“Did not disappoint...”

Ranked #192 of 672 Hotels in Prague
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Did not disappoint...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Based on the previous reviews, I was a bit afraid of what I should expect but this establishment did not disappoint at all.

It is true that the hotel has not been refurbished recently and some parts of it don't look that good. But I got a really good price so I can't really complain.

The location is one of the best in Prague, in my opinion. The hotel is located in a beautiful, luxurious and quiet part of the city. It is close to everything both river banks have to offer. Most major attractions are located within a short stroll.

Check-in was quite fast, even though we had to wait for a while as several people were checking-in at the same time. I think it was just a coincidence. The receptionist was kind, she explained everything expressly and gave us key cards. Reception area isn't grand but it looks good. It is kind of dark so you can't really see any flaws. The corridors, however, should have at least carpets replaced, they are visibly worn down. On the outside, the hotel is ugly but there is not much anyone can do about that. It's just communist architecture.

What I feared the most was the room. Fortunately, I didn't have to. It was spacious, clean, had big windows and the bathroom was huge and very nice. Our room didn't overlook the river which I didn't mind because it probably meant that it was quieter. And quiet it was, indeed. Nothing disturbed us at night or in the morning. The furniture is probably old but it wasn't visibly worn down. The TV, though, was very small and almost ancient for a 5-star hotel. Flat screen TV would definitely be a nice touch. There is also a radio hi-fi system which, in my opinion, doesn't look very good in the room, but it did the trick. The bed and linen is quite comfortable. As I mentioned above, the bathroom is very big. It has two sinks, a bathtub and a shower. There were some cracked tiles and a bit of mold near the shower but I had to look very closely to see that. We had minibar included in the price but, as someone has written earlier, it really is a joke. Some soft drinks, 2 cans of beer and 2 chocolate bars.

Breakfast is very good. Decent choice of cooked meals, several kinds of hams, cheeses, fruits and so on... Nothing to complain about really. The restaurant looks alright. We didn't try dinner.

All in all, I rate this hotel as very good. It has a great location, spacious rooms and good breakfast. Refurbishment would really help but it did the job for the price I got (about 80EUR per night).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jackkk1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I will definitely come back to Prague !! The Hotel is just few minutes away from the town center.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Salem, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

First I will share the bad but there is also good too so keep reading!!

Prague is such a beautiful city and the people are wonderful. We were warned several times to watch out for scams and pickpockets and never ran in to one, except from our own hotel!!

At first the Travel Zoo offer seems like an excellent deal and it would have been had the hotel honoured what their specials were INTENDED to be.

This is exactly what the package said from the hotel’s confirmation letter.

Package includes:
Accomodation on upgrade in Junior Suite
Daily full buffet breakfast
Free minibar the first night
Free welcome drink in our Piano Bar on arrival Free parking Special price for welcome 3-course dinner for special rate 390 CZK per person Voucher discount of 350 CZK for a massage in our Tawan Massage Center per person Free access to Sauna and Jacuzzi

Here is a rundown on the offer and then what actually happened, remember this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel:

1. Two discounted massages. Happened as offered, you pay the massage place separately as it is its own business.

2. Two free welcome drinks. Happened as offered, we had a glass of red wine, not sure if you could have liquor or not.

3. Free mini bar the first day. This is where it began to go bad. When we got to the hotel room the mini bar only had juice and pop in it. There was some gum and peanuts sitting above it on the table. The next day, after the cleaning had been in, the mini bar had several, as in around 10, little bottles of liquor and there was at least three bottles of wine. It is fine if you advertise a LIMITED mini bar, it is fine if you say NO ALCOHOL is included but to say free mini bar and then strip it of all those items is false advertising.

4. Two specially priced, three course meals. When we sat down at the table and we were waiting for our menus the waitress came to our table and told us we were having carrot soup, pork chop, and cake. I told her that I didn't understand. We were being told what we were eating? She called over her colleague and he confirmed that you are told what you are eating. I was mad by this point and went out to speak to a Manager. The manager's name was Jana (this is not the same Jana from the restaurant). I explained to her that we felt we were lied to. She shrugged her shoulders at me! I told her that was unacceptable that this is a 5 start establishment and you don't shrug your shoulders at a guest and you don't lie. She shrugged her shoulders again. I told her we were not giving the hotel another dime. Went back to our table. Jana, the manager then came to our table and said she would make an exception and we could order from the menu, a starter and a main. I was happy with that because that is what she should have said to begin with but I was still upset because now my evening had been ruined. As it turns out while it was true, we could order a starter and main we were denied our third course as our starter and main exceeded the allowed amount of 390 czk.

I want to be clear that we would have been happy with a choice of items. They could have offered a special menu. But it is silly and unrealistic to offer one choice. There are religions that do not allow their followers to eat pork. There are people with allergies and there are vegetarians. One choice, which was not stated in the offer, is unacceptable. As the offer was presented you felt you got a three course meal off a menu. To offer otherwise was false advertising.

When I went to check out I was asked what I thought, I again tried to explain and again I was treated as if one option was acceptable for dinner and that the offer wasn't deceptive. I was told the kitchen is busy. I will also be writing management regarding this situation.

If it wasn't for the false offers I would have given this hotel a much higher review because quite honestly the breakfast buffet was fantastic. The kitchen was staff very nice and helpful. I want to mention Jana here. Not the manager but the Jana of the restaurant staff. She was exceptionally nice and helpful. The food at dinner and lunch was good.

The room was spacious. There was a mini bar which was just a small fridge that did have room for some of your own water, etc. We had room 309 which was considered a junior suite but we don't know that for sure. We had a view of the river which was nice. The bathroom was nice and large but the shower leaked. You actually got a tub/shower and a separate shower. There were also two sinks. The beds were comfortable and the pillows outstanding. Plenty of furniture to put things on. Water pressure was decent. Toiletries was not 5 star but we bring our own anyhow. Good lighting.

Reception was helpful enough. We always got a smile and a hello. Especially from the porters. Also, I spoke via e-mail several times with a lovely lady Marie, she was very helpful and arranged a potty chair for our room for our little guy who is potty training.

We used Prague Airport Transfers. www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk Very happy with their service and price. We were told so many times to watch for taxis that were a scam so we hired this company and they were great and honest. Dressed nice and came in nice cars. Even had the requested child seat both time. The hotel does offere airport transfers but they were pricier then these guys.

All in all Prague is a stunning and wonderful city but I cannot recommend a hotel that I feel does not honour their offers and acts like a one star hotel when dealing with guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a river or castle view. Our room was on the side of the hotel, we could see the river and n...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank JulesAS
President H, Front Office Manager at President Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all we would like to thank you for your trust in our President Hotel Prague.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences occurred during your stay with us.

We set a high value on your comments because they help us to improve our service and performance in all the departments.

It is our aim to satisfy our clients and meet with their expectations in order to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

With respect to your review we wish to state the following:

Minibar – There are several offers similar to the TravelZoo one running in our hotel at this moment. We definitely admit that an internal misunderstanding occurred between two of our departments. However we would really appreciate if you let us know directly at the moment you noticed the error so we could solve the situation immediately without any delay.

Dinner – We have already held a meeting with our Food and Beverage department and we have taken appropriate action with respect to Manager Jana.

Thank you very much for your feedback. We have noted with a great detail our weak points that you brought to our notice and we would like to assure you that we will do our best to improve all our services.

Again, we kindly request you to accept our most sincere apologies for the caused inconveniences. We shall remain at your disposal should you have any further questions. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

We would be very happy to welcome you in our hotel once again in the future to provide you much more better services and care.

Yours sincerely,

Eva Belokostolska
Front Ofiice Manager
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here during the recent great freeze in Europe using an offer from Travel zoo. The hotel was great value. Centrally located with river views. Spacious well fitted and comfortable rooms which were spotlessly clean. The staff were lovely and went out of their way to help with directions and local recommendations. E.g. Excellent Italian food and service at "Marina Grosseto Ristorante" A large well converted barge, moored on the river about half a mile away. On one occasion, connecting to Wifi in our room was not possible. A short call to reception, resulted in the technical manager arriving quickly with his own laptop to check the connection and a router which he quickly installed in our room. The restaurant was less good in the evening, but breakfast was fine.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank P M
Galicia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a short break in the city and were positively surprised by the great location and amazing views of the bedroom. This is a traditional style hotel with a classy old-world charm which goes very well with what one expects from this romantic city. Our room was spacious -actually it was huge- and well-appointed. The furniture was not particularly modern but it wasn't old-fashioned either; this is not the usual IKEA style chain hotel. There was a sofa, coffee table and desk with chairs, plus a good view of the city centre from the window.
The breakfast was very good, with plenty of tasty cakes and other Central-European specialities like smoked fish, hams, sausages, etc. We also had dinner at the Vltava restaurant -it's certainly worth it since you enjoy the gorgeous sight of the Prague Castle lit by night- and enjoyed it too. I am not a great fan of MItteleuropa cuisine, but my trout with cream sauce was pleasant and all the dishes that came out of the kitchen looked carefully prepared and presented.
The staff at the reception was friendly and helpful; they arranged our airport transfer in style -booked a Mercedes!- and there is also a Casino at the hotel for those of you on a business trip with money and/or time to burn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking onto the Castle side
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kayapetai2016
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Myself, 3 sisters, 1 niece and a friend have just come back from a brilliant weekend. The hotel was just what it says on the tin. They were extremely helpful even before we had left England arranging transfers for us. The rooms were large enough to accommodate 3 beds as well as sofa and coffee table (often 3 in a room means all on top of each other). Ideally situated for access to all aspects of Prague and if you are not that nimble on your feet, taxis cheap enough. Even the extra cold weather did not spoil it for us as the hotel was snug and once outdoors there was hot wine, hot chocolate or even all the usual chains like Starbucks, Costa and McDonalds.
Go on give it a go.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front offer the best viewsof the river and castle but may suffer traffic noise, we were...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Barcelona, España
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Suposed to be a luxury hotel for business or high end tourism and the guests where more like convention business visitors and low cost tourists!
Despite the location and quality standard shown, all the equipments, furnitures and design is very old fashioned, out dated and with suspicious cleaning.
TV was not plasma, network TV system was not working and wifi stop its functionement at 00h30 despite it is necessary for business travelers; at 09AM when I was making check-out internet conexion was still not working.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business