“More like a hotel than a hostel”
Review of Hostel Florenc

Hostel Florenc
Ranked #62 of 656 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Seattle, Washington
“More like a hotel than a hostel”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was the nicest hostel I stayed in during a 2 month trip through Europe. It's only a 10-15 min walk from the train station and about 20-25 min away from the old town area. I found the hostel very easily despite what other reviewers have said - Google Maps worked well. The hostel is near the bus station, which I suppose could be dodgy late at night, but I never had any issues or felt unsafe as a solo female traveler. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, and were able to answer all of my questions.

I splurged on a private room with ensuite bathroom, and it only cost $150 for 4 nights in October. The room was huge and the bathroom was equipped with a hair dryer, heated rack for drying clothes (very helpful), and large shower. The room also came with a large private balcony. The included breakfast was bland but free, and I saw lots of people eating there every morning.

This place is definitely more like a hotel than a hostel, and most of the people I saw there were older couples or families. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone looking for a hostel, party atmosphere.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I suspect this hostel is new because everything was in perfect condition. It's next to the bus station so very easy to find. The breakfast is included and they have wifi. It's reasonably central so it doesn't take too long to get the tram into the main tourist areas.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stevenlogiacco
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We checked in around 11pm and the lady at reception was lovely and was helpful with any questions we asked. We only stayed for one evening and left in the morning, had a nice stay. The room was basic but clean and nice to be in. It was quite hot when we go in but we kept the window open and the noise from the bus station was fine and we had no problems.
Location is pretty central, it's only a five/ten minute walk to the centre and everywhere in Prague is within walking distance. Overall it was a good experience, there was no noise from other guests and we slept well ahead of a long bus journey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Paris, France
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Really a great place to stay! especially for a solo traveler not really wanting to sleep in a room with a bunch of people in it. It's really clean, convenient, and the staff are very helpful and nice (especially Eva (I hope I'm remembering her name right :))..... it's a short walk from the center and has everything you need there. It's not a crazy party place, but it's a nice, comfortable, clean place to come back to after you've done whatever you came to Prague to do!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard are more expensive, but are quieter and have balconies.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Just to follow up on a couple of points that my travel partner posted about below, first regarding the rain storm that soaked her belongings, electronics and travel mementos. The window's were indeed shut. There is a double window in the rooms (inner and outer) and both were closed and locked tightly. We made sure that windows were closed each day with the shades drawn because the room was basically an oven and keeping the shades drawn seemed to keep the room at least marginally less hot (I'll get back to that in a moment). If the hostel has video of our windows being open during the storm, I have to say I would absolutely LOVE to see that. Perhaps they could post it to youtube or something and share the link here? That would be truly enlightening. Maybe we were foolish for leaving a bag under the window, but I guess our foolishness was to assume that two windows, closed and locked, would protect us during a storm. The hostel's response also claimed that the cleaning staff was always closing windows and blinds, and it's not their fault if they are opened again. That would be fine if the staff cleaned the rooms on a regular basis, but our room was cleaned once, after we asked for the second time (as it was not cleaned the first time we asked). And it was not cleaned the day of the storm, we closed the windows ourselves. Furthermore we were out of the room the entire day. If the staff closed the windows, as the reply asserts, they would have remained closed all day, because we left the room in the morning and did not return until the evening. As for the bathrooms, ours was cleaned once in the 8 days we stayed in our second room, and that only happened after we asked about the sink being clogged up. When there are ensuite bathrooms, that's one thing. But in any situation where there is a sharing of bathrooms, not cleaning the rooms on a daily basis, or at least every other day, is just plain gross.

To be honest prior to reading the hostel's response to my partner's review, I was just going to let it go, and let bygones be bygones. During our stay the pleasantness of the desk staff was really the only thing that kept us staying there. They really did their best to accommodate us through all of our problems. After switching rooms after the first night because of excessive noise from the construction outside, we arrived in our new room and quickly found out that it was basically an externally heated oven. Every day the rooms were at least 5 degrees hotter than the weather outside, and probably 8 degrees hotter than the hallway, which had no external windows. Up and down the corridor, guests were propping open the two doors (room door and room block door) which separated their rooms from the hallway, in the hopes of getting even a little cooler air to come into their room. When we asked the desk attendant on our second night if there were any fans available, she seemed a little flustered but politely offered us one of the two fans they had available in the reception area, which, again, was very kind of her. Having said that, we've been traveling for 11 months now through southeast and central Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. In that time we've often ended up staying in the cheapest accommodation available because of our budget. In that time this was exactly the second instance where at the very least a fan (and often even AC) was not made available to the guest in each and every room. Of course we don't expect AC in every place we stay. But I feel like a fan is basic minimum provision. I also understand that Prague is not your typical warm weather destination, but it has summer like anywhere else, and in my personal opinion during this particular time the heat made these rooms dangerously overheated. I have no idea how any of the other guests managed without fans.

Moving back to our particular situation, the staff was again very helpful about the lost camera. They helped me look for it when I realized that it was missing a day later, and they helped me by printing up a statement on their letterhead that I had lost my camera there, to aid in my insurance claim. Although they claim in their reply below that the only people in the room were the cleaners, they told me at the time that someone had stayed in the room and had since checked out...I don't know what the changing story is about. Regardless, I'm an idiot. I left my camera in the room. I accept that. I don't blame Hostel Florenc for my own stupidity. But assuming their original statement is true, it leaves two possibilities. Either one of their cleaning staff did indeed find the camera and decided to keep it, or they simply didn't clean the room well, and whoever stayed in the room after us found the camera that had been missed during the insufficient cleaning job. Either way, it doesn't lend itself to a particularly professional image of the cleaning staff. But, as I said, the whole thing is my fault and I in no way hold them responsible for it.

Once again, I do want to commend the desk staff on their helpfulness (with one exception, the woman with the red-dyed hair, she was extremely rude, and basically accused us of lying about the windows as soon as we came downstairs to inquire about talking to the manager the next morning). When we met the manager he seemed extremely understanding as well (although it was a little disturbing to find out that, 7 days later he had not even heard about the missing camera). Anyway, we don't go around looking for handouts from places we stay, and although the hostel ended up refunding us about 85% of a night's stay, I really would have been happy with nothing, if the desk staff had been more apologetic, and exhibited more professional customer service. But, as I noted before, the woman with the red-dyed hair instead accused us of leaving our windows open several times, and even as we were leaving and they were refunding us the partial night's stay, she was muttering under her breath about it. That, paired with the extremely uncomfortable condition of the room, and the hostel's attitude and baseless (I can assure you) accusations in their response, led me to write this review.

The staff may have overall been very understanding and helpful, but at the end, this comes down to whether or not I would stay there again, or recommend a friend to stay there, and the answer to that is an unequivocal "NO". After 11 months, I feel like we have gotten a pretty good feel for what makes the difference between a good place and a bad place. We've stayed in quite a few good places. This one has about 10% right. The other 90% fails miserably.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at this hostel for 3 nights in a private room which was okey, very basic but you can't really expect more for the money we have paid. The room was very hot and when we opened the door needed to turn off the lights as million bugs were coming in the room, they were everywhere. It was too hot so we had to open the windows. Also there is a constructions going on just outside of the hostel. Definitely not the place for a relaxed sleep. It was a bit dirty also...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Hostel Florenc for 2 nights in July and would definately recommend it. The rooms were clean, it's basically on top of the metro station as well as the main bus terminal. Old town is a short stroll away and there's a small convenience store next door.
The rooms are very hot though as there is no air con so if this is important to you maybe look at other places.
The free breakfast was possibly the best I've seen at a hostel in Europe but there's no kitchen to save cash with self catering.

• Stayed July 2013