“Signature collection?”

Boscolo Prague, Autograph Collection
Ranked #63 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 3 December 2011

not sure what a signature collection is supposed to mean! The location is not great - just far enough from the main centre to be an inconvenience and in a poor part of the town. Overly warm rooms mean you need the window open so you get the noise from cars on cobbled streets and trams from 4:30!
The pool was closed for repairs so you would expect to be informed about this when you checked in.
Typical old fashioned Czech customer service (none!)
Modern bar but empty - no atmosphere

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Kettonian
Write a ReviewReviews (2,807)

Reviewed 2 December 2011

As with other comments previously written about this hotel, I was a bit worried about what I'd find when I arrived at the hotel but I can happily say this is a fantastic place to stay in Prague and all the staff were extremely polite and helpful. I noticed before travelling that the pool and spa area had been closed so a few days before going, I emailed the hotel who confirmed that the pool area would be closed for the duration of our 4 night stay. I was pretty dissapointed about this as it was one of the main reasons we had selected to stay at that hotel, which I informed the staff and due to the inconvenience caused, they upgraded our room as an apology, which was nice of them.

The Superior Room we stayed in was immaculate, a very good size and the toiletries/towels were replenished every day - towels even twice a day as someone came around every evening to ask if we needed new ones which was a nice touch.

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to the main train station where you can get to anywhere you want in Prague and about 15 minutes walk from the main shopping area so it's certainly in a really good spot to get everywehre but not noisy in the evenings. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank clarebear69
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The service is excellent throughout. Breakfast is good. Our room had the ventilation issue. After informing hotel staffs, they took action quickly, technician came to inspect and finally they moved us to the new room. They dealed with the problem with great sense of urgency!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Roongtiwee
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Given the ambivalence of some previous reviews, we had some doubts about this hotel, but happily they were all unfounded. From the very start, the staff were very friendly and helpful - from the receptionist who gave us very clear directions re getting about on the trams and metro, to the waitress at breakfast who remembered our order every morning after day one (we stayed for 4 nights).
We were upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was sumptuous, with a lovely view of the central railway station (worth a visit - rather dilapidated, but impressive, nonetheless). As we'd arrive quite late, we ate in the hotel restaurant the first evening - nice food, lovely surroundings and attentive service, but (probably due to the time of year - early November) very quiet - only one other table occupied;for the rest of our stay, we preferred to experience some of the restaurants and pubs around the city.
The pool was beautiful -sadly, the jacuzzi wasn't working, but the subdued lighting was very soothing.
The hotel is within easy walking distance of Wenceslas Square and a reasonable walk to the old town, but best of all, it's really handy for both trams and the metro, so you can see all the sights without getting too footsore.
If you like a bit of luxury and decadence, this hotel is definitely for you. I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: We were in the old part of the hotel, which I think has more atmosphere than the modern part, and fr...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank morag o
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We saved hard and booked here as a birthday holiday and treat for me after a pretty hard year. I was so excited because all I had read about the hotel was fantastic and the photos looked beautiful. The hotel is gorgeous and the entrance hall/reception is breathtaking however that’s as far as I got before it all went wrong.

Upon check in we were informed the pool would be out of order for the duration of our weeks stay – very disappointing, we were not warned on this at any point before arriving and I feel we should have been offered some sort of compensation for this, but no.

We were then shown to our room, upon first impression the room was very nice and I was happy for about 10 minutes until my boyfriend found a large mouldy damp patch by the window. It was mostly out of sight but the problem we had was it was still damp with black mould which would have been terrible for my partner’s asthma!! I wasn’t too worried; I expected to just be moved to a non-mouldy room. However, they informed us they only had one other room available and it would be smaller!

We had no choice but to take it and I was SO disappointed. I didn’t think a 5* hotel would have rooms like it. It was very small with angular ceilings like an attic so it felt very claustrophobic. The window was tiny and up so high the room was dingy and depressing.

The staff were very helpful and bought our things from the mouldy room to the tiny one for us and were all very polite throughout our stay. However this did not make up for the huge disappointment of no pool and budget style room. All in all I didn’t feel I was staying in the 5* hotel we had paid for.

No-one apologised or offered us any sort of compensation for ruining our long saved for treat of a luxury holiday, for this reason I would never go back and will not recommend this hotel. A gesture of goodwill goes a long way, the apparent lack of caring from this hotel speaks volumes.

Room Tip: If you end up in a dingy room with angular ceilings like an attic and half a window ask to move! The...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank MissTwizz
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have recently returned from a lovely stay at the Boscolo Carlton IV. I stayed for three nights and was a solo traveller.

Getting to the hotel: I decided to take the bus/metro to the hotel. Buy your ticket in the arrivals hall and it’s bus 100 from directly outside the terminal (to the right hand side) then Metro line B to Nameski Republicky (or something similar), I think it was 8 stops on the train. It cost all of 32CZK. From the train station turn left and go to the corner of Municipale House. Take the left and walk past several hotels (including Hotel central K+K on the right hand side), turn right then at the end turn left and you will see the red signs for the hotel. I got caught out as I just read the Carlton and not Boscolo.

Check in: This was very smooth and quick. I was allowed to check in earlier than 14:00. I was offered a glass of juice upon arrival at the desk. My credit card was taken a pre-authorisation and this was ok. I was given some leaflets and directed to my room. Very smooth and efficient.

Room: I stayed in room 346 (I think) and the room was lovely. I had a large king size bed all to myself. There was a mini bar but of course very expensive. No tea and coffee making facilities as they expect you to order room service. The bathroom was lovely, large bath with shower, b-day and lovely sink. The only downsides were the view from the room was of a wall. And I could not turn the heating off. It did get very stuffy and the fan was quite loud.

Room service: I ordered room service on my first night and although my hamburger and chips was nice, it was very expensive. It cost 500CZK plus 100CZK for delivery, so £20.50 for a burger!!

Movies: I also paid to watch a few recent films and again very expensive, worked out 310CZK (£10.64 per movie!).

Spa: The spa facilities were lovely however this was where the hotel fell down. The area around the pool was full of used towels, robes and dirty dishes/glasses from guests. The spa staff should have been keeping it clean more regularly.
I could not find out how the Jacuzzis worked, neither did any of the other guests when I was there.
The sauna/steam room were good. The plunge pool was very cold, it seems a similar temperature to the pool.

Spa treatments: I had a 60 minute hot stone massage. My male therapist was very professional and good, although it would have been nice to have the option for a female therapist.
The problem I had with my massage was it was very noisy with people walking past the room so it was difficult to fully ‘relax’. Although you can not control guests, I feel if there were signs requesting people to be quiet, which would have helped. Also children were using the pool so that made it noisy and I did hear members of staff talking which they should certainly know to be quiet. The massage was rather expensive at 2300CZK so it’s ashame I couldn’t fully enjoy it.

I can not comment on the restaurant or bar as I did not use these. The areas looked lovely but I decided to eat out most days.

The lobby area was nice and they were redecorating as well. The two computers with free internet was handy but for a ‘5*’ hotel, I would have expected free wifi in the room.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel to others. I would just say please don’t fully expect a 5* service.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I highly recommend this hotel. Nice setup, clean, classical though renovated. The staff is very empathic and helpful. The wi-fi signal in my room was too poor but it was fixed within a few hours by the addition of an extra router closer to me. There also was a problem with insufficient water pressure one morning. This too was fixed within minutes and, the same evening, I had a basket of fruit waiting in my room with a very nice apology note from the manager. Every staff member had a professional attitude, a smile, an courteous gesture. I must also mention that the place is nicely located nearby popular (touristic) places though outside crowds and traffic.

Room Tip: Some rooms are located far away from the elevators and the end of long hallways. If you mind the lon...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business