“Mixed feelings about this place”

Golden City - Garni
Ranked #250 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Mumbai
“Mixed feelings about this place”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

So this is was my solo trip to Prague, so was looking for nothing fancy and on a budget and booked this one cause it was a great deal on expedia. 44 euros for 2 nights.
The place is located in a district called Zizkov about 2 kms from Prague central station and about the same from Old Town Square from where all the major attractions of Prague start. And sinxe Prague is such a walking city this didn't bother me at all.
My first impression of the place was good... though it smelt a bit antiseptic (like a hospital). The room was nice and big and could easily accommodate 3 people, though I was just single.
But then the real issues started. On the first day I left the hotel at around 3 in the afternoon for sight seeing and when I came back realised that someone had been to my room. I first thought that it was housekeeping... but my bed was not made so was unsure. Then I realised that someone had used the toilet and had broken the flush. There was also a flashlight left in the toilet, looked like someone had tried to use it while repairing the flush.. all in all the flush did not work for the next 3 days inspite of having complained.
Also my room was facing the main road which has a tramline running across... and this can be quite noisy and disturbing at night evem for me who is a very sound sleeper.
Another thing... what is with the motion sensor lights in the bathroom. So if ur standing just brushing your teeth or scrubbing yourself or on the toilet seat... the lights in the bathroom would just go off as it would not sense enough motion.
Overall very mixed feelings about this place. Would I come here again... Definitely not with Family. Would I recommed it... Yes if u are on a budget and cant get a better deal. Maybe this was only my experience and you may have a better one.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Uxbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Prague was a beautiful city and neither of us had been before and we loved every moment. This hotel was a little out of the city but really only 10 mins on the tram outside and with 3 to pick from we never waited more than 4 minutes and they run till really early so it never was an issue. The help desk staff were all really helpful and spoke plenty enough English to help us with all requests and even tried to help us and appreciated our attempts at Czech! They sell bus passes etc at he desk too so travelling around is easy and most days we walked in first thing and it only took 15 minutes.
There isn't a restaurant but you do get a comprehensive breakfast included. All continental and the same each day but more that enough choice for our 4 days so we didn't get bored of item
All in all we loved it, thought it was brilliant for the price we paid and would happily stay again. Thanks hotel golden city :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel although is not very near to the centre but a tram stop is just outside it. The hotel staff is very helpful. Breakfast is good. Good value for that price and they give a good exchange rate for money too. So if you are staying here, you can gen your currency exchanged and have your tram tickets and city map from them too :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Taking in account the price, everything was fine. Location is not very central, but not a real issue, breakfast is decent and rooms are fine. The only thing I disliked was that despite my request the room windows headed to a busy street so it was quite noisy. Overall good experience but I would try something else next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Veronika K
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel, housed in a beautiful art nouveau building, is a little away from the main tourist drag, but very easily accessible by Prague's excellent tram service. My room was compact but had everything I needed for a short stay. In room wifi was fast and reliable. Breakfast in the small and busy breakfast room was varied and of high quality. This offers very good "no frills" value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Kansas City
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Not a bad stay, but if you are expecting a Marriott you will be disappointed. I liked the location, a little outside the city center, but convenient by tram. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, non smoking rooms, but people can and do smoke right in the hallways so you still smell it. Rooms were big with Huge pillows, almost too big. Had trouble with the hot water (as in there was barely any) and lights in the bathroom wouldn't stay on. They state for 15 minutes, but at times they would go either 3 or 30 minutes. Breakfast in one word - different. The two ladies in the nice breakfast rooms were pleasant, but some ok most of the food was just strange. For the price we paid stay was OK, but I would choose somewhere else next visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Maria takes customer service levels to a new high for this hotel. She picked us up from the bus station when we arrived late night from Vienna and dropped us to the airport for our onward journey. She was most considerate in solving our issue at the hotel when we weren't happy with the allocated room. The breakfast is a good variety and very healthy. The hotel is exactly what you pay for, but its the personal touch of managers like Maria that makes all the difference. Would definitely like to try again on our next visit to Prague.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the higher floor on back side of hotel, as Trams run up till 4 am on...