“Mostly Very Good”

and 1 more site!
Brewery Hotel U Medvidku
Ranked #204 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 26 January 2014

It was a great surprise to find that it had been nearly 10 years since i last stopped at U Medvidku - which is not a judgement on my previous stay :)
Staying there in January, I got an excellent price for my room - just £32 per night.
The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the nearest Metro station (Mustek) and less from the nearest tram stop (Narodni Trida). When the Narodni Trida metro station reopens in 2014 it will will be an even shorter walk.
The location is very central, and perfect for me as I like to spend my evenings at The Vagon club, which is literally around the corner from the Hotel.
The reception staff were all very friendly and extremely helpful when asked for assistance.
Being part of a building with a brewery in it, there are items of brewery equipment used as decoration around the hotel.
Don't expect a lift, however. This a old historic building, so stairs are the only way up and down.
My room was right above the restaurant. Even though this was still busy despite the out-of-season time of my visit, at no time did i suffer any noise disturbance.
The rooms was basically furnished, but very comfortable.
I was a little disappointed that there was no kettle/tea/coffee making facility in the room - though this was not a major problem.
There is an HD TV in the room, though only two English language channels available (BBC News and CNN) so it didn't get turned on very often!
There is a very good wi-fi signal available, and also two PC's available for guests use on the ground and first floors.
The only real disappointment of my stay was with the breakfast - which was made up (as is usual in Czech hotels) of cooked sausages and eggs, sliced meat, cheese, cereals, yoghurt and fruit juice - and cake!
Unfortunately the eggs and sausage had gone cold most mornings by the time i went down to eat - perhaps this was due to there not being many guests at that time of year. The lady in the breakfast room was very helpful, and did cook me fresh eggs and ham on one morning.
On my final day something i ate for breakfast made me ill - it could have been anything, but it it put a bit of a damper on my last day in Prague.

Apart from this I had a very enjoyable stay, and it would not put off from visiting again.
These things happen, and i'm certain it was just a one-off.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Friendly efficient service. Very good location close to all the places we wanted to see and the restaurants we wanted to try. Good restaurant downstairs which was great on arrival. Breakfast included which was enjoyable. Wifi was excellent - high speed and worked throughout our time there. Only small complaint was that our loft room was very creaky and the sound proofing between our room and the one next door was non-existent - so abut noisy. Wouldn't stop me from staying there again though.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Nice little hotel virtually in the centre of the city, just 5 minutes away from Mustek. The rooms are large and clean, albeit with relatively cheap furniture. The hotel personnel is friendly and helpful.
If you look for something special, ask for a historical room. For a 10% fee, you get a room with a special touch. Room 33 is huge and has quite a nice old-fashioned atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed last weekend, and the Hotel was an historical building from 1466 and they brew their own beer, which was excellent and not at all pricey.

They also brew the strongest beer in Prague 17%!!!!!!! the staff were friendly and helpful, it was not luxurious, but kept clean. Breakfast was Ok for a 3star hotel.

Location, location 7mins walk from Old Town Square.

Room Tip: No lift and plenty of stairs so choose a lower floor, 14, and 15, were perfect for us
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Really love this place. Cheap, friendly, with a authentic fin-de-siecle feeling. Obviously my views are tempered by having a micro-brewerey attached, and they sell Tullamore Dew. If you really want to knit pick we you can say that teh pillows are to osoft but other than that it is pretty damn near perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I absolutely loved the fact that this once brewery,converted to hotel is rooted in CZ history! It has all the essence of years gone by! Clean, cute, comfortable and in the "style of Praha"! Before I go much further, I much add what may be a major drawback to staying here~there is not an elevator! And for me that is ok.My oh so cute attic room was on the fourth floor. Again not a big deal to me, as I would book here again, but warning to those who don't do stairs~150 round trip to be exact! Stay but ask for a room closer to lobby. Help was available for transport of luggage and they even packed me a "going away" breakfast as I departed before the breakfast hour. ANd the provided breakfast was very wonderful! Eggs, meats/cheeses,yogurt/fixings,breads,juices,fruit,etc. Just lovely! So very near ALL Praha has to offer, with out the need for anything by great walking shoes! Out your door, turn left or right and you are on your way to the amazing sights, sounds and experience of Praha!!!! Book it!

Room Tip: Tip is stated in above review, but repeat~ There is not an elevator and so choose room wisely as ste...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights in this ideally located hotel. Hotel is clean with comfy beds, helpful receptionists & varied breakfasts. In fact our stay could have been perfect if it hadnt been for the outrageously rude staff in the brewery side of the hotel. This is a busy brewery, very popular with the locals & they made it perfectly clear that they didn't welcome tourists. We are fairly well travelled within Europe but nowhere have we ever been treated like we were in this bar. The first night we entered I had a menu snatched out of my hands - this was the barmans way of telling us they had stopped serving food. He then ushered us into a seperate room where we were not allowed to sit at a table next to the bar - this was apparently reserved day & night for their 'friends'. The overall attitude was appalling & my normally very tolerant other half was left speechless when we were asked to pay for our drinks immediately despite the locals not paying until they had finished their food/drinks. I can only assume their attitude has something to do with stag and hen parties that must frequent the place but its not a good idea to treat tourists this way when u are part of a hotel. We went as a couple & although I could recommend the hotel I probably wouldn't choose this hotel again due to the treatment we received in the bar. We did go in (more fool us) on 3 seperate occasions & every visit left us gob smacked. However if u avoid the brewery this is otherwise a very good hotel. It would be interesting to see if the manager has anything to say about our experience, though if he is anything like the staff in the brewery I very much doubt it

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple