“You get what you pay for”

Golden City - Garni
Ranked #259 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Taking in account the price, everything was fine. Location is not very central, but not a real issue, breakfast is decent and rooms are fine. The only thing I disliked was that despite my request the room windows headed to a busy street so it was quite noisy. Overall good experience but I would try something else next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Veronika K

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel, housed in a beautiful art nouveau building, is a little away from the main tourist drag, but very easily accessible by Prague's excellent tram service. My room was compact but had everything I needed for a short stay. In room wifi was fast and reliable. Breakfast in the small and busy breakfast room was varied and of high quality. This offers very good "no frills" value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Not a bad stay, but if you are expecting a Marriott you will be disappointed. I liked the location, a little outside the city center, but convenient by tram. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, non smoking rooms, but people can and do smoke right in the hallways so you still smell it. Rooms were big with Huge pillows, almost too big. Had trouble with the hot water (as in there was barely any) and lights in the bathroom wouldn't stay on. They state for 15 minutes, but at times they would go either 3 or 30 minutes. Breakfast in one word - different. The two ladies in the nice breakfast rooms were pleasant, but some ok most of the food was just strange. For the price we paid stay was OK, but I would choose somewhere else next visit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Maria takes customer service levels to a new high for this hotel. She picked us up from the bus station when we arrived late night from Vienna and dropped us to the airport for our onward journey. She was most considerate in solving our issue at the hotel when we weren't happy with the allocated room. The breakfast is a good variety and very healthy. The hotel is exactly what you pay for, but its the personal touch of managers like Maria that makes all the difference. Would definitely like to try again on our next visit to Prague.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the higher floor on back side of hotel, as Trams run up till 4 am on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

- The location is ideal, the hotel is only about a 15 minute walk from Old Town square and many of the main attractions (alternatively there is a tram stop just outside)
- The rooms are a good size and cleaned to a high standard every day
- The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, you can also purchase tram tickets from the reception

- The breakfast is basic but if you want to make use of it then you won't go hungry
- The towels are very thin, so if this is a problem then I would recommend that you bring your own

Overall, I thought the price was very good value and the room served its purpose - as you won't want to stay in much when there is so much to see in Prague! Would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: May have to close window if the sound of the trams would keep you up
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

First of all, if you pay as little as 19 euros a night for a hotel room, you can't expect 5 star hotel rooms. However, the staff did a 5 star job taking care of us and even picked us up from the airport for a reasonable price (25 euros).

Yes, the rooms weren't fancy but I wasn't expecting it either. After reading some of the terrible reviews, I can't say that I agree with the hard towels and dirty bed sheets. But then again, it's all about the perspective. The WiFi worked fine for us and allowed streaming video without any glitches with our tablet.

What comes to the sleeping aspect of the room, we slept fine. Of course you can hear the tram since it's right next to the hotel, duh. If you are a light sleeper, bring a pair of ear plugs. In our case, our neighbors were youngsters who made noise during the night when coming from the pub but I'm here to review the hotel, not the guests.

The location of the hotel was brilliant, and it only takes you about 5 minutes to reach the center and you can buy your tram tickets straight from the reception.

The breakfast was OK, not amazing but OK. Actually, it was better than what I've seen in my trips to US. The coffee was instant which was a bummer.

One thing that definitely put me off was the smoking inside the hotel and the hotel corridors but this seems to case in the city. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The hotel is 4 stations away from city center. 3 trams can be used which run very often. Staff is friendly.
The breakfast is diverse but the quality is not brilliant, however you will not be starving. The room was cleaned daily.
I would definetely stay here again and I would recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank Florina T