“Very nice and well located hostel!”
Review of Hostel Mango

Ranked #37 of 651 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Leipzig, Sachsen, Germany
“Very nice and well located hostel!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hostel is very nice! The room was confortable and clean. However the bathroom had everything in the same room (shower, lavatory and toilet), but not such a problem actually.
Staff very very nice and friendly, very helpful. Good prices, good breakfast, very well located - near Charles Bridge and Malostranska metro station. I really recommend this hostel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

At the start here I have to admit to being an older traveller with limited hostel experience; this probably colors what I have to say.

There were a number of good things about this hostel.
- It is very well located, very near the Charles Bridge and the rest of the “tourist” part of Prague.
- It is fairly easy to get to (a moderate walk with luggage from the Malastranska subway station).
- It has a decent shared kitchen allowing you to do your own food preparation, stovetop, microwave, but no oven
- It has self-serve laundry facilities (see below for more on this….)

However I have significant complaints about the noise. Two things:

- There is an open courtyard from which noise easily travelled to at least our room (a two person room at the top of the stairs)
- More significantly, there is a bar downstairs that produces a LOT of noise. On our first night there was someone playing trumpet until 2 AM until I went down and complained directly to the trumpeter. On the third night there was a lot of noise off and on to at least 1:30 AM.

So for two nights out of the four I stayed I got very poor sleep due to the noise.

When I complained about the bar at the front desk on the two noisy nights they told me that the bar was separate from them and they had no control of it. That may be; but there was a direct door between the bar and the hostel, the hostel provided the bar with their WC facilities, and the hostel’s advertising proudly boasts a bar among their facilities. But regardless of whether they have control of it or not, having a noisy bar in the same building as a place where people are sleeping is a recipe for disaster.

I do have to note that someone else we knew was staying in another room in the hostel and did not have as much problem with noise. But then they are experienced hostellers and may just be more tolerant; or perhaps some of the rooms are worse than others.

On some of the other reviews I have seen complaints about the laundry facilities. I used them, and found them to work OK. They were a little expensive. Also, the front desk did not seem to be equipped to explain how to use them to me. They were European washers and dryers, quite unfamiliar to a North American such as myself. But I figured them out, and my clothes were washed. So overall I found this to be a big plus, as I discovered that laundry facilities are not at all easy to come by for a traveller in Europe.

Room Tip: Do NOT take the two bed room at the top of the stairs if you have any desire to sleep at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tofino_Rob
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a pretty nice hostel.. Its location is great, only just round the corner from the Charles Bridge and not too far away from the metro stop. A friend and I were sharing a twin room, which was great. The beds were really comfy and the pillows were great. Lockers are provided in each room and the wifi connection is good, even if you are staying on the top floor. Unfortunately, we had to share a shower in a dorm just across the landing from us. It was a pretty big dorm, so nipping in before everyone woke up wasn't always easy. Furthermore, we were given an electronic key to access this room, which never seemed to work. We had to go down to reception at least twice to get the problem fixed. It was a shame that breakfast was not provided, and seemed overpriced for what they were offering.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I really don't feel like giving a thousand word description of my experience so here it is summed up:

The good:
Clean rooms.
Great location
Great kitchen with lots of free stuff.

The bad:
Generic.
Poor atmosphere.
The couches in the living room smell worse than my dog's bed.
No breakfast included.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at Hostel Mango for 2 nights and based on my experience I can just tell you that the staff here don´t have any idea of how to threat a customer.
We arrived at the hostel pretty late on a Saturday and after doingthe check-in the guy at the reception indicated us that our room was in another building, a new one which according to him was 2 minutes walking from the hostel. So He just said go to the mainroad; when I asked him what number he said dont worry is just next to MCDonalds.
After bein unable to find it, I came back to the hostel leaving my friend in the middle of the street at 2 am in Prague. The guy at the reception apologised to me and said sorry the number is the 27 and your room is in th 5th floor. I came back and number 27 didnt exist. After this my friend headed back to the hostel again and this guy just asked her to bring all our stuff back.

Finally we got our room after two hours and all of this becasue the guy didnt know where our room was located (which was in the hostel of course).
Next morning I asked to have hour two hours back so we could have a late check-in and the girl at the reception dindt like this, and although we got it her attitude was very bad.

I would not recommend to use the washing mashines, not only becasue is expensive, but it is so confusing that even the staff dont know how to use them!!.

Good points about this hostel, the location and that it seems very clean. Apart from this better avoid it!!

Room Tip: Do not use the washing machines here, they are expensive and the staff cant even explain you how to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Hostel Mango is quite easy to locate, so you probably won't have any trouble finding it.
It is located in a very cute street and the exterior looks very nice.
The hostel is five minutes away by foot from the famous Karl's bridge which means that the old town and almost every touristic attraction are within walking distance, absolutely perfect!

Once arrived and checked in, you are welcomed by quite a few flights of stairs (it depends on which room you get though). Therefore, traveling with a large and heavy suitcase could be a bit of a hassle.

The rooms are cozy and warm, the bathrooms are quite clean and the hostel offers a really nice communal area in the basement where also the kitchen is located.
The staff is amazing and really helpful and the wifi also worked properly.

I had such a nice time staying in this hostel, met lots of lovely people and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AiaSierra
Hostel M, Manager at Hostel Mango, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing Your experience and leaving such a great review. We are very glad to hear You liked our services. We do our best to provide for you the most hospitable and comfortable accommodation in Prague and on Your next visit you’ll like it even more.
Sincerely yours,
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The best part about this hostel is the location: it's extremely close to the Charles Bridge, making it an easy walking distance to many of the main tourist attractions.
Comfy bed. Clean. Plugs and reading lights for each bed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Hostel M, Manager at Hostel Mango, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for Your review. We are very glad to hear You like stay in our hostel. The Hostel Mango improves its services from day to day to make Your stay much better. A lot of improvements are being prepared for the next season, so we look forward to see You at Hostel Mango again!
Sincerely yours,