“The Best”

Boathouse
Boathouse
Ranked #273 of 679 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 8 December 2008

The Boathouse is run by the most fantastic group of ladies! They are so nice and make you feel at home. They have a little kitchen where they cook breakfast extras (eggs, etc) and dinner for an extremely reasonable price. The only downside is its a 15 min tram ride into town, but it goes by quickly and its really not too far. I have stayed in a lot of hostels, and this one is by far one of my favorites. See for yourself why the walls are covered in pictures, letters, flags, and t-shirts of people who have stayed there...its unforgettable!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank CaliforniaBlairs

Reviewed 4 July 2008

The only downside to this hostel is the distance to the old centre which is about a 15 minute tram ride. Now if you prefer something a bit away from the city centre, I absolutely recommend this little gem. It's located along a river bank where you can kayak, bike, row, etc. I've stayed in enough hostels and could say that this is by far the cleanest and most hospitable hostel I've ever stayed. The rooms are cleaned daily and the towels are freshly cleaned. I was bummed that I had to check out early in the morning 'cause breakfast was amazing. When I told them that I would have to check out early, they left breakfast on my bed! Overall, I felt like I was staying at a B&B rather than a hostel, which is nice after being away from home for 2 months!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank faerytati
Reviewed 27 November 2007

This is all you need to know about the place:

My friend and I were 5 hours late for check-in (we missed our flight and had to catch a later one) and when we finally arrived at the hostel after walking through the cold and dark, we opened the front door, walked in, and one of the ladies peeked out and said "Hi, Brian. Welcome!!"

Unbelievable. :)

• Stayed: November 2003
Reviewed 23 June 2007

We stayed at the Boathouse in May 2007 for 4 nights. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The Boathouse was the best hostel we stayed in during our entire European trip. I heard that the hostel was a ways outside the center of Prague. In fact, its a 20 minute tram ride from the St. Charles bridge. I wouldn't have had it any other way. The hostel is overwhelmingly relaxing, right on the river. They cook homemade dinner each night for hostelers. Please stay here! Its worth it!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2007

When I was there, there were at least 2 Americans who had stayed at the hostel for MONTHS. That was a good first sign.

The place is fantastic. The ladies who work there treat you like their grandchild. The homemade food they cook for dinner is awesome and ridiculously cheap. Beer is super cheap. You can pay them pennies and they will do your laundry for you - wash, iron, fold - everything.

And when it comes to fun, meeting other people from everywhere, this hostel takes a back seat to almost no one. It was very easy to meet people. Huge groups went out every night. No one was left behind. We went to some great places, and had some awesome times. And the best part was that when you came back home, it actually felt like home.

The location is the only thing that hurt a bit. It is about a 15 minute tram right to the main square, though the tram stop is very close to the hostel. Make sure that you get your directions down pat before you go - I got a bit lost, and no one knows where this place is. Probably because it looks more like a big cottage than a business. Go! Great times that you will not soon forget.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank rappy7
Reviewed 1 April 2007

I backpacked Europe twice in a two year timeframe. My first visit to Prague I stayed at the Boathouse. Granted, the place is not in the middle of town or that easy to find, but it's WORTH THE TROUBLE. When I returned the following year, there was no question about where I would stay in Prague. Vera and Helena (the owners) treat you like family. The food is great, the place is clean, but it's much more than that...you feel like you are at home. Of all the places I stayed on my 28 day journey...the Boathouse will always have a special place in my mind. I recommend it to anyone even visiting Prague.

• Stayed: April 2003, travelled solo
1  Thank Vol_Traveler
Reviewed 16 April 2006

I backpacked through europe in 2001, and still remember my experience at the Boathouse. The hostel is great. Rooms are clean and efficient, and the owners are incredibly nice.

The have a small stand in the lobby with snacks, beer, chocolate, etc., which is open late at night. You take what you want, and give them money in the morning (honor policy).

One night it was freeeeeeezing outside (Snowstorm), so we decided to stay in. we had a little party in the cafeteria with the other hostel guests, and the owner provided us with free chips & snacks to go with our beer.

The best aspect of the hostel is the homecooked breakfast. I forget now how much it costs, but it is delicious! You get a hearty hot breakfast (usually some kind of eggs) plus yogurt, bread and spreads, and a pot of coffee. delicious. The ladies also cook dinner for a small price, but you have to let them know in advance if you will be back in time for dinner.

The only problem is the hostel is far from the center of town. you have to catch a tram, which is located a few min from the hostel, and takes about 20 minutes to get to the city center. but the tram is frequent, cheap, and runs all night, so it's not a major problem. The hostel is located in a very safe neighborhood.

• Stayed: March 2001