“beautiful small toy shop”

Rocking Horse Toy Shop
Ranked #33 of 400 Shopping in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1999, this tiny boutique in the upper castle area has offered a large, hand-picked assortment of genuine Czech and European toys and gifts, including wooden toys, wind-up toys, art supplies, model cars, puppets and marionettes. It`s a little hard to find, tucked under an arcade near the Loreto Square, so look for the wooden rocking horse above the door. Owner Ivan Karhan will be happy to help you select the perfect memento or gift for a loved one. English spoken.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 9 July 2014

visit here if you can. because it is not really like the other standard toy shops. you can find best gifts for your friends. also the shop owner is really helpful and kind.

Patricia G, Owner at Rocking Horse Toy Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I remember you, and can tell you it is very pleasant for me to have customers like you who enjoy the toys and the shop. With best wishes, Ivan Karhan

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

On a really humid day and with just a stroller it was a nightmare to get here! It was all uphill on cobbled streets. I had read on trip advisor about this place and because I was travelling with my 10 month old, I thought it would be a worthwhile trip. I personally prefer wooden toys to cheap ,plastic, factory made products.

The shop had a certain charm to it, and some of the wooden toys were really beautiful but I guess from what I had read about this place that I expected more. Still, if you want a beautiful gift for a child this is the place to go. I also thought the prices were fair.

The owner is really friendly and tells about where the toy came from and who made it.

I think I would have given this place a higher rating if I wasn't still recovering from the battle wounds of climbing the hill. Lot of effort and most of my day went to walking here!

3  Thank Emma L
Patricia G, owner`s wife at Rocking Horse Toy Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Hi Emma,
thanks for making the hard trek up the hill! We are glad you found something you liked and that you found it worthwhile in the end. Next time, let me suggest taking tram no. 22 to the Pohořelec stop, from where you can walk downhill a couple of minutes and be at the shop. Of course, on a humid day, the tram is sometimes no picnic either!

Just FYI, and for other visitors, If you have a stroller, you should board at the rear of the tram. Strollers have priority space there and people are always glad to give you a hand getting up into the tram. There is a button to notify the driver that you would need a little extra time to disembark. And you should find helping hands at that point too. We hope to see you again - the selection is always evolving...

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Based on Trip Advisor reviews that we had read, we decided to trek out to check this store out. We were not disappointed for sure!! It has a great selection of wooden toys, authentic Czech made metallic model cars and a good selection of stationary.

Would reccommend this place to anyone looking to buy genuine Czech made toys for their kids.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stumbled on this store, on our way to dinner and had a wonderful experience. We found just the perfect gifts for our grandkids back in the US.
The whole family came to Prague with us in June this year for couple of weeks to show our kids and grandkids, the place where my husband and I grew up. Although I know Prague very well I no longer know good places to shop for toys. They did not get much then, but they had a quality play ground time that they loved. I wanted to get them something special from this trip to remember Prague. My 7 year old grandson wanted to ride on the tram and when we finally took all of them, (his 5 year old sister and 3 year old brother)they all loved it. So I thought a small red tram would make a great gift for each of the boys, (I already had a princess puppet for my granddaughter). I was hopeful that this would be the place to find it.The young lady(Veronica),, that was helping us tried really hard to think where we could get it, but with not much time left in our visit I knew that if I did not find here, I will not find it. My husband (Grandpa) was busy playing with the tractors-beautiful, but too complex for the 3 year old. The 7 year old could handle it, but the 3 year old would break it. We wanted to linger just a bit longer, since we were recognizing toys of our childhood in the mix. As we were leaving, I looked up to the ceiling, and there it was. A red metal cable car ( funicular), that also came in yellow and blue, great, so the boys each would have their own color. We had taken them on the cable car ride in June (to the top of the Petrin Hill), they enjoyed the ride and remembered that as one of the highlights of the trip.
I was also pleased, that what I was buying, was made in the Czech republic and not in China. Veronica suggested to try out the toys to make sure they were perfect and even gave us cute little gift bags-nice touch :)
It turned out to be the perfect gift from a charming store, one that we will definitely visit again,while in Prague.

5  Thank Wenovo
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This little shop will make you smile!

Superb quality of the different wooden toys. There are other toys as well..
Superb service from the friendly owner.
Superb prices, lower than elsewhere.

I have to visit again.