“Clean and comfortable, Sir Toby's was a home away from home, and their friendly staff made us feel welcome.”
Review of Sir Toby's Hostel

Sir Toby's Hostel
Ranked #12 of 686 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I spent 10 days in Prague a few winters ago, as a sort of "writing retreat" with two other friends. The three of us stayed in a private room with its own (incredibly clean bathroom) that was for four people and we used the fourth bed to pile our coats on.

I loved Sir Toby's, from the little alcove by the window where a small table sat, perfect for breakfast, to the bathroom, which my friends and I kept joking was our favorite part of the trip. (It was cool because the shower was just a corner of the grey-walled bathroom, and the huge showerhead was, like, five feet above our heads so that it always felt like I was showering under my own personal indoor raincloud.) Anyway, enough about the bathroom.

The location is not in the "center" of things, but it wasn't that far either. I was always happy to be back in "my" neighborhood after gallivanting around Old Town or whatever. There was a nice market just down a few blocks from the hostel with food stands, clothing stands, a grocery store, and a post office. When I needed a new battery for my (film) camera, I got one from some guy selling all sorts of batteries at one of the stands. I would get a big loaf of rye bread and some cheese spread and cheap pate and keep it out on the ledge outside our window (to keep it cold). Okay, I could have put it in the fridge in the hostel but I was feeling lazy.

The bread was about the only great thing about the food in Prague. Sorry, but I am one of those people that has to eat "ethnic foods" for all my meals, I am used to eating Thai, Indian, Korean, Mexican everyday, and it was quite a shock to my system and morale when I was confronted with Eastern European fare everywhere I went. Granted there were Thai restaurants and such, but to be honest it tasted just like all the other food--salty and vinegar. In fact, those two ingredients seem to be all the Czechs use in their food. Any time I asked for hot sauce or peppers, all they had was Tabasco, IF I was lucky--which only added to the vinegary taste of everything.

That's all right, I drowned my food sorrows in pivo (beer) every night and all was well. God, I loved the pubs around Sir Toby's. I didn't actually like the pub in the hostel all that much; it was great to grab a beer while doing work on my laptop, but not great, I thought, as a social hangout. My friends and I went out to a local pub down the street and sat smoking in a corner with the locals, we put Amy Winehouse and any "Czech" music we could find on the jukebox and had a blast.

Back to the actual hostel, I know some people were annoyed about cleaning people entering their rooms while they were still in them, and we did have the same experience even though we had booked a private room for ourselves. This did not bother me though, as I have stayed in other hostels. Look, they have a limited time in which to clean the rooms, they're just hardworking people who don't make that much money, and it won't kill you to have them in your room for a few minutes to tidy up while you're there. The lady that cleaned our room was very quiet and respectful, but she had a job to do and our presence wasn't going to do anything to deter her.

I think I've said enough. Here's a link to my <a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/slideshow/23108/10_days_in_prague.html?cat=16">Prague Photos</a>, if you're interested.

Unfortunately, all my photos of the actual hostel were on a roll I did not get a picture cd of--if you have a film camera like me, don't use the processing place across the street from Sir Toby's unless your Czech is better than a tourists. I tried to ask if they could give me a pic cd but I could not make myself understood. Oh, well. It was cheaper to get it processed at home anyway.

Oh, the Italian restaurant on the same street was all right. Actually, all the Italian food in Prague was surprisingly decent. If you're like me, bring along some Korean ramyun packes in your suitcase so you can eat something Asian and spicy while you're there. Sir Toby's has a great kitchen.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank NineCircles

Reviewed 14 July 2009

We had a great time at Sir Toby's! The location is a little bit off the track, but the front staff were SO helpful and drew us a map of all the tram routes to the major attractions. They would also go out of their way to help if you had any questions about the city. You can even buy transport tickets from the front desk, which was very helpful.

The hostel itself is in a small street near supermarkets and a few cosy restaurants. It's spotlessly clean and has a nice homely feel. We opted for a private room which had a private shower. We didn't spend much time in the room, but it was comfy and had everything we needed! The wifi was a nice touch.

Oh and we loved the little bar in the basement. It sold inexpensive veggie meals and great beer! We got a tad bored of the breakfast after a couple of days, but it's not like there's a shortage of places to eat in the area.

If you want a nice dinner, then Pet Penez a couple of doors down is great. Nice atmosphere and pretty reasonable.

Overall i'd recommend the hostel for both young and not so young!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Sir Toby offers pleasure and leisure for over 10 years now... First time I stayed there was 7 years ago, 2002 and every time I visit Prague (about 10 times already) I stay there again. It's a big hostel with around 120 beds but you don't feel like it. Reception is always friendly, they can even plan your day and show something new regardless how much you know the city, they know even more... :D

Location wise it's not in the central about 20 minutes to the Old Town, but the hostel is surrounded by good and cheap(!) restaurants, not those rip-off expensive ones at the Old Town square... and the Czech public transportation is excellent, even during the night. Looking forward to visit them again!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank JimboBudapest
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Stayed at Sir Toby's for 10 nights. First time we have ever stayed in a hostel and our experience here was absolutely marvelous. Staff were extremely helpful (cheers to Ehab, Richard, and Satya), room was clean, location was perfect. Pub is a great place to relax after sightseeing all day.

Easy to get anywhere in Prague on the public transportation with tram stops close by. Neighbourhood restaurants were very good. They have everything you need (internet plus free wi-fi if you bring your own, laundry, breakfast (100 Kc for all you can eat), pub (happy hour!!), non-smoking, and a wonderful backyard patio.

Does have lots of the "younger" crowd (college age and recent graduates) but for a couple of older ones (like us), we still felt at home.

May not get back to Prague but if we do, I would stay at Sir Toby's as my first choice! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank greybeard09
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My stay at Sir Toby's was overall a good one. The bad points were one staff member (a Czech guy) was extremely rude and condescending not to just myself but also to many others. The other staff were great and very helpful though. The location wasn't that great, but I knew that at the time of my reservation. THe trams were easy to use and close by, and it was nice to be away from the tourists. The restaurants in the area were better and cheaper than in the center. The prices at the pub weren't good at all.

The hostel was nice and clean, the breakfast was great and I liked that they had a security lockers for your valuables by the front desk. I also liked the spacious dorms.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank prairiegirlwpg
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I stayed at Sir Toby's for three nights and i have had the time of my life. This hostel leans towards to the social side of backpacking but it doesn't forget about the comfort side.

The whole place was extremely clean and tidy and staff was remarkably helpful. The dormitory i stayed was pretty big,it was cleaned up and aired throughly everyday as well as the common areas.I couldn't tell there was ten people sleeping in there. Bathrooms and toilets always worked in order. Water pressure in the shower was good,there was hot water everytime. Beds were extremely comfortable with clean sheets and soft pillows. And the big secure boxes under the beds came in handy for storing my luggage and other valuables.

The lounge hall was really cozy and the staff answered all my questions in a very friendly manner. There were also computers to use and guide books guests could borrow.Free wifi worked problem free and was very fast.

Location is a little out of the city.You need to take the tram and go for 14 stops.But public transportation is cheap and they sell day passes at the reception. There were some nice and very cheap restaurants around the hostel and the area wasnt dodgy at all.

The greatest thing about this place is the tiny pub downstairs. I have met so many great people there. It was very small with a common sitting area so people tend to socialize easily. Drinks at the pub were extremely cheap and oh the breakfast was much better than any other hostel/hostel i ever stayed. It was served in the pub and for a few bucks you could have bread,eggs,jams,cheese, veggies,o.j,milk,coffee,tea,omelettes and pancakes as much as you want.

The reason i give three stars is the annoying experience i had with the owner.During check in I wasn't told when check out time was. So i exceeded it for about 10 minutes.He came upstairs to the dorm and started yelling about i had to leave in five minutes or he would kick me out and i would be charged for another night. I went downstairs with my bags immediately and he wouldnt change his mind about charging me. He said we had to make a deal and that he had to charge me for half night. I got really pissed because nobody said anything during check in and as i had been travelling for 3 months, i couldn't know about the check out times and firm rules of every hostel i stayed. After arguing for fifteen minutes and taking a lot of attention from other guests he let me go.I thought he was really unprofessional and extremely rude.

Overall i had a good experience and i would recommend Sir Tobys.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank chloeshiny
SirTobys, Manager at Sir Toby's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2009

Hello,

Thank you for having taken the time to rate and write such a lengthy review. It is always great for us to read about our guests experiences! We take guest feedback very seriously and use it to work on improvements for the future.

In response to your bad experience during check out time:
While I do not personally know of your incident, I can say that we always inform our guests during check in what time they must vacate the room by. It is also included in the terms of booking on all online portals, as well as in our email confirmations. Further in every room there is a sign of important information which also includes the check out time. I am sorry if you had missed this, but we try very hard to make it clear for everyone. I am also sorry if our staff behaved the way you reported, this is not our normal way of interacting with our guests.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you some other time in the future.

Sir Toby's Management

Reviewed 4 January 2009

Location: 10 mins tram ride to the city center. Takes only 2 mins to get to the tram stop.

Nice italian restaurant just beside the hostel (lucky luciano).

Great staff - very useful map provided upon arrival.

Party hostel, yet quiet, with a cool bar to meet fellow travellers.

Good breakfeast for 100 Ck.

Nice neighbourhood, clean room and bathrooms.

Overall, an excelent choice to visit Prague (If you want to be located in the centre, then don't stay here, though).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jndantas