hotel and the city in general. After eating out we both enjoyed a very comfortable night's sleep.

Breakfast on the first morning was very enjoyable, as it was on all other mornings. A full range of cereals, fresh fruit, fruit juices, very fresh bread, sliced meats and cheeses, yoghurts, pickles, fresh coffee, freshly baked pastries (which disappeared very quickly and were replenished promptly) - the works in fact. Added to which hot food was available on request either at no additional cost or for a small supplement for special items. On every one of the four mornings that we breakfasted here we left feeling comfortably replenished for the day ahead.

We didn't use the restauraunt during our stay, preferring to wander further afield, but the menu looked good value and appetising and the lunches in particular looked very good.

The situation is just about perfect, being in a small side street close to the castle, so you are both in the heart of the city but also in a very peaceful zone. Tram stops weren't too far away if you wanted, the Charles Bridge was 10 minutes stroll and there are plenty of restaurants within very easy striking distance.

Service in the hotel was very good with polite staff, eager to help with any requirement without being at all intrusive. Whilst the hotel was busy, this being a major tourist period, it was also peaceful and not at all noisy, the result I guess of its age and solid construction.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here which certainly enhanced our pleasure in visiting this treasure of a city and it will be our fist choice whenever we return.

Room Tip: Junior suites are well worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alf
Marketa K, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Alf, thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. We feel really proud that you´ve enjoyed your stay so much. I wish all the best to you and hope that, if you ever decide to visit Prague again, you will return to Constans.
Sincerely yours, Marketa
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We loved our stay here. The staff are courteous and polite, apart from Old Mother Angry (guests who have had breakfast there will know who I mean), the place is spotless and both times we have been our room was upgraded without asking for it.

The location is fantastic. Close to a main tram hub and a short walk across the indescribably beautiful Charles Bridge to the centre of town.

That all said gladly, they really need to sort out the breakfast. It Is clearly done on the cheap. Every day we have eaten there, on two separate week long trips, the bread has been stale without fail. It Is obvious that they save money by buying yesterday's bread and pastries. It seems like such a trivial thing, but it really dulls the shine of what would otherwise be such a pleasurable place to stay.

In fact we are in the city again now, in a hotel with a worse location and a fraction of Constanz's character, and we can't stop raving about how good the breakfast is here. It really brings home what an important part of the stay at a hotel this represents.

Sort out your breakfasts there and you will make repeat guests for life, leave it as it Is and it just shows that the management, not the staff, just have contempt for their guests.

Room Tip: As far as we can tell they are all good.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Marketa K, Tým podpory webu TripAdvisorFront Office Manager at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We really appreciate your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoy our central location near to Prague Castle and Charles Bridge. Thank you also for the comment regarding the breakfast. We work hard on breakfast improvement from January 2014. So we made really big changes since your stay last year in 2013. Now we are proud to share with you that we offer fresh and luxury selection and service during our breakfast.

We hope to welcome you back and try our new breakfast.

Best Regards,

Jana, Reception
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews but wasn't quite what we expected. It seemed more like a 3 star hotel. When we pulled up we thought we'd been brought to the wrong place - it doesn't look much from the outside. The reception area is small with the restaurant right next to it. However, the receptionist who checked us in was very helpful and welcoming (Jana/Jena) and continued to be an excellent point of contact throughout our stay.

Ours was a standard room but was spacious, with a separate living room, bedroom with twin beds, as requested, and a large bathroom. However, I was surprised that the toiletries weren't replenished on a daily basis, nor was the tea and coffee. In fact one day the cups weren't washed up either.

The breakfast was uninspiring. The cereals looked dry and unappetizing. There was a bowl of tinned fruit cocktail, which is inexcusable. Usual array of hams, cheeses, pastries but nothing looked very inviting.

I missed not having a bar or reception area where you could relax for a drink before going out for the evening or when you'd come in from sightseeing - something I would expect from a 4 star hotel.

We booked a table for dinner on our first night but they had no record of our booking although I had an email confirmation from Budílková Hana, the F&B Manager. My pork tenderloin was tough, and the mashed potato lumpy. Having finished our first course I asked if we could wait before ordering our dessert but was told that we needed to order it then because it was 9.15 and the kitchen was closing. I'd also asked for a bottle of Saugivnon Blanc, which was on the wine menu, but they didn't have any.

The location was great - so peaceful yet only about a 20 min walk to the Charles Bridge, and not far from the Castle.

Our stay was certainly pleasant - just wasn't 4 star as far as I was concerned.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Marketa K, Manažer at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 28 September 2014
Dear Hillaryjane,
Thank you very much for your review about our hotel you wrote in here.
We are thankful for any comments and if you feel there could be any improvements we can do, we are happy to hear about them, as the feedback from our guests is very important to us.
I can gladly inform you that we have fresh pastry for our breakfasts now everyday, as well as fresh fruit juices.
I am sorry about your experience from our restaurant, and I hope that, if you ever decide to visit us again, we will be able to make it up for you.
With kindest regards,
Hanka, Operation manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Constans Hotel for 3 nights on a getaway break to Prague in late May 2014.

Pros
- Great location beside the US and Irish embassies so super safe. 10 mins to the Palace and 10 mins to Charles Bridge. Having visited Prague a few times overt the years, this side of the river is in my opinion nicer. Little quieter than the Oldtown and better places to eat and drink.
- Very friendly staff who went out of their way to help - we tried booking Opera through the front desk
- Nice continental breakfast buffet. You can order eggs for free and other hot times off a menu for a charge.
- Rooms were very large and spacious and furnishing plush. Very clean.
- Pick up and drop off at airport was efficient and hassle free.
- Quiet location, we slept very soundly.
- Very good value rooms - we paid c. €100 per night.

Cons
- No major issues come to mind!

We will stay here again when next in Prague.

Eat in Kampa Park right by the river and bridge and watch the evening light go down and the lights the bridge come on. Its pricey but worth it! Also there is a little café in the Palace grounds right in the middle of the vineyard. Relax and drink in those views over the city!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Portofella
Marketa K, Front Office Manager at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dears,
thank you for writing such kind words about our hotel. It is very pleasing to read such a nice comment from our guests. I am happy that we contributed a bit to your enjoyable stay in Prage and we will look forward to meet you in Constans once again
with best regards,
Jitka
Singapore
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. I had made reservations by email a few weeks prior and asked for twin beds which were confirmed twice to me. Upon arrival, they gave us a room with a Queen size bed. Unfortunately, the only other room available with twin beds was considerably smaller and the receptionist told me it was the same price? Which I found odd because I had booked and paid for one of the big comfy rooms and not one of the small rooms. I asked to see my reservation and my request for twin beds was even highlighted with a yellow marker, so it is beyond me how they could have missed it anyway? That was the first disappointment. Granted-the room was nice and big, but the furniture is very dated and old-fashioned. It would have been nice to have some complimentary water in the room. There was a kettle to make coffee and tea, however, coffee and tea were never once restocked in three days. Even in cheap motels you get additional coffee and tea bags daily. Same goes for the bathroom toiletries. The cleaning lady never stocked up on shampoo, shower gel or even toilet paper in three days! The cleanliness was not great either, I know for a fact that the bathtub did not get cleaned, nor did the toilet. It was all just superficial cleaning. Not ok for the price we paid per night. Another pet peeve-the safe in our room did not work and we could not use it to lock our valuables in. Also there were no black-out curtains which means we woke up as soon as the sun rose in the early am. No air-condition either and we had 36 C during the day---which made the room almost unbearably hot. However, we slept with open windows as the location is very quiet (unless you have neighbors who watch TV on high volume or slam doors when getting in...).
On a positive note-the breakfast was great! Lots of choice, and the breakfast staff was very efficient, constantly replacing items on the buffet, clearing tables, setting the tables for new arrivals, etc. Lots of fruit on offer, in fact it probably had the biggest selection of fruit I have ever seen in a hotel, including first-class hotels in Asia. You could also order hot breakfast made to order, included in the rate. So overall-breakfast experience was awesome! Also the staff at reception was very friendly and helpful.
Location of the hotel is great, we walked everywhere and there are good restaurants not too far from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Michal F, Guest Relations Manager at Boutique Hotel Constans, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Doris,
thank you for your reflection about our hotel. I am happy that after the troubles at the beginning, you have enjoyed your stay with us at least a bit. Please let me explain the misunderstanding about the room - as there was a long conversation with you on the e-mail, the remark about the twin beds was hidden at the back of all the papers about your reservation. As soon as I found out about this, I was trying to solve the whole thing but unfortunatelly our hotel was fully booked at that time and I had no twin room available. At least I was trying to give you the best room possible. About the cleaning, the chambermaids normally fill the things missing every day but due to the 100% occupancy, it could happen that they forgot. You could have asked us at the reception about this and if we´d known, we could have sent somebody to bring the things needed. The same about the safe - if you have told us, we could repair it or you could leave your things in our safe at the reception. What concerns the air-condition, it is just in few rooms and it is necessary to request for it in advance. I am sorry that you were not fully satisfied in here, however, I hope that if you´d ever decide to come back to us, we could make this up to you.
with best regards, Jitka