“Great place”
Review of Hostel Florenc

Hostel Florenc
Ranked #63 of 702 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Really a great place to stay! especially for a solo traveler not really wanting to sleep in a room with a bunch of people in it. It's really clean, convenient, and the staff are very helpful and nice (especially Eva (I hope I'm remembering her name right :))..... it's a short walk from the center and has everything you need there. It's not a crazy party place, but it's a nice, comfortable, clean place to come back to after you've done whatever you came to Prague to do!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard are more expensive, but are quieter and have balconies.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Just to follow up on a couple of points that my travel partner posted about below, first regarding the rain storm that soaked her belongings, electronics and travel mementos. The window's were indeed shut. There is a double window in the rooms (inner and outer) and both were closed and locked tightly. We made sure that windows were closed each day with the shades drawn because the room was basically an oven and keeping the shades drawn seemed to keep the room at least marginally less hot (I'll get back to that in a moment). If the hostel has video of our windows being open during the storm, I have to say I would absolutely LOVE to see that. Perhaps they could post it to youtube or something and share the link here? That would be truly enlightening. Maybe we were foolish for leaving a bag under the window, but I guess our foolishness was to assume that two windows, closed and locked, would protect us during a storm. The hostel's response also claimed that the cleaning staff was always closing windows and blinds, and it's not their fault if they are opened again. That would be fine if the staff cleaned the rooms on a regular basis, but our room was cleaned once, after we asked for the second time (as it was not cleaned the first time we asked). And it was not cleaned the day of the storm, we closed the windows ourselves. Furthermore we were out of the room the entire day. If the staff closed the windows, as the reply asserts, they would have remained closed all day, because we left the room in the morning and did not return until the evening. As for the bathrooms, ours was cleaned once in the 8 days we stayed in our second room, and that only happened after we asked about the sink being clogged up. When there are ensuite bathrooms, that's one thing. But in any situation where there is a sharing of bathrooms, not cleaning the rooms on a daily basis, or at least every other day, is just plain gross.

To be honest prior to reading the hostel's response to my partner's review, I was just going to let it go, and let bygones be bygones. During our stay the pleasantness of the desk staff was really the only thing that kept us staying there. They really did their best to accommodate us through all of our problems. After switching rooms after the first night because of excessive noise from the construction outside, we arrived in our new room and quickly found out that it was basically an externally heated oven. Every day the rooms were at least 5 degrees hotter than the weather outside, and probably 8 degrees hotter than the hallway, which had no external windows. Up and down the corridor, guests were propping open the two doors (room door and room block door) which separated their rooms from the hallway, in the hopes of getting even a little cooler air to come into their room. When we asked the desk attendant on our second night if there were any fans available, she seemed a little flustered but politely offered us one of the two fans they had available in the reception area, which, again, was very kind of her. Having said that, we've been traveling for 11 months now through southeast and central Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. In that time we've often ended up staying in the cheapest accommodation available because of our budget. In that time this was exactly the second instance where at the very least a fan (and often even AC) was not made available to the guest in each and every room. Of course we don't expect AC in every place we stay. But I feel like a fan is basic minimum provision. I also understand that Prague is not your typical warm weather destination, but it has summer like anywhere else, and in my personal opinion during this particular time the heat made these rooms dangerously overheated. I have no idea how any of the other guests managed without fans.

Moving back to our particular situation, the staff was again very helpful about the lost camera. They helped me look for it when I realized that it was missing a day later, and they helped me by printing up a statement on their letterhead that I had lost my camera there, to aid in my insurance claim. Although they claim in their reply below that the only people in the room were the cleaners, they told me at the time that someone had stayed in the room and had since checked out...I don't know what the changing story is about. Regardless, I'm an idiot. I left my camera in the room. I accept that. I don't blame Hostel Florenc for my own stupidity. But assuming their original statement is true, it leaves two possibilities. Either one of their cleaning staff did indeed find the camera and decided to keep it, or they simply didn't clean the room well, and whoever stayed in the room after us found the camera that had been missed during the insufficient cleaning job. Either way, it doesn't lend itself to a particularly professional image of the cleaning staff. But, as I said, the whole thing is my fault and I in no way hold them responsible for it.

Once again, I do want to commend the desk staff on their helpfulness (with one exception, the woman with the red-dyed hair, she was extremely rude, and basically accused us of lying about the windows as soon as we came downstairs to inquire about talking to the manager the next morning). When we met the manager he seemed extremely understanding as well (although it was a little disturbing to find out that, 7 days later he had not even heard about the missing camera). Anyway, we don't go around looking for handouts from places we stay, and although the hostel ended up refunding us about 85% of a night's stay, I really would have been happy with nothing, if the desk staff had been more apologetic, and exhibited more professional customer service. But, as I noted before, the woman with the red-dyed hair instead accused us of leaving our windows open several times, and even as we were leaving and they were refunding us the partial night's stay, she was muttering under her breath about it. That, paired with the extremely uncomfortable condition of the room, and the hostel's attitude and baseless (I can assure you) accusations in their response, led me to write this review.

The staff may have overall been very understanding and helpful, but at the end, this comes down to whether or not I would stay there again, or recommend a friend to stay there, and the answer to that is an unequivocal "NO". After 11 months, I feel like we have gotten a pretty good feel for what makes the difference between a good place and a bad place. We've stayed in quite a few good places. This one has about 10% right. The other 90% fails miserably.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at this hostel for 3 nights in a private room which was okey, very basic but you can't really expect more for the money we have paid. The room was very hot and when we opened the door needed to turn off the lights as million bugs were coming in the room, they were everywhere. It was too hot so we had to open the windows. Also there is a constructions going on just outside of the hostel. Definitely not the place for a relaxed sleep. It was a bit dirty also...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Hostel Florenc for 2 nights in July and would definately recommend it. The rooms were clean, it's basically on top of the metro station as well as the main bus terminal. Old town is a short stroll away and there's a small convenience store next door.
The rooms are very hot though as there is no air con so if this is important to you maybe look at other places.
The free breakfast was possibly the best I've seen at a hostel in Europe but there's no kitchen to save cash with self catering.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

After staying a grand total of nine nights, I can assure you, we SHOULD have left sooner and you should not even consider staying here. I consider us to be very patient travelers at this point (currently in month 11 after living abroad for 8 years) which is why we continued to stay here, that and the majority of the front desk girls were very kind and tried to help us whenever they could. In the end though, I wish we would have left a lot sooner, and my body does too- as I have not gotten a good night's sleep in the past nine nights.

Our first morning, we woke up to loud construction outside of our room, we were able to change to a different room, but accidentally forgot one of our cameras in the room. Our fault. Totally. But when we went back to ask for it later, we were told no one had found it. So, either the cleaning ladies did not do a thorough job, or they took the camera. But still, our fault in the end... And the front desk provided a letter for insurance purposes and we appreciated that.

Our new room faced the bus parking lot. We didn't feel that we were next to the bus station, but rather INSIDE of it. It proved to be MORE noisy than the side of the building with construction, only worse as several buses would fire up their engines at the same time between 3 and 4 in the morning, waking both of us up. It was actually a little alarming because it was so loud, I was afraid a bus was coming inside the building. Sometimes, if we were lucky, an alarm would go off as well. Again, alarming, scaring us awake so much that we wouldn't be able to fall back asleep and would eventually get up grumpy and unrested. Not the way you want to enjoy Prague. Like I said above, I haven't woken up rested the entire time we stayed there. We would be woken up between 3-4, then try to fall back asleep, but then it would be too loud, so we would shut the windows and basically sweat ourselves to sleep until we had to force ourselves up to get breakfast by 10:30.

In the first bathroom we shared, the windowsill was COVERED with dead flies. In the second, the bathroom sink was so stopped up, I had to ask for it to be fixed... And the bathroom wasn't cleaned daily. This wouldn't be a problem if we were the only ones using it, but we were sharing- and there was often water and dirty towels on the floor and soap all over the sink. There was no ventilation for the bathroom either, so it was literally a hot mess.

The room appeared to be very clean -aside from the dead mosquito still stuck to the wall next to the bed- I should have took that as an omen, because every night, if we wanted the windows open, something you HAD to do because it was so hot, you had to turn off all of the lights or else you would quickly have a swarm of mosquitoes, flies, misc. bugs flying around your room. With the windows open at night, we would wake up to dead flies in our bed- from rolling over or hitting them in our sleep. We had to ask for cleaning service twice because the first time no one showed up...

To help keep the room cooler, we would shut all of the windows during the day. This worked in our favor during a day of torrential rain. Except, when we came back we noticed that my bag was SOAKED. We have no clue where it came in from- blew in through two sets of windows? From the ceiling? It soaked through cases of electronics, a bag full of round the world ticket stubs and my travel journal... I had to wring everything out, hang it up, spread it out on the floor of our room, ask for extra towels... It was a mess.

The next morning when we asked to speak to a manager about it, the red-head at the front desk was completely rude and unhelpful. We told her we had all of the windows shut, but she didn't seem to believe us and insisted it was our fault and sulkily delivered us to the manager. The manager was kind and listened to our week in full and informed us he had not heard about the missing camera... which made me wonder why none of the girls at the front desk thought to let him know. If I were a manager, I would want to know a $1600 camera went missing from a room, even if we accepted responsibility for its loss! He said he would think about what he could do (re: the rain soaked bag at least) for us to check back in with the front desk later that night, or the next morning when we checked out.

Upon checkout, the same redhead was behind the front desk. Again, she was completely rude. It was as if both of the girls were going to let us leave without addressing our conversation with the manager. We had to ask and explain the situation again- even though the redhead knew all about it. We were given a 90% refund for one night - out of the nine we stayed (to make up for the rain). But it was as if they were going to let us leave without giving it to us- and the entire time, the redhead was talking under her breath about how it wasn't their responsibility- EVEN THOUGH ALL OF OUR WINDOWS WERE SHUT!

I left downright furious with the redhead receptionist. Had she simply apologized or tried to be helpful (like all of the other receptionists) I would have thanked them for the refund (even though it wasn't even one full night's stay) and simply would have been on my way. I probably wouldn't have left such a scathing review, and instead would have suggested future guests to stay in a room facing the courtyard (with a private bathroom) in hopes it would be quieter than all of the other rooms...

But I'm simply appalled at her attitude after we stayed (and paid for) for so long- accepted responsibility for a missing camera- dealt with construction noise- then dealt with bus station noise- then dealt with the heat- had to ask for a fan- looked at other rooms that would be possibly cooler/quieter- the bugs- the lack of cleanliness- but then to have my bag completely drenched when we were responsible and closed the windows only to have her treat us terribly? NO. Anyone in the hospitality industry should know better.

We should have left sooner.

Now my bag smells like mildew, I don't even know if some of my electronic converters/camera flash will work, and some of my souvenir tickets and (priceless) journal have been ruined. And the only thing Hostel Florenc did? Gave us less than one full night's refund and didn't even apologize...

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in a room facing the bus station parking lot. It looked like all of the dorm rooms were...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
AlesMo, Manager at Hostel Florenc, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

We are thankful for all the comments we receive - does not matter if positive or negative. The negative feedback can help us improve our services too.
We hope that it is clear from the description of the hostel that the hostel is not located in a totally quiet location. We know that the location is not perfect but we can not do anything else than offering lower price in comparison with other hostels of the same category. Which is exactly the thing we do. It is also needed to keep in mind that hostels in the city centre can not guarantee such a big level of quietness.
There was an unusually massive storm on July 29 in Prague - with rain and very strong wind. According to our camcorder recordings, the windows of the client’s room were opened during the storm and that is the way how the water could get into the room. We are very sorry that the client had to deal with such troubles but our cleaning staff is always closing the windows and blinds - to prevent the rain and heat. If someone opens windows again, after the cleanup, we can not do anything about that.
The client reported forgotten camera in the previous room which she had left. We have checked the camcorder recordings also in this case and realized that after client’s leave of the room there were only 2 persons inside - the cleaning staff (2 persons cleaning the room together) - both are employed in our hostel for a very long time and we guarantee their reliability and honesty. After the cleaning, the room was entered only by the employer who was searching for the forgotten camera. Nobody else entered the room meanwhile. We provide safety lockers free of charge to deposit more expensive belongings. Those are located at the reception. The hostel is not responsible for expensive belongings left in the room.
We are glad for the feedback about the tidiness of the rooms. We will take more care about that and we will be checking the quality of the cleaning more often. Problems with insects are caused by its outstanding presence during this period of the year. If the room has opened windows and lamps are turned on then it can be annoying for our guests, we know about that. Some untidiness can be also caused by the fact that bathrooms are shared by more rooms.
We regret that our client has found reasons to write such a negative review and we are really sorry if she was not satisfied with our services. We try to do our best and try to offer services comparable with other hostels on this price level. We hope that other positive reviews on Tripadvisor indicate that we do our job well and that this evaluation was exceptional. In this case I personally admire the reviewer that despite of all the negatives she had found she was able to stay in our hostel for 9 days in total and twice prolong her stay.
Ales Motyl / Hostel Florenc Prague

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I am here for 3rd time in a month. Excellent hostel. And my partner is a wheelchair user, if you state in advance.you can stay on disabled room, for no extra cost.

Staff are very helpful, and will o what ever they can to assist. I can recommenced this place highly enough.
Rooms were always very clean, and the breakfast was good enough for the price.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

The staff of Hostel Florenc was really good and cooperative. The rooms were also good and properly maintained and cleaned. The breakfast was also good. I would recommend to stay at Hostel Florenc as it is located very near to Florenc Bus Stop.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo