“Bad knees? Be careful of the bathroom”

Art Deco Hotel Imperial
Ranked #47 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Perth Western Australia
“Bad knees? Be careful of the bathroom”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Husband and I just returned from Prague where we stayed 3 nights at the Imperial. Clean, spacious room, spotted the 2nd, separate toilet immediately on entering the room and silently shouted "Hooray, one for him and one for me" but then my heart sank when I saw the main bathroom. Yes, lavish marble tiles, underfloor heating if required, clean fluffy towels, basic shampoo/soap as required but then my heart sank as I looked at the extremely high sided bath that had the shower over it. With 2 bad knees and no step on which to climb, getting in and out of that bath to have a shower was going to be almost impossible for me, especially trying to step onto a wet marble tiled floor. (The hinged small glass screen clearly was not going to prevent splash from the shower getting onto the floor).

I immediately went down to reception to see if I could get another room but the extremely disinterested receptionist (who even had the gall to roll her eyes not once, but twice, as I tried to explain that I couldn't get in and out of the bath without assistance because of the high sided bath that almost came up to my hip) just told me that all the baths were like that in the hotel. The only "disability friendly" room was already taken and I would have no option but to struggle in that room.

Imagine my annoyance, when talking to other guests the next morning at breakfast, to be told that they had rooms with separate walk in showers in addition to the high sided baths. No mention of those was made by the receptionist the night before.

If you have any form of mobility problems, please make sure you book a room that has a separate shower because you're going to be faced with big problems getting in and out of a bath that has the shower over it. Luckily, my husband was able to help me in and out of the shower but even with his help, I felt very vulnerable to falling.

Oh, and if you have a room on the first floor facing the front, you're going to hear the trams trundling past the hotel all night. Ear plugs or sleeping tablets if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The Imperial Hotel was our home for 3 days of sightseeing in and around Prague. After being ripped -off by one of the famously-crooked Prague cab drivers, we were deposited at our nicely-restored hotel, only a 5 or 10 minute walk from much of scenic Prague. The room was not overly-large and the bathroom was downright cramped but clean. A potential downside for anyone with a mobility problem is the very high step over into the tub to have a shower. Staff the the front desk was friendly and the concierge was very helpful. The breakfast buffet was adequate but certainly not the best I've had in Europe. One unusual problem during our stay was a pungent, nasty smell in the elevators that had us seeing if we could hold our breath during the ride to or from our floor! Hopefully, that has been resolved.

Prague is truly a magical place to visit and I would recommend the Imperial Hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
harrogate
Reviewed 8 October 2009

luxury hotel within walking distance of attractions.Very clean and bed really big and comfy.breakfast not included but worth paying the extra for.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Bay Area
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Art Deco Imperial Hotel. The location is perfect and the king size bed was very comfortable. This was the best hotel we stayed at in our two weeks in Europe. We booked this hotel based on the Trip Advisor feedback as well as the price compared to other hotels with the 5 star rating.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2009

My partner surprised me with a weekend to Prague for my birthday staying in the Imperial Hotel. The hotel was fantastic, there was not a single thing you could complain about. The hotel is beautiful and spotless, the rooms are so comfy and the under floor heating was great after all that walking. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Prague itself is brilliant, cheap, chilled and beautiful. I cannot rate this hotel enough and will most definately be going back there and staying with them again. I had the most amazing time there so thank you!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I stayed here in September 09 as the last stop of a 4 week visit to Europe. Certainly the best hotel I stayed at on the holiday. Amazing rooms, great location and great amenities. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Prague. Just stay away from the pay per view movies, very expensive!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Aspen
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We stayed several days in the Imperial Hotel and were quite pleased with everything. The complimentary breakfast offered daily was excellent. The staff was very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple