“GREAT STAFF, not so great accommodation.”
Review of Clown and Bard

and 1 more site!
Clown and Bard
Ranked #84 of 674 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hostel is run by lovely friendly people, who were more than accommodating and extremely helpful. However, the hostel itself was very unclean. The rooms, kitchen and bathrooms all looked dirty and really needed a deep clean. The bedding was awful so I would definitely advise taking your own. Although I cant really complain as the hostel is great for budget travellers - super cheap with an even cheaper bar. The hostel is quite out of the main area and is up an extremely steep hill, however, there is few nice places to eat around and a couple of convenience shops. The hostel is not far from the main station and there is also a tram stop just a few minutes away so the location isn't bad.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank livkinney
There are newer reviews for Clown and Bard

Reviewed 17 July 2014

At first sign it looked like a crappy, not so clean place. And the people in my room were very distant. So I didn't like it. BUT really i sat down for an half an hour at the bar, and I felt at home. And the thought I had before didn't mean anything at all. The staff is so kind. And if you ask something, they will help you out.
A good thing about the rooms is that the bathroom and the kitchen is just next to your room, so you don't have to walk a lot of stairs before you can take a shower or cook some meal.
The third night I was there, there was a pub crawl and I normally I had to catch my plane in the morning. Like you can aspect, I missed it.

Room Tip: there is wifi only works in the rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This hostel was run by friendly people, and had a peculiar charm, despite the fact that from the outside one would probably (although entirely incorrectly) assume that it was a crack den.
The rooms weren't all that clean, but that's half the experience ! The terrace was a good place to relax. The drinks are insultingly cheap at the bar.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Georgiab123
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This place was very close to the train station- about a 15 minute walk, so I'd recommend leaving the train station, best you Google it, but it definitely is manageable to walk!
Prague in general is VERY hilly, very steep, so I would recommend storing all big luggage at the train station. When we entered the hostel, it took us 102 steps to get to our room- and we were only halfway to the top, so....keep that in mind! The place is due for a DEEP cleaning, its pretty grungy.
But the staff was AMAZING. when they saw us, the always asked how we were, were genuinely concerned with our well-being, loaded us up with water if we looked dehydrated, and were very informative. I even left an article of clothing at the hostel and they mailed it back to me, for free.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the bottom! There are MANY flights of stairs here, and after a day in Pragu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My 3rd visit to the clown and bard and Im staying for good. Everything you need. great adventures begin, continue and regenerate here. Friends are made for life. Hangovers become a bonding experience. Be yourself and enjoy yourself here, I always do. I've stayed in a lot of hostels, this is my most favourite.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I would confidently say that the Clown and Bard is the most welcoming,
well located and intriguing hostel I’ve been to. For just under £8 per night you get
a clean bed in a well-maintained 6 bed dorm. There are a few elements of the
decor which need touching up, but this is understandable considering the price.
There a quite a few showers and I’ve never had to queue for one in the morning,
nor have I had any issues with hot water. Each floor seems to have a kitchen,
with ample utensils to prepare most basic meals and fridges to store ingredients.

The staff are the friendliest I’ve come across and your always welcomed at
the bar like an old friend. Their local knowledge is truly impressive, with local
events regularly posted on the blackboard in reception, for example last week
a group from the hostel went out into the city to enjoy the yearly event in Prague
which allows free entry to a whole host of museums.

The 24 hour reception is handy for late-night returns and an all-you-can-eat
breakfast buffet is available 0900-1300, handy for those lazy mornings. The
bar is a great place to hang out, with local expats frequently dropping in, always
bringing tips about local events, good restaurants and the best bars.

I spent over a week there (deciding to extend my stay to experience more of this
beautiful city) and found the city centre to be a leisurely 25-30 minute stroll away.
Alternatively, the hostel is well located for regular and reliable trams and buses
which run into the early morning.

If you fancy doing a walking tour I would recommend The Naked Tour Guide, two
employees of which live in the hostel building and both of whom seem to have an
incredible insight into Czech history and culture.

Thanks again to Neil, Jeremy, Callum, Alexia, Donald, Sir Gregor, Tanja, Petr, and
Floor for giving me an amazing stay!

See you again soon!

Room Tip: There are a wide variety of rooms, I've seen 6 bed dorms, 3 bed dorms, private rooms, private ro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The main issue about this hostel is its LOCATION. It is up a huge hill miles away from the main city that required a lot of effort every day/night to commute to and from. Forgotten your wallet? Too bad. The hostels all the way back up there, bro. That issue aside...

Our room was cozy, beds were comfortable. Sheets are put on by the guests rather than the hostel staff.

The bathrooms were a blessing. There was always hot water, always a shower free, usually clean and enjoyable. Very nice to wake up to.

Bar was a nice place to relax, they had freely available computers that came in handy to our trip.

The fees for the stay had to be paid entirely by cash, which caused us some issues with a new currency, but the staff happily waited while we resolved them.

Staff were helpful. Although they insisted on us handing in our keys as soon as we left to do anything in Prague, they were always on hand to take them from us or give them back to us upon our return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends