“Great location, garbage in the entrance...”
Review of Hotel Melantrich

Hotel Melantrich
Ranked #199 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 11 May 2008

Very simple but clean hotel, right next to the main square in the old town (5 min walk). Also within 5 min of subway station Mustek and 10 min from the main tram lines to go up to the castle.

Location is thus the number one reason to choose this hotel. Rooms are nice and what you would expect on a 3* hotel.

There is no luggage room, although they let you leave your bags in the reception area. There is also no loby and the reception is where the breakfast tables are.

The hotel entrance is actually on the first floor the building portraied in the pictures. On the basement there is a disco / restaurant, so there is a bouncer at the door leading to both the hotel and disco, but that was no problem. There was also no problem with noise.

After passing the bouncer, you get to a hallway with 4 large and smelly garbage containers. You need to get passed them, up 2 flights of stairs (no elevator) to get to the breakfast / reception area. To go to the rooms there is also no elevator.

Right next door there is a money exhange place with reasonable rates.

I would stay there again due to its fantastic location and suitable rooms. However, the garbage issue really could do some dealing with...

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 March 2008

As others have commented, it is its location that makes the Melantrich so convenient. My room in November was warm & cosy and relaxing. The entrance to the hotel is somewhat bizarre but once you make your way upstairs you find the reception where the staff are more than accommodating. Breakfast was adequate and noise levels etc in my room were not intrusive. Leaving the hotel you find yourself immediately in the hustle & bustle of the street. The cost at this time of year (€50 per night) was reasonable and had I booked a little earlier would have been cheaper still. All in all for what I paid & where it was - no complaints.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2007

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Melantrich and I chose it again due to it's fantastic location right between the Old Town and Wenceslas Square.

However, my expectations were exceeded by the fact we were checked into Room 48, probably the biggest hotel room in Prague. And the Breakfast has improved.

All in all, a great hotel, friendly staff all right in the middle of one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. I'll be there again next year!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank MikeCfromEngland
Reviewed 22 September 2007

Stayed here from 16th - 19th Sept. Our double room was away from the main part of the hotel (room 46) in a small annexe where there were three bedrooms with windows looking out over the main street. Our room was large accomodating two singles pushed together, making a very large kingsize. The room was very clean with basic but well co-ordinated soft furnishings.

The secondary glasing ensured we were not distrubed by noise, although seeing the road itself is not really open to traffic there wasn't much to worry about . There is even a nightclub in the basement of the building but I can honestly say we didn't hear any music at all. For residents who want to use the nightclub entry is free. Although the hotel is away from the main hen/stag party area (Wenselas Square) we did need to open the window one night because it was very hot and so did we hear a small group of youngsters talking rather loudly as they passed by around 4.30am!!!!

Seeing breakfast was included I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. There were 3 types of ceral, yoghurt, cold meat/cheese, olives, relish, a large variety of rolls and bread, a toaster, and a selection of jams, danish pastries and doughnuts. The one downside is there wasn't a tea bag in sight, only a variety of fruit and herbal teas. Luckily past experience has taught me to pack some of my own.

The location is fantastic, right on the border of the old and new town with many of the main attractions well within walking distance. We paid approx £75 per night and compared with Paris and Amersterdam I was happy with what we had for our money. The receptionist Josefev, even saved us over 100 kcs (around £3.85) by arranging a cheaper taxi for our return to the airport. All in all I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Milton5561
Reviewed 6 June 2007

Hi,
Stayed there just after new year 2007. The single most important thing about this hotel is the location. It won't score any points for being a luxurios palace. We've been to Prague 6 times and always stayed at different places. I specifically chose this place because of it's location. In my opinion it's in the bullseye of Prague. It's a 100% bullet proof location. We couldn't be in a better place for the price bracket that this hotel falls into.

The hotel itself is nothing flash, and the service could be imorved but hey again this place trades on location and there a better and nicer hotels a lot cheaper than what it would cost you to stay here.

On our arrival we got put in a room that had cleary just been vacated by dirty, horrible, smokers...I told them I didn't want this before I went but they obviously didn't consider my request. I complained and they moved us. It was slighty better but wasn't impressed. To be honest I'm always out of my hotel and although I like my comfort I was ok with the basics of the room. My girlfriend wasn't but hey there are worse that can happen.

I would recommend this hotel and I would definitly stay here again....but remember it's location location location!!

PS-The breakfast was very very very very very basic, if it get's thrown in with your booking be prepared to go and buy one straight after!

• Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed 7 May 2007

I paid 80 euros (2360 czk) for single room (May 5th, 2007). the room is clean but small. it is so small that I guess they would have some problem moving the single size bed into the room. The bathroom is clean and feels like renovated recently.

considering the price and the location, Melantrich is worth the money I guess. It's hard to find anything (except hostels) under 70 euros.
(Prague is now a very expensive city, I could get a double room like this in NYC right next to Times Square with this money in Jan last year!! that was Portland Square Hotel BTW)

As many reviews resonate, the location is great, right in the middle of the way from Mustek station and old town square.
Literally 2-3 minutes (female) walk from the astronomical clock, and in a very tourist-crowded way, so I didn't worry about going back to the hotel even I was alone at midnight.

But the lobby is problematic. Even though it is shared with a pub/disco place, but there were not many people at night and not very noisy. You get an additional key for the lobby door and it is always lockes (need to buzz to get in if you don't have the key).
But then there's the dark strange stairs/corridor to the reception desk and it is SCARY if you are alone at night.

I tried to get back to my room to get the battery for my camera but then someone followed me hurridly, and I wasn't sure if he was the guest or not. While walking on the stairs with no one but the stranger, I didn't feel really safe. But the gentleman at the reception kindly walked me to my room.

This point can be ignored if you are a male tourist, or you are in a group of more than two. but BEWARE if you are female and traveling alone.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2007

I stayed in this hotel in November 2006 and found it excellent but wouldn't recommend it for "luxury travellers" (no bar, restaurant, safe, room service etc.
Like others have said the best part is it's location and price. Close to everything, basic but clean and friendly staff. Buffet breakfast was also nice.
It is also located a few doors down from a vegetarian restaurant, perfect.
Would go back again.