“Risky to your health -Stay away !!!”

Hotel Olympik Tristar
Ranked #583 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I didn't come with any expectations from the hotel. Being in prague a third time i already know what to expect from certain hotels and know thet low prices comes with very basic/cheap facilities. Also from reading previous reviews i knew what to expect, but still i was shocked. My review is not about the bathroom which has the cheapest and thinnest plastic toilet sit (which can be bent easily by a kid), or the shower head which has no place to be hanged, or the the shower curtain which was actually a sliding accordion boards of plastic (probably part of them broke in the past thus make it too short to fully prevent the water from flooding the floor. nor the lack of air conditioning throughout the entire hotel (which can be problematic if you intend to take an afternoon nap in a room with direct sun of 32 degrees Celsius, unless you like to sleep in a sauna). I want to tell you about the horrible breakfast and what we accidentally noticed when we were last in the dining room. Needless to say the breakfast buffet is so poor in choices but even the lousy bits of what they call cheese, had no similarity in taste or texture to cheese, and when i tried scooping my self a bit of salad from the 3 bowls of salads, an army of flies rose up looking at me angry for disturbing their breakfast. While we were still sitting there, the busboy started removing the products from the buffet onto a cart. Bread and cakes which were partially sliced and used by guests were thrown into a garbage can on the cart. A few seconds later , came a women looking all frowning and started scolding at the busboy while removing the partially eaten bread and partially used cake from the can, brushing them with her fingers and puting them back in the basket of breads...
There is a limit for cheap services but this hotel has gone way over the line...

Room Tip: Probably any other room in any other hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank IzzyE_TLV

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel is very nice - rooms are nice and big, comfy bed, nice bathroom and shower. Very close to metro/tram stations. The breakfast plus was a really nice surprise. The only problem is that they don't have air conditioning in the summer (or any sort of ventilation). We were there at the end of July and luckily for us it wasn't very hot and the nights were cool. We slept with an open window otherwise it would have been very stuffy. Never occurred to me to ask about the A/C, but apparently many hotels in Europe don't have it. Oh, there's also no wifi in the rooms - only in the lobby (it's free of charge).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dalit R
Reviewed 18 June 2014

What makes a hotel NOT a hotel any longer? Well, stay at the Olympic to find out! Nowhere will you see the management to make amends, because there IS no management -- just overworked front desk staff who complain that they don't make the decisions! 1) No mattresses -- only thin pads on the frames 2) No double beds, only singles 3) No working air-conditioning 4) no convenient parking and 5) no valet / bellman service 5) no kleenex in the bathrooms 6) elevators take forever---should I keep going? Upon checking in, one staff had the nerve to state that this was a 4 Star Hotel --- in their dreams.....this is a 0 Star Hotel. Sell it to a chain quick.

Room Tip: Yes, go to the Sheraton where they have good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AmericanPsy
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We chose this hotel because it was cheaper than other hotels in Prague both downtown and further away from downtown. It is not fancy at all and the service wasn't very good but we spent the whole time going around Prague anyway so we just needed an affordable place to sleep at night.

The rooms were very basic but ok, they were clean and so was the bathroom.

What was very unpleasant and unexpected is that they didn't have internet for the rooms, they had it in the lobby but it was quite weak. Also, at about 11PM they turn off the lights in the internet area and make you feel like you shouldn't be there anymore which was very unpleasant.

The breakfast was very basic, too, it was edible and that's about it.

The subway station was about 5 minutes away.

Overall, if you are looking at this hotel because it is cheaper, go only if you are ok with very basic rooms, breakfast and service. It wasn't terrible and you go for the city itself anyway, but it is definitely far from being a nice hotel you would like to go back to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dominika F
Reviewed 21 October 2013

With claims of holding 3 stars the hotel seems unsure in some places advertising 4 star status, however either is a massive overstatement. Dirty rooms, aweful food and rude staff lie in wait for the unsuspecting tourist trying to visit a beautiful city but on a budget - not only to mention the 90kr (£3) for 50ml of bottles water. Decent location but with aweful views of a council-block style hotel blocking all vision of the cities fantasic architecture. One of the worst hotels I've stayed in without a doubt and a huge disappointing to an otherwise great visit to Prague.

• Stayed: October 2013
9  Thank theHotelReviewGuy
Reviewed 4 July 2013

First of all I want to preface this by saying I'm a frequent traveller and have stayed in many forms of accommodation in many different countries around the world yet the service I received from the Olympic Tristar in Prague was truly shocking and I would like to warn others, or at least provide them with an insight into the working practices of the hotel along with other examples that led to me stating it has to be the worst hotel I have ever checked into.
Reading reviews by other guests I was concerned about the hotel yet went with an open mind, ready to be impressed or have an alternative experience as many of the reviews portrayed the hotel in a negative light and I can now see why....
The first thing that annoyed me was when I booked up several months before the trip to Prague the price was surprisingly high as I have stayed in Prague before and am aware of the price range for this type of hotel but as friends had pre-booked to stay there I also booked. At the time of booking they stated ''Only 2 rooms left at this price !!'' So upon seeing this and knowing Prague can become busy in peak times I decided I would have little option but to secure my room for the four days of my trip. I then continued to check the website which I had booked through and see they always had rooms available and that there was no shortage and that the price I paid 4 months ago had been slashed to a third of the original cost. This didn't annoy me too much at first but then as other things started to go wrong and the bad service I received from the time of checking in to checking out I feel they should be the ones paying me for the headaches and annoyance they caused. I'll outline the main problems as I do not wish any other tourist or traveller to book at this hotel and receive such poor service, nor do I wish the hotel to profit from their attitude towards their guests.
Arrival: Upon arrival I was coldly greeted and had to produce every bit of paperwork, passport and documentation to prove I was the person who had booked a room for 4 nights, Normally I wouldn't mind but these receptionists have no conception that a person might have been travelling half the day to get there only to be met with 'service with a snarl'. I was given no information on what facilities the hotel offered, nor what time breakfast was served from, where it was served or anything about the surrounding area ( usually hotels are only too willing to tell you where the nearest metro or bus stop or supermarket is but not this particular receptionist. It was as though I was interrupting her afternoon by having the temerity to check in ! Luckily I spotted where the lifts were and guessed the floor I had to exit upon ( again standard practice for hotel receptionists to tell their guests ). I entered my designated room and I was greeted with two small single beds when my booking showed 'Bed Size = Double ' . I returned to reception to inform them, again interrupting the receptionists afternoon siesta or willingness to do anything like work. She told me that I had only booked a single room and that this was a 3 star hotel. I have stayed in 3 star hotels before and it is normal for them to have double beds in single rooms and that I booked upon the understanding I was to have a double bed as shown on the booking page. She then reluctantly agreed to move me to another room. So back up I went in the elevator and expecting to see a double bed upon entry and guess what ? They gave me a twin room ! Not a double bed in sight and so I headed back to reception again to explain and I informed her again that I was unhappy with this and she told me there were ''No double beds in the entire hotel'' . I find this impossible to believe that a hotel does not provide any double beds in any of its rooms. She was adamant about this and we debated for some minutes before she made a telephone call to someone within the hotel. A minute later a man appeared and showed me to yet another room ( room 3 by now ) and again it was a twin. By this time I was exhausted from travelling and trying to make them understand that what I had booked for and received were not the same. At no point was there an apology by either of the hotel staff, just an aggressive manner. Inside the room was acceptable apart from the bathroom door almost becoming detached from its sliding rail, lack of hangers, dusty surfaces, noisy fridge and 'urban view' from the window.
The next morning and for the three after that I was greeted by the sound of exceptionally loud cleaners who liked to gather it seemed outside the hotel room to seemingly endless conversations that they wanted us sleeping guests to hear !! This was not confined to my particular corridor either as my friends who were staying on a separate level also has the same problem.
Breakfast the first morning was a terrible experience. Awful stale food, foul tasting tea and coffee along with poor selection and watered down orange and apple juice so that you just were able to detect a slight hint of flavour. Plus the staff started to clear everything away around us and taking food and drink away 30 minutes before 10 am and given some guests were still eating or may have wanted more, some yet to arrive at the breakfast area seems unacceptable practice by the hotel.
I had little t do with the hotel staff during the intervening stay here but upon checking out in the morning I was due to depart I again encountered the same woman who had checked me in four days ago. I asked her if she could call a taxi as I had a voucher for a discounted fair and wanted to use the same taxi firm that had brought me from the airport to the Tristar. She refused to phone and told me I should make the call from my hotel room. I was unsure whether the taxi operator would speak English and it again is normal service for a hotel to phone for a cab for guests. Bearing in mind I had spent almost 300 euros with the hotel it is the least they could do but I was told that if I wanted a taxi to take me to the airport they have their own service they provide which turned out to be more expensive than the taxi I was due to take back from the hotel. I could see at this point there was no point in arguing with the woman and accepted. Also I should add I wanted to leave the hotel at 10-20 am and I was in reception at 10-15 awaiting the taxi and it did not arrive until almost 10-40 am. The receptionist had forgotten to call them so hence the delay. By this time I was thinking 'typical' ....
I enjoyed Prague, the city immensely and would recommend it to anyone but this hotel is in my list of places never to set foot inside again in my lifetime and I advise others to steer well clear as there are many other alternatives and want fellow visitors to the beautiful city to not encounter problems like I did.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators and away from the gathering areas that the morning cleaners like to hold lou...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Ed S
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Soviet style cheap hotel. Without internet. Actually they have wi-fi but only at lobby and for money.
Verey bad breakfast, completely inedible. But Tristar have soma advantages - good location at Karlin district and daily made service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business