“Unfriendliest bar in Prague”
Review of Hoffa

Hoffa
Ranked #976 of 5,821 Restaurants in Prague
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nové Město (New Town)
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A colleague recommended this bar to me. I was in Prague last weekend (26-27 April) and went there for a drink on Saturday night. I never actually got my drink. As I headed to the bar, I was greeted by the doorman. The conversation went like this. Doorman "There is not enough room for you to have a drink." I pointed out the bar was half empty. "But we have a private party, you will disturb people." Are you saying the bar is closed? "No". So why can't I have a drink? "There are no seats." I said I just wanted to stand at the bar and have a drink. The doorman consulted the barman, who shook his head. By which time I had decided I no longer wanted to have a drink there, even if he had relented.

I suspect they are trying to be exclusive. As I was leaving, the doorman also refused entry to three young Czech women in their 20s. So it wasn't a case of me being too old (early 50s) and uncool for the place. My only consolation was that their attitude problem applies to locals and tourists alike.

Instead I went to the Groove Bar, which was friendly, with great music but a bit smoky - like most bars in Prague.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

First impression was mixed, I hoped for a quiet, cosy bar and this place looked like a students pub, which I did not expected. What got me to stay was the service from opening the door and entering the bar. I was greeted with sile immediately, because I was earlier there and my table was not ready yet, I was seated to the bar and offered a drink. Later I was seated and the service continued to be perfect and attentive whole evening. Wine was great and the food (tapas style simple refreshment) was excellent. The bar was very lively, even with live music later and so a bit noisier, but I must say it was a very pleasant evening and I recommend this place a nice spot for couple of drinks.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Came across this place close to our hotel, Prague Design 987. Great place for wine and small plates. Relaxed atmosphere in early evening, with pleasant service.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We did feel neglected by the service: bar was almost empty still we waited at least 20 minutes every time for anyone even to realize our glasses are empty, 40 minutes to get quesadilla. Pleasant waiters were not able to help with choosing the cocktail as they did not know the ingredients of the Hoffa “signatures”. Also when asked for sth sweet with rum the advice was espresso martini... It seemed there was some bar’s friends’ party going on and the attention from the staff was focused there. That is a real pity as the place seems cool to grab a few drinks after a hard day sightseeing/working, finger food is really nice and prices accessible - still not enough if you have to endlessly wait to get it.

1  Thank Magdalena C
Reviewed 6 October 2013

laid back bar with great finger food..the service was really good too. but there's nothing really special about the place,recommended if staying in the neighbourhood.