Hotel Melantrich
US$364
US$277
Preferred Hotels
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsperfect locationold town squareastronomical clockmustek metro stationno liftthere is no air conditioningplenty of storage spacecharles bridgeyogurtcold cutsdecent breakfastthe main squarerecommend this hotelthird floorsmall hotelmin walkvisit prague
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 September 2007

Stayed here from 16th - 19th Sept. Our double room was away from the main part of the hotel (room 46) in a small annexe where there were three bedrooms with windows looking out over the main street. Our room was large accomodating two singles pushed together, making a very large kingsize. The room was very clean with basic but well co-ordinated soft furnishings.

The secondary glasing ensured we were not distrubed by noise, although seeing the road itself is not really open to traffic there wasn't much to worry about . There is even a nightclub in the basement of the building but I can honestly say we didn't hear any music at all. For residents who want to use the nightclub entry is free. Although the hotel is away from the main hen/stag party area (Wenselas Square) we did need to open the window one night because it was very hot and so did we hear a small group of youngsters talking rather loudly as they passed by around 4.30am!!!!

Seeing breakfast was included I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. There were 3 types of ceral, yoghurt, cold meat/cheese, olives, relish, a large variety of rolls and bread, a toaster, and a selection of jams, danish pastries and doughnuts. The one downside is there wasn't a tea bag in sight, only a variety of fruit and herbal teas. Luckily past experience has taught me to pack some of my own.

The location is fantastic, right on the border of the old and new town with many of the main attractions well within walking distance. We paid approx £75 per night and compared with Paris and Amersterdam I was happy with what we had for our money. The receptionist Josefev, even saved us over 100 kcs (around £3.85) by arranging a cheaper taxi for our return to the airport. All in all I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Milton5561
Reviewed 6 June 2007

Hi,
Stayed there just after new year 2007. The single most important thing about this hotel is the location. It won't score any points for being a luxurios palace. We've been to Prague 6 times and always stayed at different places. I specifically chose this place because of it's location. In my opinion it's in the bullseye of Prague. It's a 100% bullet proof location. We couldn't be in a better place for the price bracket that this hotel falls into.

The hotel itself is nothing flash, and the service could be imorved but hey again this place trades on location and there a better and nicer hotels a lot cheaper than what it would cost you to stay here.

On our arrival we got put in a room that had cleary just been vacated by dirty, horrible, smokers...I told them I didn't want this before I went but they obviously didn't consider my request. I complained and they moved us. It was slighty better but wasn't impressed. To be honest I'm always out of my hotel and although I like my comfort I was ok with the basics of the room. My girlfriend wasn't but hey there are worse that can happen.

I would recommend this hotel and I would definitly stay here again....but remember it's location location location!!

PS-The breakfast was very very very very very basic, if it get's thrown in with your booking be prepared to go and buy one straight after!

• Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed 7 May 2007

I paid 80 euros (2360 czk) for single room (May 5th, 2007). the room is clean but small. it is so small that I guess they would have some problem moving the single size bed into the room. The bathroom is clean and feels like renovated recently.

considering the price and the location, Melantrich is worth the money I guess. It's hard to find anything (except hostels) under 70 euros.
(Prague is now a very expensive city, I could get a double room like this in NYC right next to Times Square with this money in Jan last year!! that was Portland Square Hotel BTW)

As many reviews resonate, the location is great, right in the middle of the way from Mustek station and old town square.
Literally 2-3 minutes (female) walk from the astronomical clock, and in a very tourist-crowded way, so I didn't worry about going back to the hotel even I was alone at midnight.

But the lobby is problematic. Even though it is shared with a pub/disco place, but there were not many people at night and not very noisy. You get an additional key for the lobby door and it is always lockes (need to buzz to get in if you don't have the key).
But then there's the dark strange stairs/corridor to the reception desk and it is SCARY if you are alone at night.

I tried to get back to my room to get the battery for my camera but then someone followed me hurridly, and I wasn't sure if he was the guest or not. While walking on the stairs with no one but the stranger, I didn't feel really safe. But the gentleman at the reception kindly walked me to my room.

This point can be ignored if you are a male tourist, or you are in a group of more than two. but BEWARE if you are female and traveling alone.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2007

I stayed in this hotel in November 2006 and found it excellent but wouldn't recommend it for "luxury travellers" (no bar, restaurant, safe, room service etc.
Like others have said the best part is it's location and price. Close to everything, basic but clean and friendly staff. Buffet breakfast was also nice.
It is also located a few doors down from a vegetarian restaurant, perfect.
Would go back again.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank Puzzle8
Reviewed 28 January 2007

My stay at the hotel started off pleasant. When we entered the hotel (which you enter only after you ring a buzzer and the door is opened from the lobby) we were greeted kindly by a elderly gentleman. He quickly checked our reservation and sent us to our rooms after giving us a map and showing us where the hotel was located in reference to noteworthy points in the city. We entered our room and it was quite run down with everything in there looking like it was still in use from the 80’s with the only exception being the bathroom, which look like it had been remodeled recently. One comforter had a visible hole in it and the carpets looks they weren’t properly vacuumed as there were evidence of crumbs scattered across the rooms. But overall the rooms were tolerable but not anywhere near 3 stars as advertised. Maybe 2 but probably closer to one and half.

But rooms aside, the worse thing about this hotel was the service. Aside from the initial elderly gentlemen every other person that worked there were among the rudest people I have ever seen in the hospitality industry. And this is not a reflection of the Czech people at all, who for the most part were friendly and polite.
I first noted the service when I asked for a iron and was given a look of death, and reluctantly granted the iron after mumbling something to herself in Czech and slamming the iron down on the front desk. (If you stay here you will need an iron, because they only give 2 hangers for the whole room) Encounters like this were common place, if you asked for directions they would pretend not to understand English, ask for change for a 500 kroner bill they said they didn’t have any, asked if I could bring a breakfast plate back to the room for my friend who was still sleeping and was denied.

Also in regard to service you are not allowed to have guests in your room past 10pm. I have never been to a hotel with this kind of policy before. They seem to treat customers there like they are 10 years old. I wouldn’t be surprised if the hotels next policy was that all occupants had to be in their room by 12am.
On to the positive’s of the hotel which were few and far between.
Location was within a 5 minute walk of Old Town Square and Weneslas square and 10 minutes to the Charles bridge. The breakfast offered daily was edible, offering assorted cold meats and cheeses, some cereal options, and a variety of bread and jams.
Overall I would strongly recommend not staying at this hotel, as we talked to many other tourists that did not have similar issues at other hotels. Prague is a beautiful city with some great people but this hotel did not showcase either.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank crf27238