“Hostel Boathouse - MADE OUR VISIT”
Review of Boathouse

Boathouse
Boathouse
Ranked #273 of 672 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 10 January 2009

SUPER! friendly family-like atmosphere. Helena and her staff do everything to make life simple and your trip great. The place is spotless, beds comfortable and dorm-like bathing facilities totally private and extremely clean. The food is plentiful and tasty. Dinners are offered but must be reserved in the morning. They are plain, local cooking but plentiful. The common/dining room does not have easy chairs but audio equipment, tv, books and games are plentiful. The walls are adorned with items of gratitude sent to these ladies from visitors in appreciation of their hospitality.

Tram N17 to stop Nadrazi Holesovice gets you there - about a 7 min walk to the hostel along a sportspath or a 2 min drive. At night the walk can be scary but it is perfectly safe. A tree-lined sports path adjacent to a golf course. There are many steps up to the hostel proper and a snackbar below the building where the locals come to eat. This can be a means of a pleasant evening alongside the river meeting the locals.

Only positive things to say here by 2 lifetime yh members in their 60's; highly recommend the place to anyone. If you are lucky; and a couple; they might give you a room to yourself. We had a 4-bed room but only charged for 2. The place filled up but they let us be alone.

Should you go there, say hello to Helena and her ladies from Sandra and Joe.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Boathouse

Reviewed 8 December 2008

The Boathouse is run by the most fantastic group of ladies! They are so nice and make you feel at home. They have a little kitchen where they cook breakfast extras (eggs, etc) and dinner for an extremely reasonable price. The only downside is its a 15 min tram ride into town, but it goes by quickly and its really not too far. I have stayed in a lot of hostels, and this one is by far one of my favorites. See for yourself why the walls are covered in pictures, letters, flags, and t-shirts of people who have stayed there...its unforgettable!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank CaliforniaBlairs
Reviewed 4 July 2008

The only downside to this hostel is the distance to the old centre which is about a 15 minute tram ride. Now if you prefer something a bit away from the city centre, I absolutely recommend this little gem. It's located along a river bank where you can kayak, bike, row, etc. I've stayed in enough hostels and could say that this is by far the cleanest and most hospitable hostel I've ever stayed. The rooms are cleaned daily and the towels are freshly cleaned. I was bummed that I had to check out early in the morning 'cause breakfast was amazing. When I told them that I would have to check out early, they left breakfast on my bed! Overall, I felt like I was staying at a B&B rather than a hostel, which is nice after being away from home for 2 months!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank faerytati
Reviewed 27 November 2007

This is all you need to know about the place:

My friend and I were 5 hours late for check-in (we missed our flight and had to catch a later one) and when we finally arrived at the hostel after walking through the cold and dark, we opened the front door, walked in, and one of the ladies peeked out and said "Hi, Brian. Welcome!!"

Unbelievable. :)

• Stayed: November 2003
Reviewed 23 June 2007

We stayed at the Boathouse in May 2007 for 4 nights. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The Boathouse was the best hostel we stayed in during our entire European trip. I heard that the hostel was a ways outside the center of Prague. In fact, its a 20 minute tram ride from the St. Charles bridge. I wouldn't have had it any other way. The hostel is overwhelmingly relaxing, right on the river. They cook homemade dinner each night for hostelers. Please stay here! Its worth it!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2007

When I was there, there were at least 2 Americans who had stayed at the hostel for MONTHS. That was a good first sign.

The place is fantastic. The ladies who work there treat you like their grandchild. The homemade food they cook for dinner is awesome and ridiculously cheap. Beer is super cheap. You can pay them pennies and they will do your laundry for you - wash, iron, fold - everything.

And when it comes to fun, meeting other people from everywhere, this hostel takes a back seat to almost no one. It was very easy to meet people. Huge groups went out every night. No one was left behind. We went to some great places, and had some awesome times. And the best part was that when you came back home, it actually felt like home.

The location is the only thing that hurt a bit. It is about a 15 minute tram right to the main square, though the tram stop is very close to the hostel. Make sure that you get your directions down pat before you go - I got a bit lost, and no one knows where this place is. Probably because it looks more like a big cottage than a business. Go! Great times that you will not soon forget.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank rappy7
Reviewed 1 April 2007

I backpacked Europe twice in a two year timeframe. My first visit to Prague I stayed at the Boathouse. Granted, the place is not in the middle of town or that easy to find, but it's WORTH THE TROUBLE. When I returned the following year, there was no question about where I would stay in Prague. Vera and Helena (the owners) treat you like family. The food is great, the place is clean, but it's much more than that...you feel like you are at home. Of all the places I stayed on my 28 day journey...the Boathouse will always have a special place in my mind. I recommend it to anyone even visiting Prague.

• Stayed: April 2003, travelled solo