“stay here if you can”
Review of Sir Toby's Hostel

Sir Toby's Hostel
Ranked #13 of 691 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Great price, great staff, great pub, great breakfast. Secure parking is a big plus (a few blocks away). The only negative is location. It is not in the tourist area but a short tram ride will take you there. It is really no big deal.
I even messed up my reservation and the staff worked with me to fix it...they could have legitimately just charged me more but instead they did the right thing and helped me out. Stay here...it is worth the tram ride.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rmwjr

Reviewed 14 February 2010

As soon as you walk through the door it feels warm and inviting. The staff here are great and very helpful - they sell metro/tram tickets at reception to make life easier. Delicious, cheap vegetarian meal on offer every night with a free beer.

Slightly out of the main centre in Prague, but very easy to tram in and a walk from Cross Club!

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Don't let the location deter you!!! It is located a little out of the downtown area, but the buses go to the city really quickly and allow you to see more of Prague than you would normally. I met some great people at this hostel and had an awesome time! I'm now going to Australia to meet up with the friends I met here. It was clean, quiet, and has a wonderful kitchen area. The breakfast in the morning was huge! The staff are helpful! I have great memories from this place!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I had a private room here so I can't speak for the dorms but I heard they were clean and nice and my own room was great--simply decorated but with a few nice touches like reclaimed furniture and pictures instead of the standard Ikea decor. I would absolutely recommend this an an affordable alternative to a hotel.

The location isn't within walking distance of the main sights, but it is in walking distance of the very easy-to-navigate tram system. They have maps and tram tickets available at the hostel, as well as a lot of other helpful materials and services for travelers (internet access, airport shuttle, brochures and maps for hostels in other towns and cities).

The atmosphere is pretty social. There's a downstairs bar that also serves very reasonable breakfast and dinner, as well as a garden area out back. They're very sensitive about noise levels in the later hours though--I guess neighbors have complained.

Generally I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Everyone spoke English. They were great about letting me check into my room early. The single complaint I have is that one staff member is very prickly. He clearly thinks everyone he has to speak to is an idiot (this includes when he speaking . I found it fairly amusing myself but I imagine that a frazzled traveler might not think it funny.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Very clean hostel, quiet location, close to ammenities, excellent price and very good staff !

Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Which are both so helpful for traveler! waking up with a fresh made coffee is almost luxery, what else to ask for? English speaking stuff have also answersed many of our weird questions, they are always friendly. Highly recommend this place, wish we had stayed longer!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I spent 10 days in Prague a few winters ago, as a sort of "writing retreat" with two other friends. The three of us stayed in a private room with its own (incredibly clean bathroom) that was for four people and we used the fourth bed to pile our coats on.

I loved Sir Toby's, from the little alcove by the window where a small table sat, perfect for breakfast, to the bathroom, which my friends and I kept joking was our favorite part of the trip. (It was cool because the shower was just a corner of the grey-walled bathroom, and the huge showerhead was, like, five feet above our heads so that it always felt like I was showering under my own personal indoor raincloud.) Anyway, enough about the bathroom.

The location is not in the "center" of things, but it wasn't that far either. I was always happy to be back in "my" neighborhood after gallivanting around Old Town or whatever. There was a nice market just down a few blocks from the hostel with food stands, clothing stands, a grocery store, and a post office. When I needed a new battery for my (film) camera, I got one from some guy selling all sorts of batteries at one of the stands. I would get a big loaf of rye bread and some cheese spread and cheap pate and keep it out on the ledge outside our window (to keep it cold). Okay, I could have put it in the fridge in the hostel but I was feeling lazy.

The bread was about the only great thing about the food in Prague. Sorry, but I am one of those people that has to eat "ethnic foods" for all my meals, I am used to eating Thai, Indian, Korean, Mexican everyday, and it was quite a shock to my system and morale when I was confronted with Eastern European fare everywhere I went. Granted there were Thai restaurants and such, but to be honest it tasted just like all the other food--salty and vinegar. In fact, those two ingredients seem to be all the Czechs use in their food. Any time I asked for hot sauce or peppers, all they had was Tabasco, IF I was lucky--which only added to the vinegary taste of everything.

That's all right, I drowned my food sorrows in pivo (beer) every night and all was well. God, I loved the pubs around Sir Toby's. I didn't actually like the pub in the hostel all that much; it was great to grab a beer while doing work on my laptop, but not great, I thought, as a social hangout. My friends and I went out to a local pub down the street and sat smoking in a corner with the locals, we put Amy Winehouse and any "Czech" music we could find on the jukebox and had a blast.

Back to the actual hostel, I know some people were annoyed about cleaning people entering their rooms while they were still in them, and we did have the same experience even though we had booked a private room for ourselves. This did not bother me though, as I have stayed in other hostels. Look, they have a limited time in which to clean the rooms, they're just hardworking people who don't make that much money, and it won't kill you to have them in your room for a few minutes to tidy up while you're there. The lady that cleaned our room was very quiet and respectful, but she had a job to do and our presence wasn't going to do anything to deter her.

I think I've said enough. Here's a link to my <a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/slideshow/23108/10_days_in_prague.html?cat=16">Prague Photos</a>, if you're interested.

Unfortunately, all my photos of the actual hostel were on a roll I did not get a picture cd of--if you have a film camera like me, don't use the processing place across the street from Sir Toby's unless your Czech is better than a tourists. I tried to ask if they could give me a pic cd but I could not make myself understood. Oh, well. It was cheaper to get it processed at home anyway.

Oh, the Italian restaurant on the same street was all right. Actually, all the Italian food in Prague was surprisingly decent. If you're like me, bring along some Korean ramyun packes in your suitcase so you can eat something Asian and spicy while you're there. Sir Toby's has a great kitchen.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends