“Quite ok”
Review of Ritchie's Hostel

Ritchie's Hostel
Ranked #236 of 704 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 2 November 2012

You know the main advantage of this hostel - its location. Sure it was perfect. Here are some less perfect points.
Sleeping quality - it depends on your luck. We lived near the reception area and almost every night there were loud talking there (not staff, other guests). 3 am, 4 am - any time. With thin walls it can be bothering, luckily I had earplugs. Also, noise from other rooms AND from air condition system (which was our view from the window by the way). Rooms are small but quite ok and clean. Though some hooks for street jackets or towels would have been appreciated.
Two times we experienced lack of hot water. I mean it was warm, but not enough for a comfortable shower.
Friendliness - well, I guess it was nice for Prague. Had no problems with booking (everything was fast and they kept in touch very well) and receiving our room. But they only tell you what you ask. Got cheated by the exchange point next door - I guess they could have bothered to warn when I asked about them. Be careful with exchange points and aways ask the sum you get BEFORE giving the money.
You can also find many printed tips in the lobby and get free maps there.
Despite many points I enjoyed staying in Prague and sure this hostel is perfectly located for exploring it but perhapst next time I will choose something else.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 October 2012

The hostel/hotel has a very good location, 1min to Charles Bridge, 3mins to old town square. Many souvenir shops scattered everywhere, loved the cobble stones outside btw. We didnt try the breakfast but it looks Fine, average type, the receptionist both male and female were nice, we didnt have trouble like the other travellers. The quadruple room is not appealing, there was tiny mirror in the bathroom other than that was none. One full cabinet for clothes for 4 people. Two side tables. The double room however is lovely, well prepared. Enough cabinets, towels, soap, nice beds. Totally worth the price. Its noisy of course Im expecting that since its a prime location. Internet is sometimes slow and sometimes fast. The kitchen was functional, you can cook very well. Theres no elevator and i have stayed in 3rd floor, 6 turns with small steps. Also lights off on 3rd flr stairs. With all of these, i will still recommend and I will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Double room and just in 1st floor near reception if u have heavy bags, if not take 3rd floor, less n...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KarrenS9
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This was my first time in Prague and at this hostel. From the moment I contacted the hostel via email, the help and advice given to me by Kate, reception staff, was invaluable. She answered all my questions prior to arrival and both Kate and her other female colleagues on reception, also provided me with good tourist info during my stay in Prague. The hostel is extremely well located for all the attractions and Tesco, should you wish to purchase snacks!!! I had my own room with ensuite shower which was cosy, clean and very adequate. However, on the down side, I must agree with the comments made in a previous review by matthiusmattiopolis regarding the attitude of the male reception staff. I too found him extremely unhelpful and on the couple of occasions I did ask him a question, the answer was 'I don't know'. Unlike the girls, who put themselves out to find out the answers for me or made suggestions, he made no effort at all. So, I said, 'don't worry, I'll find someone who does know' and went on my way. Very disappointing when everyone else was so helpful. Apart from that, my stay at the hostel was most enjoyable and I would stay there again upon my next visit to Prague.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan H
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This hostel has got it all. Great location, perfect double room, good facilities. But I missed one really important thing during our three night stay; SLEEP. It is understandable that it can be noisy outside, but it was also VERY noisy inside. The houserules said we had to respect night silence in the hostel between 10 and 7. Well nobody followed these rules, and our room was next to the common area where people drank and played games all night long. Hostel is great, but especially for people who love getting no sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Guusjevdo
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The hostel is at the center of Prague, very close to Charles bridge (about 150m by walk). It is very fair and kind negotiative rate. Especially they are very helpful for traveller. I have many impressive experiences with this hostel, i like to share u one of them.
Kate, reservation office, she gave me very impressive services. I can expect her reply within a mins after sent email. As it was my first experience with a hostel, she helped me alot in many things. At the last mins when i was in Paris, i changed my plan to go Prague early in a day. While i only had 15min for internet free at the departure gate in the airport, i sent email to Kate to confirm my room and taxi limousine. She responded me within a few mins...all done. It's so much impressive for me.
When you are travelling, i think the important things are info, source of help. This hostel you can find helps and warm hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I arrived late at this hostel. I had told them I would be in around 10pm on a Saturday and was there around 9:45pm. When I got there the man behind the desk told me that I did not have a reservation and that every bed was taken and I could not have one. I explained that I had made a reservation and could produce the e-mail if I could set up my computer and show him, but he told me that all the beds were full and it didn't matter if I had made a reservation. When I asked for help to find another hostel all he said was they were all full in the area and I would have to leave the city center to find something. Needless to say I was extremely angry at this point. I thanked him for nothing and no help and left. Luckily, I found a hotel in the area that had a room, he was correct that all the other hostels in the city center were full. The man behind the counter was no help and difficult to deal with. I think that he had rented out my room to someone that arrived earlier, though I have no proof of this. I will never go back to this hostel and will never give it a good review. Being kicked to the street at 10pm at night on a Saturday is extremely unprofessional. Be forwarned that this hostel is not interested in helping people and may only be interested in money.

Room Tip: Do not go to this Hostel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank matthiusmattiopolis
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My Wife and I stayed in this Hostel in early June 2012. Staff very friendly and helpful. Knowledgable. Felt safe and here and very very convenient for touring the city. Beds comfortable. Breakfast was just fine for about five dollars. A buffet of sorts, so adequate food and variety.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple