“Buyer beware”

Ranked #73 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Chicago, Illinois
“Buyer beware”
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel on October 9, 10, and 11 of this year. The hotel was very beautiful, and the location was perfect. When we booked on booking.com, the price was $1249 USD for 3 nights. No info was given breaking down nightly costs. In reading the reviews on this sight, we felt that perhaps it was a very luxurious hotel as we had never paid this much before. In the end, if the hotel were $250 or even $275 per night, we would only have positive memories. The breakfast was mediocre, our room was just above a busy sidewalk when we asked for a quiet room, but these were minor details. When we checked out, my husband was talking with Veronika at reception, and giving feedback that the hotel was not worth what we were paying. If she had politely accepted the feedback, we would have left feeling that we need to do better research in the future when we book. But instead she became defensive and angry, raising her voice and telling my husband that, in her vast travel experience at 24 years old, the prices are fair. I was finishing breakfast as my husband was having this conversation about 10 feet away in reception. I could hear him say, "I don't want to have a fight. I just want to give feedback." His voice was quiet. She was shouting. Then she worsened the situation by saying that the first night was 1853 CZK ($92), the second 3310 CZK ($164), and the third night was 18,737 CZK ($930!). This of course left us feeling completely robbed. Had we know of this outrageous cost differential, we would not have stayed here. It was our last day in Prague, and unfortunately, we left on a sour note. I would never return to a hotel with such questionable pricing, and I feel that Veronika has some serious problems with being in the hospitality business.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HowieJodie
neruda1, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear guest,

at first I would like to thank you that you visit our Design Hotel Neruda and thank you for your review.

Hereby I apologize for your trouble with our a former employee. I'm very ashamed for Miss Veronica. This girl worked for us only a short time. We are the new operators of Design Hotel Neruda. Immediately after your departure she was released. Please accept once again my apologies on behalf of the hotel.

I would like to offer free stay in the Design Hotel Neruda for you or for your family if you visit Prague again.

Thank you very much if accept our apologize.

With best regards.

Michael Pazout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked this hotel through lastminute.com as I thought the photos of the hotel looked really good and I certainly was not disappointed!

The hotel was clean and tidy and the hotel looks exactly like the pictures. We stayed in room 108 which had a lovely big bath and very comfortable bed. Considering we were right under the castle I thought the room might be very small but there certainly was lots of room for us.

Breakfast offered plenty of choice with a hot option, cold meats, cheeses, cereals and plenty to drink. I was very impressed with the selection.

The hotel is up a hill under the castle so might prove difficult for people with walking difficulities but for me it was perfect as I could walk all around Prague each day and not have to get a tram/metro.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Natz07
Dear Guests,

thank you for another possitive feedback. This is exactly why we enjoy our work - satisfied customers. We will welcome you back at Design Hotel Neruda anytime.

Best regards,

Niteroi, RJ
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Dear administrators
I would like to thank the Hotel Neruda Prague for the wonderful stay we spent the days 25 to October 30.
The hotel is beautiful, the service impeccable and the breakfast delicious!
Congratulations!
We especially thank Mrs. Monica who was a guardian angel fallen from heaven!
His attention and care with our problem of a lack of flight from Prague to Madrid and his prompt action and solution over the internet in transferring to another flight on the same day with a connection in Paris allowed us to meet our commitments the next day!
Thank Mrs. Monica!
Congratulations to Hotel Prague Nerudova for having this fantastic person on your staff!

very grateful
Rene and Karla Ugalde

2 Thank ReneU232
Dear guest,

We were pleased to read your nice and detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at the Design Hotel Neruda - thank you for taking the time to write and post it on our TripAdvisor page.
It was great to hear that you found so many aspects of the hotel to your liking, and we also appreciate your positive comments about our staff.
We hope to see you again!

Kind regards,

Yekaterinburg, Russia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in the room # 28, pretty nice and very clean. Free and fast WiFi. Breakfasts were really excellent! Staff was very friendly and helpful, the castle is just around the corner, however a little bit far from the Charles Bridge, but it was a pleasure to walk 15 minutes along the beatiful streets of this really fairy-tale city :) Praha - I am in love with you!

4 Thank Elena M
Michael P, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guests,

Best regards,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here in june....brilliant hotel in an absolutely beautiful location (Lesser quarter, just behind the castle)...Staff amazing, room amazing, once we were home, couldn't wait to book again.....to our dismay, ....price had gone up 100%....£160 for three nights had gone up to £305 for the same time of year!!!!! Now,....this hotel was worth the £160 we paid....add on 10, 20, even 25% and it would still be great value......but nearly a 100% increase is a massive disappointment!!! Was so looking forward to staying here again but....at that price, will have too look elsewhere....massive shame, because it is such a nice place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mallambert

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have just had a visit to this nice but quirky hotel. The rooms were very different but we could see that from the website. My wife got lost a few times to our room as its a labyrinth or maze in the hotel. The rooms should have tea and coffee making facilities to improve the stay. Must say thanks to the staff who were very helpful

London, UK
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Staff were helpful before my trip and on arrival - really friendly - though no mention was made of the spa on offer (I'd booked ages ago and forgot about it). My room was top of the house with low angled ceilings and lights (ouch) with bath (with only a daft handheld shower head) and sink in bedroom, everything in weird places really. Bit of a trek to get to room, beautiful staircases but tricky specially with bags. Breakfast was okay - little changes each day but was enough to set me up for the day - tho the coffee was dreadful. The aircon unit was a complete waste of time and it was quite hot when I went. Had issues getting the free wifi in room so on last night, I was offered a new room [101] much preferred it, completely separate bathroom, but no windows/aspect only onto staff staircase. However, concerns about housekeeping as the bin had not been emptied, yet there was a saniband on the toilet; the sheets weren't big enough for the bed - little things but annoying!
Oh - look out for the iron - I borrowed it first day and it almost ruined my linen dress by spitting out all manner of crap! Reverted to my own travel iron after that ...
Located on a hill (Nerodova) up to castle so a bit far from everything else but I got by on foot and managed without any public transport.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LindaWE20
Michael P, General Manager at Design Hotel Neruda, responded to this review, 15 October 2013