“Home from home in a dream location”

The Green Garland Pension
Ranked #24 of 361 Prague B&B and Inns
Nelson, New Zealand
“Home from home in a dream location”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Wonderful location, excellent amenities and a generous breakfast, but the management and staff must be Green Garland's greatest asset. I stayed for 6 nights in August, and from the time I booked the room their service (responding to emails, organising a taxi to meet me at the airport etc) they couldn't have been more friendly and obliging. I had a problem with my ATM card one day, and Martina made phone calls for me and helped me sort it out. She also carried my suitcase up to my room when I arrived without my asking, and back down the day I left - city laws for heritage buildings like this mean that they can't install an elevator, and the stairs are steep!

The location (5 mins walk from the Old Town Square) was ideal for me as an older solo traveller - shops, cafes, and most of the main attractions were a short walk away, and as I was suffering from jetlag when I arrived, it was great to be able to walk back to the pension for a mid-afternoon snooze for the first couple of days, and then go out again later. It was also a plus to be able to make a cup of tea or coffee in the communal lounge area - everything is supplied, including a small fridge.

Other reviewers have commented on street noise - it could be noisy in the early hours of the morning, but as it wasn't hot enough when I was there to need to leave windows open, this wasn't too much of a problem.

I can't recommend Green Garland highly enough - its ratings are well-deserved.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kokako8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Clean, great value, huge rooms, wonderful location, generous breakfast. We had adjoining rooms which provided plenty of room. I would have given it 5+ stars if not for the street noise. It was extremely hot during our visit, so we had to leave the windows open during the night and although it appeared to be a pretty quiet street, it echoed excessively and must have been a shortcut for the bar scene. I admit that I am a fairly light sleeper, and it was quite disruptful for me. Our teenagers didn't seem to notice.

Room Tip: Away from the front street
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I always look for the guests rating first before I look for a hotel.The stars don't really mean much to me.So I only found good reviews about it so I booked the room a day before we went to Prague...The first thing that I loved about it is the GIGANTIC wooden door of the hotel and you actually get a key for it!talking about an authentic Prague experience!The rooms are very clean and very big and the bathrooms are very modern and there is a towel warmer(LOVE IT).You can't beat the location.The lady that owns the place is unbelievably nice and speaks perfect English!The breakfast consists of sandwiches with freshly sliced tomatoes, cucumbers,cheese and cold meats.There is tea,coffee,pastries and cornflakes.Perfect way to start your sightseeing in Prague.The only downside is that there is no parking at this location.I booked this hotel because it was very well priced...but if you come with a car you will pay a lot of money for parking.And the parking is pretty far away from the hotel.If you want an authentic Prague experience this is your place!You also have to be aware of the exchange bureaus in Prague.They will try to lie to you and give you less money for your dollars/euroes so make sure that you check the exchange rates before you go.Usually once when you turn your back to them and tell them you will go somewhere else they offer you a better price!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Villy2013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights in late april, and we had a great stay. The room was large with a nice bathroom. We were less than five minutes to the old town square by walking, but we were far enough from the bars to not be bothered by the noise all night. The owners were very nice, and let us check in early and drop our bags off while we walked around the city. We had a midnight train out of Prague, and they let us store our bags at the pension all day, and they even let us relax in their lounge for a while before our late train. The price was great for the location. I would recommend this place to friends looking for a great B&B in prague. The service was excellent! Thanks so much for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

**3 1/2 Stars**

The Green Garland checks all the boxes for a good hotel. It's clean, it's a great value, the location can't be beat, and the staff is welcoming and helpful.

The rooms are basic, but quite large, with modern bathrooms. There's no reason, however, to spend too much time inside because the sights of Prague are just steps away. The Old Town Square is just minutes away as is the Charles Bridge. The Prague Castle is easily walkable, but the tram is nearby for those who don't want to make the uphill trek. (It's worth walking at least one way.)

There is a kitchen available for guests to use--one reviewer mentions that there's no microwave. There is, however, one in the breakfast room, which is locked during the day. One need only ask one of the helpful staff members for access. Problem solved.

The hotel is 20-25 minutes from the airport, and the hotel staff can arrange transportation. If I ever find myself back in Prague, I see no reason to look for accommodations elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Wonderful little place right in the heart of Prague! The breakfast room was on the ground floor, and the pension had rooms with central sitting areas (with a small fridge and coffee maker) on the first and second floors.

The room we had was quiet and clean but small, but then we were on the top floor of a 500-year-old building. The bathroom was fine with the usual European shower. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was good with plenty to choose from. There is even a cold beer selection for those late night “cravings.”

This pension is in a great location (right between Charles Bridge and Old Town Square) for a great price – you really can’t beat it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this pleasant pension; it definitely enhanced our vacation in Prague.

As others said, it is a great location and price. The building is clean, bright, and cheerful. (Neat history too - be sure to read the write-up in the folder in your room). We were given three keys - one for the street door, one for our room, and one for a little room next to their office with a seating area and a fridge you can buy drinks from. The staff was very friendly and helpful and spoke English.

Our double room on the second floor (no elevator) was huge. There is no A/C, but you can ask for a portable fan at no extra cost. We only asked for it so that our young child would have a little air circulation at night. They were also able to provide a "Pack 'n' Play"-style portable crib.

The breakfast was a very nice variety of foods, including filling foods like cheeses, non-sweet breads, yogurt, etc.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family