“Let down at the end.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Let down at the end.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in September. The hotel is nice & the room was comfortable & clean.
The guy who welcomed us was helpful & friendly.
I was ill while we were there, unfortunately, so was confined to the hotel most of the time.
The food was fine. Breakfasts were buffet style with a reasonable selection. Dinner was mainly bar meals, but they were tasty & had good portion sizes.
All was fine until we checked out.
We were told we owed money for over 30 phone calls & some chocolate from the minibar.
I said we hadn't used the phone at all or eaten anything from the minibar. I asked him to check the room & he confirmed that everything was there, so he removed the chocolate from our bill. (!)
I then pressed him on the phone bills. They were to two local numbers. When he called to see who they were it turned out they were caterers who supply the hotel!
They were trying to pass management calls off as guest calls! He reluctantly apologised then 'allowed' us to go.
A month later I got an email asking for my credit card details to pay for minibar items!
I declined & complained, but have heard nothing since.
We had really enjoyed our stay up until we left & had planned to go back.
We definitely won't now.
I'd advise against staying here because it felt dishonest rather than a genuine mistake.
But if you do decide to go then please check your bill carefully.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank 374claires374
Robert_Safarik, Manager at Questenberk, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear 374claires374,

I would like to thank you for your review and specially for staying with us at the Questenberk hotel during your Prague trip.

As you have mentioned our hotel strives to provide very high level of customer service. We appreciate that you have enjoyed the welcome check-in over a glass of wine, whilst overlooking the beauty of Prague and the friendliness of the staff member. Apart of the staff our hotel really stands out for our unique rooms in the historical palace from the 16th Century and the cleanliness thorough the hotel and in the rooms in particular. I agree the breakfast in the former chapel with splendid view of not only the city, but also the historical Strahov Monastery and copy of the Eiffel Tower from a top of the hill is a real treat.

It is great that you have enjoyed your stay with us until the end of your stay and initially planed to stay with us again, should it have not come to a misunderstanding during the check-out procedure. I believe my colleague Jacob apologized directly to you for the mistakenly posted phone calls charges when he removed them from your bill upon your departure. This was caused by the failure of the property phone system and I hope it did not cause any other troubles otherwise.

One last but very important thing that I would like to mention is related to security of payments. We take all credit cards charges very seriously and therefore we always contact our guests regarding minibar items that are supposed to be charged to their account to re-confirm. This is simply a question of approval to additional charges. I understand this may have upset you but I am glad to know that thanks to this procedure we never charged anything from the minibar to you.

I regret very much you'd not stay at the Questenberk hotel again in the future. Therefore I would like to take at least this opportunity to thank you once again for being our valued guests and I wish you on behalf of the entire team, all the best!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Had a wonderful stay. Everything each person praised about this place is true. As everyone says...the hotel staff is superb. I would almost go back just to stay at this place again! Great location in walking distance to the castle and the monastery. A beautiful peaceful huge open park right next to the hotel made for a perfect walk in the trees and a place to rest outside in a quiet location with breathtaking panoramic views right over the entire city of Prague. Breakfast was amazing and everything you could hope or wish for in a place to stay. Highly highly recommended staying here without any hesitation. Thank you Questenberk Hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_Safarik, Manager at Questenberk, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Mrs. Karen,

let me say it was a great pleasure welcoming you in our hotel and is even greater reading that you were satisfied to such a level. I myself adore the hotel´s location whilst running every morning, but I could never even begin to fathom, what a beautiful comments we would receive. Prague is really a wonderful place to stay, full of art, history and it´s romantic feel, but sometimes, it can also feel cold to be far away from home. And that´s why we are here, to provide our dear guests, with the most accurate services and make them feel cozy and comfortable, even when they are an ocean away from their homes.

I would like to sincerely thank you one more time for your compliments and I hope that we will get another chance of welcoming you in our hotel.

Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is located above the Castle and has a fantastic view on Prague. Sitting on the terrace with good weather is a real treat.The hotel belonged to the Cloister closeby.It has been transformed into a hotel keeping elements like statues,paintings,furniture etc.The decoration of the hotel is kept in style but efficiënt on the other hand.It creates a pleasant and unusual atmosphere.The staff is very friendly and everybody is trying to do his best to make your stay comfortable.Do not expect much luxury,but you will appreciate the different experience.On my critical remark made in the enquiry afterwards the management reacted not only with apologies,but also with a refund.Something I have never experienced in my long traveling life.Chapeau !!
The only critical point is that the hotel is not close to the centre of the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nico g
Dear nico g,

thank you for taking time to write your valuable opinion of the Questenberk Hotel after your stay.

As you have correctly pointed out, our hotel is a note-worthy part of the Castle Area, as it had been a part of the nearby Strahov monastery, which still has the monk inhabiting the place. We try very hard to find the optimal balance between the classic medieval architecture / decorations and comfort, so I am very pleased to see that this effort creates a memorable feeling.

We are keen on providing our guests with the services that we think they deserve, so we always take appropriate actions, should our customers express their displeasure, just like in your case.

Dear nico g, thank you for staying with us and I am glad that we were able to make you feel content. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We planned to stay in Prague for 1 night, travel to Berlin for 2 nights and then back to Prague for 2 nights. We initially thought of booking 1 night here, then another 2 nights somewhere else, but fortunately we booked them all here. We had a beautiful walk to the hotel from where our airport bus left us, through some beautiful streets and then up through the castle to the top of the hill. We were a little warm and tired when we arrived. We were asked to take a seat on lovely comfortable chairs at the check in desk, given some lemon towels to freshen up and checked in by a lovely young man Jacob, who gave us information and a chilled glass of sparkling wine. Our luggage was taken to our room and Jacob showed us the outside terrace with a view to die for and then our room which was lovely. My husband and I were overjoyed we found such a lovely place and delighted we were coming back again for 2 more nights. We had a meal and drinks on the terrace that evening, which was very good, well priced and relaxing.

The room and beds were very comfortable. I filled out a guest questionnaire after our first night and said it would be helpful if there were 2 chairs in the room. When we returned 2 days later, our room had 2 chairs, and also we only used 1 pillow each the first time and put the others on the floor, and on our return visit there was 1 pillow in the bed and the others on the wardrobe. That attention to detail makes all the difference, and shows the hotel really cares. Breakfast was lovely too in a gorgeous room with fantastic views again. All the staff were very friendly and efficient.

The location is in a lovely area away from the noise of the main area and near the castle with fantastic views and a very cheap tram ride takes you into the main squares. I would return in a flash to this hotel and Prague is a beautiful and friendly place. I see it is No. 18 out of all the Prague hotels, but I will keep my eye on this and totally expect it to go higher in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bluehills68
Robert_Safarik, Manager at Questenberk, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear bluehills68,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at The Questenberk Hotel.

I am delighted to know that you chose to return to The Questenberk and it gives me great pleasure to know that you had a wonderful, memorable experience and that we welcomed you back into our Questenberk family.

We pride ourselves on our attention to detail here and I am thrilled to know that we were able to prepare your room as you wished. My Executive Housekeeper, Mrs. Zora Vorechovska, will be delighted to hear that you found the room to be comfortable and immaculate. Thank you for your kind words regarding the remarkable service you experienced throughout your stay. I will be sure to personally thank Jacob and to the entire team on your behalf.

I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to The Questenberk Hotel in the future. Please, let me know if there is anything I can assist you with.

La Habra, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The reviews don't do it justice. This lovely hotel met our expectations plus more. The views were amazing, the service was outstanding and the rooms were very comfortable. They were very accommodating to our every need. They really want their guests to not only enjoy their stay in the hotel but in the city of Prague as well. For my birthday they left a lovely bottle of sparkling wine and a fruit platter with a nice greeting from the management. Breakfast was always great with wonderful homemade yogurt and breads. The room was very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The location was perfect because it was away from the noisy city and still in a very safe area. Depending on where I am, sometimes I prefer to be in the hustle and bustle of the city (ie. Chicago) but Prague is definitely one city where the night life is alive and for someone like me who enjoys a good night's sleep, it was nice to be in a quiet area. I will definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to my friends. Thank you for making my experience of Prague very memorable!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear dleecalifornia,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had a truly nice experience at the Questenberk hotel. Our team pride themselves on ensuring that all of our guests are cared for and that their time with us is memorable. I am thrilled that we were able to play a small part in your birthday celebrations and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your birthday.

From all of us at The Questenberk hotel we hope that we will be able to welcome you back before too long and thank you so much for your recommendation.

With warmest wishes,

Linthicum, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

From beginning to the end of our stay, everyone was wonderful. This was truly one of the best
places we have stayed in awhile. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is young and knowledgeable.
They are so much fun. We and our children would come back in a heartbeat. Thank you all
for the good time. The Zellers and McCall families

Room Tip: South side has a better view than the north. Did not notice noise on our north side third floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Zellers and McCall families,

Thank you for posting your fantastic feedback of your experience at The Questenberk Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your entire stay with us and that you found the staff to be friendly, helpful and fun. We really appreciate when guest notice our dedication. The Questenberk is indeed in an ideal location as many of the delights Prague has to offer are within walking distance from the hotel and it is ub quiet area on the top of the Petrin Park. Rooms facing south offering breathtaking city views are Grand Deluxe category, specifically room 307 and 406.

We hope to welcome you back to The Questenberk Hotel again. Please, let me know if there is anything I can assist you with.

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The staff is attentive and helpful, the room huge by European standards,and very nicely decorated, and the location wonderful. We used the car service they arrange for airport pickup and train station drop off, which worked out very well.

We walked up and down the hill every day (sometimes twice)--would recommend the stairs after you've wondered up the streets. I personally find it less tiring to go up a lot of stairs than a long slog up a relatively steep street. It was lovely to return in the evenings to the quiet of the hill--also, don't miss walking through the castle area at night, when the church is lit up and there are few people. It's magical.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VtTravelerUsa
Robert_Safarik, Manager at Questenberk, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear VtTravelerUsa,

It gives me great pleasure to know that you chose The Questenberk Hotel during your recent visit to Prague based on our reputation. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to write your great feedback of your stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location. There is no better way to wind down from the hotel than by enjoying the Nerudova street with all the cute shops around. Frankly speaking, I found it a bit challenging on the way back. But you right, Prague Castle is a majestic sight and no more so then when lit up at night. We love to hear when guests have had a relaxing and enjoyable time with us and I am glad that The Questenberk Hotel was a fun experience for you.

I look forward to welcoming you again to The Questenberk Hotel.