“Not all that its cracked up to be”

La Boutique Hotel Prague
Ranked #305 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Dublin
“Not all that its cracked up to be”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a 3 night weekend break in September 2012, we booked it on lastminute.com website and the reviews on Tripadvisor were pretty good, so needless to say when we arrived at the hotel and got out of the taxi, entered the main door I actually thought it was a low budget hostel rathe than the 4star hotel as advertised. The room was very small and basic though clean. Breakfast was medicore with a dangerous spiral staircase leading from the so called lobby down to it, not a very good idea for those with mobility problems, there is a lift down.

As for the location, its not in a great part of the city, ok its within walking distance to some bars, restaurants and a shopping centre but to get to the city centre - the old town - its about a 30 minute walk, now this is ok if you are doing it in daylight hours but not after dark and by the way avoid taxis at all costs, we have travelled extensively and Prague has to have the biggest rip off when it comes to taxis, its widely known. The old town is very pretty with lots of bars and restaurants, and all very reasonably priced. The people are polite but not over friendly. All in all, we enjoyed our trip but wouldnt recommend this hotel as its very drab both inside and out but most importantly its ideal to walk from there to the city centre, though there is a metro nearby, but I think these close at 11pm so you are left with the rip off taxis. Needless to say we were back at our hotel before midnight.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I booked this as a "spare of the moment" trip this week and an say what a brilliant time we had! The location of the hotel was perfect in the sense that you are not too much in the centre, therefore you are not paying central prices (prices in Prague for food and drink are considerably lower than the UK). We didnt actually stay in the hotel itself, we stayed in the apartments that belonged to the hotel just a short walk away, but actually that little bit closer to the river and transport links. The apatments were clean, well kept and quite spacious for what it was. Although very nice I can see why some people may find them very basic but for me they are what they are basic accomodation at affordable prices and in my opinion I wouldnt need anything else, after all I went to Prague to see "Prague" not to sit in a room all day! I will say this, I enjoyed the fact you are staying where there are locals living as you get to intergrate and interact. There is a mini mart just next door too! They do have WIFI here so there is one luxery!!! Breakfast was included at the hotel and again I can see why some travellers may complain about if they are staying in the aparments as you do have to walk a couple of minutes back to the hotel but for me again this was fine and the breakfast was worth it. This was a selection of cold meats, cheese, yoghurts and toast (brown or white bread) as well as cooked sausages and egg, very continental and typical of the region. I enjoyed this! As mentioned earlier the location is out of the amediate city centre but this added to my trip, not at all a negative part. You are approx a 5 minute walk from the nearest bridge ( I would recomend you ask for a map at reception when you check in) once over the bridge there are very frequent tram services that run well into the night and many a bar on boats and botels that line the river! The hotel is also in close proximity to a local town/ area called Andel great for restaurants and bars! When eating out as much as I would recomend not going off the beaten track we found that the best food and drink and infact the cheaper prices where located on the back streets across the river!! I will be making many more trips to this fantastic city and will be looking to book in this accomodation again! To finish the staff are very helpful and knowlegable therefore do not be affraid to ask questions. They organised taxis for us to the airport and also helped with which trams to get to get into Prague! You can walk from the hotel but it does become a long day if you are going to see the sights!

Room Tip: Don't be put off the fact the apartments are not in the same building as the hotel, this adds to...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kiko10mcr
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed at La Boutique with my girlfriend for three nights. We called the hotel on arrival because our flight had a 1,5 hour delay. Because of the time of arrival 1:30am we were asked if we wanted a transfer to the hotel so we didn't have to find a taxi. Very convenient!

Because we also had to leave very early in the morning the front office employee arranged a take away breakfast for us. Excellent service and tasty b'fast!

Room was clean and comfortable. Maybe a little small but big enough for 3 nights. Breakfast was good, quite a big selection of food.

Location is ok. We would have liked to be a bit closer to the old town. Nevertheless it's close to a big shopping mall, lots of nice restaurants and has great public transportation connections to all parts of the city.

We had a very nice stay and would recommend La Boutique to those who want to enjoy a city trip to Prague.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I booked a 4 night stay at this hotel for me and my girlfriend as a gift for her 21st birthday. It was an inexpensive hotel which I hoped would serve a good base to go out and explore the city.

We arrived late on the Monday evening with news that Prague was suffering from some of the worst flooding for over 10 years. There were sandbags piled up along the roads, flood defences and military on hand to direct/divert traffic away from the swelling river. As such, upon arrival we were informed that the room we had booked (an apartment) had been changed so that we were located further from the river. Even so, we were told that we may be evacuated if the flooding got worse, but told not to worry as the situation would be taken care of. The cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel is approximately 600-700 CZK (£20-25).

The room we were given (31) was very nice, a big comfortable double bed, plenty of room, mounted tv, good size bathroom and wardrobe including iron, hairdryer and safe deposit box. I was a little disappointed that there was no kettle or tea making facilities yet found the room very pleasant and settled into bed quite nicely.

Breakfast was served between 7:30 and 10:30 each morning and included continental options (cooked meat, salad, bread) along with cereals, yoghurt, fruit, cooked bacon, eggs and sausages. On top of this there were tea/coffee making facilities and fruit juices.

The hotel was very well situated with a shopping complex and row of restaurants located a short walk outside the door. Aside the shopping complex were tram links, a metro line and bus routes should you not wish to walk very far to any of the cities attractions. However, due to the flooding, we decided to walk most days. It took us approximately 20-30 minutes to walk from the hotel across to the nearest bridge and up to the Old Town.

On our third day our key card stopped working - it transpired that the card wasn't the problem and the door lock was broken/unservicable. After calling the locking systems maintenance (we went out for around an hour before returning), the hotel managed to open the door and said that we would need to move to another room as the locking system would need further investigation/possible replacement. Overall the situation was handled well and we did not suffer much inconvenience other than the wait for a serviceman to come and inspect the lock originally.

Overall I'd say this hotel was good value for money (giving that it is inexpensive) and offers a great base to go and explore the sites the city has to offer. The breakfast is a great bonus too as you can fill yourself up and afford to have a light lunch.

Room Tip: The apartments are located in a seperate building which could make waking up for breakfast a pain!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed here for four days during our recent trip to Prague.

It was very clean and in a good location, very near Andel metro station and tram links.

The breakfast was good and the staff were polite. Would not hesitate to stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We ended up not staying in the actual hotel and were given an 'apartment', which is an ensuite bedroom 2 streets away from the hotel. The room was big and clean but the wifi didn't reach inside, we had to go out to the stairs to get a signal.

Staff are a bit unfriendly and unhappy. Breakfast was very good, exceeded my expectations. Having breakfast in the hotel made me think that the rooms in the hotel would be of a higher standard than the apartment but I haven't been in one.

One good thing about the location that the area is not touristy at all and still not far from the city center. There's a local shopping mall walking distance and a couple of nice restaurants around with no english menus!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel to be acceptable considering it's cost. The position is good enough to reach the centre even on foot. Trams and underground also are close by. The breakfast was good, but the restaurant being in the basement wasn't really appealing. The room was clean and spacious and the staff was always willing to help. If in Prague again we would consider this hotel for sure.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple